Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

lady wakasa
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Well, thanks, both of you! I'll try to find her and ask about it. It sounded pretty entertaining when you mentioned it.

marantzo
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
lulu, are you on drugs or something. First I read your post in Current and you mention 'it' is coming to a theatre near you and start talking about it without saying what it is. Mentioning Hanks I imagine it is The DaVinci Code. Then I come here and you start talking about 'the above' and saying how awful it was. It had Danny Glover in it apparently, but there were no films above for many posts back that were even close to having Glover in them. ??????
Nancy
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

I think the problem is that lulu tends to put subject lines on her posts, which don't show up for those of us using the thirdeye color scheme, so we don't always know what she is talking about.

Isaacism, 2009
dlhavard
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I afraid I'm one of those "DaVinci Codes for Dummies" people (there Really really is a book with that name). I gave up about 1/4th the way through the book and never finished it.

So I'm kinda looking forward to seeing the movie and finally knowing what the wooha is all about.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=135113

TCM Airs Previously Lost Valentino Films in May 2006

Looking forward to it! I have already dragooned Syd into taping them.

Isaacism, 2009
lady wakasa
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
My sister (well, probably b-in-law) will be taping the Young Rajah fragment. She just doesn't know it yet. %^}

marantzo
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
Gary,

I think the problem is that lulu tends to put subject lines on her posts, which don't show up for those of us using the thirdeye color scheme, so we don't always know what she is talking about.

Ah, yes. Thank you Nancy. I think the words in the subject line should be larger.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I dare mention "Showgirls" as I'd like to keep my sanity, but I have to say that I don't quite understand classifying screenwriter Joe Eszerhas as "European." Granted he _was_ born in Hungary in 1944, but his family moved to Cleveland when he was 6 years old.
He went to high school there. His jobs have included writing for the "Cleveland Plain Dealer" and "Rolling Stone."

I'd label him a bona-fide Hungarian-American.

--------
Also, I'm curious why Marilyn uses the word "sleazemeister" to refer to Lars von Trier in the "Showgirls" review. Granted the guy's done some pretty bizarre films, but I've never considered any of them sleazy. Maybe I missed something.

Just curious.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Here's a rave for "Showgirls." The author David Schmader did the commentary on the DVD mentioned below.

www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/2004/072904/film1.html

----------------------

I was searching other reviews of "Showgirls" and found out that a V.I.P. edition of the movie was released in 2004 complete with pasties and shot glasses. You can buy it discounted at amazon.com.

Sounds like the perfect gift for that special someone.

Wink
ehle64
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Among some nice and recent home viewing toodles was Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be. Unfortunately Carole Lombard's final performance. It's some kind of zany masterpiece. I never knew what it was with Jack Benny, well, if you see his performance in this you'll probably get a good idea why he was so famous and popular for so long.

I remember a few of you mentioning Keane. I was floored by this film and that had everything to do with Damian Lewis' stunningly intimate portrait of William Keane. I didn't know too much about this flick before viewing it and think it works best that way. If anyone else wanted to converse about it with proper *SPOILER* alerts, I'd be too game.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
Glad you liked the movie, Ehle, but it doesn't remotely touch on what made Jack Benny so popular; very little of the "Jack Benny persona" is there, beyond the egomania. Actually, the movie was a flop (undeservedly). But try to check out reruns of The Jack Benny Programme, Raymond Burr's guest shot an an incompetant/insane lawyer is particularly good; or buy some CDs of old radio. Very much worth it

-Topher
lady wakasa
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
Lubitsch is one of the greatest directors ever, but I'm not sure why his stuff is so hard to find. Maybe his fairly early death, maybe the time period (the idea of "film history" wasn't big yet - the studios were actively destroying silents to make room in their vaults), maybe no real champions to make sure he didn't get forgotten. But it's a shame that people know so little about him.

dlhavard
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
My two favorite Benny movies were George Washington Slept Here and Charley's Aunt. They were much better than To be.....

However there is a great cartoon that was a take off on Jack Benny's program and the characters on it: The Mouse That Jack Built. It was a very funny cartoon and good take on Jack Benny's persona.

It shows every so often on Turner.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Actually, not only is To Be or Not To Be not a great indication of Benny's talent, it isn't a particularly good example of Lubitsch's, either; it's very much outside of his usual mode.

Lady,

I wonder about that myself. It does seem to me that usually old movies get marketed today on the basis of the stars involved, and so it might be that companies see less money in releasing an old Miriam Hopkins picture than a Clark Gable movie.

-Topher
bart
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
To the poster who wanted DVC for Dummies:

1. The Catholics got rid of the sacred feminine, wanted an all-guy priesthood and no pagan yin/yang stuff, but it snuck back in in the form of pagan symbols and secret stuff in Renaissance paintings and vaginal church doors and all that.

2. The Catholics wanted JC to be divine, not an ordinary human. So he couldn't be married or have had kids.

3. But he was, and he did. I won't spoil it for you with the details.

4. Giant albinos are really handy for covert operations where you don't want witnesses to remember anything.

5. Anagrams are fun.

Hope that helps.