Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

mo_flixx
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen TWENTY-FOUR for about 6 weeks. Can someone please bring me up to date.

I'm dying to know what's going on with Chloe that is so tantilizing.

Appreciate this MUCHO!
carrobin
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Mo: It's not so much that she's doing anything that much different from she has in previous seasons, but at the moment she's Jack's only ally who can actually help him. That means she has to gather all the information he needs from various sources and patch it through to his cell phone, and she's shown not only her usual smart-girl speed but also a lot of desperate initiative this time around.

Right now I'm not sure I could outline the plot, even if I had time. But after last night's show, I now know how to get aboard a plane and kidnap a passenger in flight without anyone noticing. Though I have a feeling I wouldn't be quite as good at it as Jack is. (And, of course, I wouldn't have Chloe sending me the passenger list and the location of the air marshal.)
bart
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Wish I could get into what sounds like quality TV, but I avoid shows (generally) where you have to show up every week. Also, it's possible I have a weakness for forms that have a slower pace. Not sure what that's about, beyond an awareness that actual life in the US seems frenetic in its pace, so I don't seek the reflection of those rhythms in art. "Lost" is perfect for me, because events unfold rather sluggishly, in keeping with its tropical island ambience.

So, my liking for Prison Break is inexplicable. But dang if those boys aren't an ingenious bunch. The only clanger last night was the black guy beating and stomping on this brother with all these little baggies of peroxide taped to his leg, and somehow they all remained intact. The rest was about as good as escape thrillers get.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
I usually try not to get into TV shows that demand such attention either, but "24" was such an intriguing premise from the start that I had to check it out, and once you're hooked, it's hard to let go.
lulu
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tonight is the last season episode and I will have withdrawl symptoms. This Saturday is the last Met broadcast, also bringing withdrawal symptoms. I gotta get a life because it's going to be a long summer. Sad

Well, there is LA in June to see the twins who will be SIX! And to visit my nephew and his kids (and his beautiful swimming pool) in Philly.

And probably go to NY for a show or two (however, since Met raised their prices and a seat will cost me $225 a pop plus handling fees, hotel, and train) gotta save my money.

Still, Supernatural is the one show I've stuck with all season. And I'm waiting anxiously for reruns of Rome on HBO. I'd get a dvd player just to buy the first season.
dlhavard
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Been watching Texas Ranch House, a pretty good series that just started and is along the lines of Frontier house, et al. This is my favorite kind of reality show.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/1867.html

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
Been watching Texas Ranch House, a pretty good series that just started and is along the lines of Frontier house, et al. This is my favorite kind of reality show.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/1867.html

I saw an ad for this, and it looks interesting. I may have to give it a try. This is what reality shows should be.

Isaacism, 2009
dlhavard
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Kinda fun. They're already getting on each other's nerves. And as for living in Texas after the Civil War I kinda agree with Gen. Phil Sheridan:

Quote:
If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
carrobin--As Richard Dawson used to say on Family Feud, "Good answer!" There is no way one could summarize the last six weeks of 24 in less than several pages of posts. As for Chloe, yeah, and how about zapping the frat boy???
carrobin
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Billy: I think that's when I decided Chloe should be president. She takes care of business.
marantzo
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
She certainly did right by him, but he didn't fit my idea of a frat boy.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
I just _had_ to see last night's "Dynasty" reunion show - "Catfights and Caviar." I never spent a lot of time watching "Dynasty" when it was on - but I wanted to check out the reunion show.
Lots of disastrous plastic surgery!
Most shocking is how Linda Evans looks these days. Some very bad work - her entire face is puffy and her lips are overinflated. Sad. She probably would look much better without any of it.
Joan Collins looks very much the same these days - which is not to say that she doesn't look artifical. She does.
Even the much younger Pamela Sue Martin looked like she'd had a bad eye job.

John Forsythe only appeared for the last few minutes of the show. He looked good, but the careful way he was shot and the behavior of the actors around him was a little suspect.
I just checked the imdb.com for him - they have him being born in 1918, but I suspect that he may actually have been born in 1916 because of bio details such as his high school graduation date.
The most interesting old footage on the show was a clip from Forsythe's "Bachlelor Father" TV show in which a dark haired Linda Evans made an appearance as a friend of his daughter's.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
It struck me that everyone was hitting flat notes on AI last night. They must be vocally worn at this point. I liked Chris the best, though I enjoyed Paris, too. Ryan Seacrest's funny-walking bit with Elliot may be the first time I've liked him (Seacrest, that is; Elliot's likable).

-Topher
bart
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Wm Shatner with a bullseye on his butt. Stupid, but it made me laugh. The whole corn syrup lawsuit thing seemed like the usual spoof on litigious lawyers -- but I'll bet the people who run Little Debbie got a chill, if they were watching. Maybe they SHOULD put warnings on those boxes -- I mean, anything that has 49 ingredients listed, and most of them are industrial chemicals....makes you wonder.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
"Boston Legal" was another of those shows like the Mad Cow episode--it was a bit of a stretch, but it sure made you think.

Saturday night our PBS station showed "Judgment at Nuremburg," which I hadn't seen since it first came out. Great film. And I was startled to see that Shatner was in the cast! Right there with Spencer Tracy, looking very young and, yes, very cute.