Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote
Went to the Tribeca Film Festival last night and saw The TV Set in an audience including Michael Moore, Jeff Garlin, Cher, and almost the entire cast of the movie--David Duchovny, Sigourney Weaver, Justine Bateman, Ioan Griffud (sp?) et al.

The movie is a hilarious and biting satire of the television industry, with Weaver scoring huge as a know-nothing but all-powerful executive and Duchovny in a career-changing star role as the writer-director of a sitcom pilot which undergoes several major changes during production.

This movie represents more than anything a quantum leap for Jake Kasdan, who doesn't have to be known any more as "Lawrence Kasdan's precocious son" but now is a big talent in his own right.

The movie bears comparisons with the "great" Network, the merits of which I realize I am in a very small minority about (I think it's overblown and overrated), in that they both deal with the television industry and take it apart piece by piece. But whereas Network was (IMO) fatally flawed by its own self-importance, The TV Set is first and foremost a mostly side-splitting comedy and only secondarily and more subtly a scathing expose of the ridiculous dealings that lead to the largely inferior product we see on the boob tube. (Weaver's character is an older, more powerful, and way, way, waaaay funnier version of Faye Dunaway in the 1970s "classic.") For me, the new movie is much better than Network--but you can bet the farm that most critics will say the opposite.

In any case, and at all costs, you should see it.

Justine Bateman, btw, was unrecognizable on screen as the sister in Family Ties, but in the Q&A after the screening she looked exactly like herself and was far more genuine than I expected. (She plays Duchovny's pregnant wife in the film.) Lucy Davis, who was Dawn the receptionist in the original British The Office, was Griffud's transplanted and disgruntled wife, and she was good albeit overqualified for the role. Nice to see her, though.
Earl
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
with Weaver scoring huge as a know-nothing but all-powerful executive

Wasn't Weaver's father an all-powerful executive? I wonder how much that influenced her performance.

Quote:
Lucy Davis, who was Dawn the receptionist in the original British The Office, was Griffud's transplanted and disgruntled wife, and she was good albeit overqualified for the role. Nice to see her, though.

Houston PBS only just started showing episodes of the British version of The Office. After some initial hesitation on my part (it hit so close to "work" for me that it made me a bit uneasy while watching it), I've really fallen for the show and Lucy Davis in particular. She is one of the many bright spots of the series.

Thanks for your description of the film. Sounds great.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Last episode was kind of boring and slow. But AJ is a pistol and a symptom of kids today running amok without any parental supervision. Both Tony and Carmela give in to him (although Carmela tries). And Robert Iler looks as if he's wasted in his personal life, too. Pretty scary.

And Julianna, the agent, willing to sell her body for a sale, except Tony ran out on her. And it's frightening to see neighborhoods go under because of the real estate boom. (I'd love to see it crash!) Neighborhood businesses going under because they cannot afford the rent. I see so many unrented stores in Old Town Alexandria, DC, Philly, etc. because the rents are so high that there aren't any takers. I suppose it's cheaper for landlords to have empty real estate than to lower the rents and have business. This show eptimized the values of today's society.

However, I'm getting tired of his meetings with his shrink and her meeting with her shrink.

And I think Little Stevie should stick with his day job.

I tried Huff; fell asleep!
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
When life imitates "art"....
---------------------------------------

'Sopranos' Actor Seeks Separate Trial - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060504/ap_en_tv/officer_slain
Marj
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
While HUFF the character and show have been struggling of late, tonight I saw hope for them both. I think the problem has been the writers have forgotten that at the core of the show is Huff and the other characters circle around him. But this season the characters have been stretched to thin. Almost to the breaking point.

But tonight the series showed a hint of getting back on track, mostly due to a wonderful performance by Hank Azaria, who after all, is HUFF's center. And with Huff's attempts to straighten himself out, he brings himself back as the central strength of the show.

HUFF may be the most uniquely character driven series I've ever seen. I have to hope that it returns to this and gives us back the characters we've come to care so much for.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Big Love continues to be interesting. Presents situations that seem real enough.
McBain
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Is this place really so dead?

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is this place really so dead?

this coming from a guy with a Simpson avatar.
Marc
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
and believe it or not mcbain I'm happy to see you.
McBain
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
The Simpsons aren't relevant now or somehow related to the HBO topic being dead? I don't get it?

Smile

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
whats HBO?
Jynx
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I adore Huff, although it has lately become the Oliver Platt show. But I think w/o Platt, it would be a total waste of time. To have Huff and the old lady get separated so quickly was a mistake. The show just came on ferkristsakes. I think Bird needs some deeper lines too, lipstick on the underwear and giving gramma a good talking to over a nice scotch (neat) isn't revving my engine.

The Soprano's really REALLY disappointed me. I've been loyal since day one and NOTHING happened. Carm has her house back so Tony can fuck the bada bing girls, Christopher (big surprise) is using ... he's my odds on to die even though he signed for the final seven ... and who the hell cares if the old gizzard breathes his last? I don't get why AJ dating an older hispanic girl is creating a buzz, Meadow is dating a gay guy.

Big Love was great. It was excellent that the one woman to everyone looks to to cover their relationship has let it out of the bag. Roman is going down and I'd love to see a couple of his squeeling, bitchy assed wives go too (you hear me Mary Kay Place???).

I want Weeds to come back.

I'm bored.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Jynx wrote:
I want Weeds to come back.

I'm with you 100% on this one, Pam.

So let me share this bit of good news from someone's blog:
Quote:
Its Official…. the season premiere of Weeds Season 2 is set for Monday July 17th…… mark your calenders…

I know this is the HBO forum, but hey.... Showtime's just as good when it comes to shows like Weeds.

(i think ehle will be happy to know this, if he doesn't already know)

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
Weeds never did it for me. At all. Way too impressed with its own cuteness. Meanwhile, I understand the Sopranos disappontment (though I don't really share it all that much). But where was it stated that Finn is gay? This is a new one on me. Or is it just a vibe you're getting? I don't see it.
Marj
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Once again Billy, you beat me to the punch. Pammy, please tell us. I find the idea of Finn being gay almost incredible, especially in light of the gang's response to Vito, who I miss already. This was one of the best plot lines of the season, IMHO. (His name was Vito, right?)

Last weeks HUFF was helped greatly by the prescence of Blythe Danner and her insights regarding men. For perhaps the first time we could see Izzy and Beth bonding. These character are moving out of the static arc that they've been in for far too long. I think. I hope. And I was even surprised at the family's response to HUFF leaving. I think he thought everyone would be understanding. HA!

I did try to get into Weeds. Maybe it was too impressed with its own cuteness. I'm not sure. I just lost interest.