Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

jeremy
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
As Tire may be discovering, I can recommend postings abroad for breaking the habit. At nineteen, I had the rock 'n' roll tiger by the tail, then I was sent to Hong Kong for a year. Ever since have been content to run my stick up and down its bars occassionally.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bart
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Tire, I share fond mems on some you listed -- though I suspect a guy who reads Foucault's Pendulum every three years got more out of Twin Peaks than I did. It would have helped if I'd watched the whole series, rather than catching it hit-and-miss. I did sort of follow Duchovny, in his weird FBI incarnation there, over into the X Files. Which I loved, iridium boogers and all.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I would never miss MOST of the movies on Z CHANNEL back in the '70's and '80's.

(definitely _not_ episodic TV, but a fine alternative to it!)
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE MAY SWEEPS ARE HERE!
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I admit I'm a little insane, but read this story about Elliott Yamin of American Idol.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnzq
Shane
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
Darn now I want to hear him sing!! I promised myself I would NOT watch this show....but this is different.
lulu
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone remember the hilarious series called A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie? I loved that show and Hugh Laurie was a perfect foil for Fry. I really missed that show when it was taken off the air. Somehow I cannot picture Lauris as the disagreeable House although it's called acting.

I wish they would rerun that series, almost as funny as Prime Minister and yes, Prime Minister.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
lulu wrote:
Anyone remember the hilarious series called A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie? I loved that show and Hugh Laurie was a perfect foil for Fry. I really missed that show when it was taken off the air. Somehow I cannot picture Lauris as the disagreeable House although it's called acting.

I wish they would rerun that series, almost as funny as Prime Minister and yes, Prime Minister.

I missed this, but Laurie as Jeeves and Fry as Wooster was very entertaining. I'm pretty sure the videos are still available from PBS.

BTW, I think Laurie might make a great Sir Peter Wimsey. I loved that series on PBS years ago...and Laurie could be great in a remake.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I was chatting with a friend a few months ago during "House," which my friend had never seen, and I mentioned that the actor had once been Bertie Wooster in a British series. My friend absolutely refused to believe me. I'd have been offended, but I might have reacted the same way if I didn't know Hugh Laurie's work.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I was chatting with a friend a few months ago during "House," which my friend had never seen, and I mentioned that the actor had once been Bertie Wooster in a British series. My friend absolutely refused to believe me. I'd have been offended, but I might have reacted the same way if I didn't know Hugh Laurie's work.

Sorry - I mixed up Jeeves and Wooster, but it wouldn't surprise me if Laurie and Fry actually _could_ switch their roles on this show. No doubt it would prove very amusing.
Earl
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
An interesting interview with Matt Groening (and thank you to IMDB for making it one of their featured links today):

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/47771

Futurama fans will like this bit:

Quote:
AVC: What can you say about the Futurama movies?

MG: We're going to do four of them, straight to DVD. And as we speak, I'm exchanging e-mails and ideas with David X. Cohen and Ken Keeler, both of whom worked on the show from the very beginning. Right now we're trying to figure out whether to do a giant epic, or separate crazy movies, or what. But I wager that Bender will be featured prominently.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Didn't watch Futurama regularly, but those I saw struck me as witty and too clever by half. I'd pay good money to see a film version.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
BTW, I think Laurie might make a great Sir Peter Wimsey. I loved that series on PBS years ago...and Laurie could be great in a remake.

You know, that's a good idea. I'd like it see it.

Isaacism, 2009
Earl
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Re Prison Break: It shouldn't be too long before everyone in the entire damn prison knows Michael & Co are breaking out. I'll be interested to see then how those who know and are inclined to stop them are somehow thwarted.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I take it back that Jack should marry Chloe. Chloe should be president! That was one terrific "24" tonight.