Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Specialty Forums - Westerns Through the Decades

lshap
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Westerns have always been the archetypal film genre representing an archetypal America, shifting in tone from simplistic patriotism to heavy social commentary, depending on the decade in which the film was made.
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
yaaaaaahoooo!!!!
Trish
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Some favorite Westerns:

The Long Riders
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Quick and the Dead
Little Big Man
Dances with Wolves (yes I liked it...deal with it)

Two I watched a lot as a kid - Rio Bravo, Cat Ballou, White Buffalo, Death hunt, probably a lot more but the titles are escaping me

I loved the TV series How the West Was Won, miniseries - Centennial, Here Comes the Brides (oh well that probably doesn't qualify)
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Maverick
WagonTrain
Cheyenne
BroncoLane
Bonanza
Sugarfoot
Broken Arrow

HHHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ok, I'm hyperventilating now........... Very Happy
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
hopefully lorne has notified yambu and we can round 'em up and roll 'em out before the weekend lull...
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Head 'em up
Move 'em out
................................RAWHIDE!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
i just knew someone was going to catch that, i was waiting to see who the real western fans were....
yambu
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, buckeroo, you caught me with my chaps down.
Ok, as moderator, howdy, ya'll. And thanks so much for the great suggestions over the past twelve hours. I would like us to begin with six of the best from the late '30's into the early '50's. We're going to start with Ehle's recommendation, Red River ('48), starring John Wayne and - guess who? - Montgomery Clift. Also John Ireland, Walter Brennan, and Noah Beery, Jr.

Here's the plot sum from Imdb:
Tom Dunson builds a cattle empire with his adopted son Matthew Garth. Together they begin a massive cattle drive north from Texas to the Missouri railhead. But on the way, new information and Dunson's tyrannical ways cause Matthew to take the herd away from Dunson and head to a new railhead in Kansas. Dunson, swearing vengeance, pursues.

The way I would like to work it is that as soon as we have five people say they're ready, then we'll proceed. The others can catch up later, as we'll be having an ongoing, cascading discussion as the five other films are brought in. Those five others, in order, are:

- Stagecoach ('39) - Claire Trevor, John Wayne (as the Ringo Kid), Andy Devine, and Louise Platt

- The Ox-Bow Incident ('43) - Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews, Anthony Quinn

- My Darling Clementine ('46) - John Ford directs Henry Fonda, Cathy Downs, and Victor Mature

- High Noon ('52) - Fred Zinnemann directs Gary Cooper, Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado, Grace Kelly, Lon Chaney, Jr., Henry Morgan....and "Do Not Foresake Me" is sung by Tex Ritter, not Frankie Laine

- Shane ('53) - Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Jack Palance, and the young Brandon De Wilde

All six films are available on DVD and VHS. Check your local library. OK, podners, saddle up!

Last edited by yambu on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
yambu
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Got a gig. I'll be gone until late tonight.
Nancy
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Great list, Yambu! Some real classics here. I studied all of them except The Ox-Bow Incident in film class; somehow I've never managed to see that one. Must correct that as soon as possible. I think I have most of these. I'm looking forward to this.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Since we seem to be listing our favorites, I'd like to mention my all-time favorite Western, The Outlaw Josey Wales. Others include The Long Riders, Rio Grande, The Outlaw, A Fistful of Dollars, The Cheyenne Social Club, and others too numerous to mention.

Isaacism, 2009
Trish
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
rio grande - not rio bravo?
Marc
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES is a great film.
Marc
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
off the top of my head, here's afew of my favorite westerns:

EL TOPO, DEAD MAN, THE LONG RIDERS, THE WILD BUNCH, PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, DJANGO, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, SOLDIER BLUE, SILVERADO, THE QUICK AND THE DEAD, THE GREAT SILENCE, THE PROFESSIONALS, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER...
yambu
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
I want to see and discuss every movie that's been mentioned here over the past two days. Let's plan on going until my alzheimer's sets in.
Once we get through these six, we can open it up to anything. It might be fun to dip into the B-Westerns of the same period - Hoot Gibson, Tom Mixx, Johnny Mack Brown, Lash Larue, Hopalong and Gabby, and a slew of John Wayne. Hell, we might even look at the singing cowboys. (I've read that Roy Rogers did one flic that wasn't half bad.) But Gene Autry? No fucking way, sorry. I draw the line right across his smug puss. His horse Champion, too, with those two silver cromed six-shooters hanging from his bridle bit.
And, in the spirit of social consciousness, someone here might come up with a film that exploits the native American to the hilt, while otherwise being watchable.
Finally, I'm heartened that no one as yet has recommended The Magnificent Seven.

Last edited by yambu on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total