Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Silent Movies

lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Well, there's an apparently seminal Irish silent - Irish Destiny - about to see the light of day (and DVD).

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0314/irishdestiny.html

I just emailed the Irish Film Institute about availability; we'll see what they say.

The rating on imdb is a bit (okay, a lot) depressing, although none of the nine voters bothered to explain their rating.
lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
bocce wrote:
we've only a handfull (four or five) contributors any longer. it's run its four months and run up the number of pages and posts lady W had hoped for, and then some. but i'd rather see a swift demise via the scymitar of the archive than the slow death ala LA BOEHEME...

I have no problem with this. I think we've also raised the profile of silents, so discussing in Couch isn't such a big thing now.

I'll check again in a day or so; if folks are in agreement, I'll ask Lorne to draw the curtains.

Quote:
we can always talk about silents in COUCH, but i think it's time to look for a new specialty forum...whaddaya think???

I thought we were doing the monthy forum thing instead. (I actually was wondering what was up with that, but haven't gotten the energy to ask yet.)
bocce
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
lady W...

SILENTS has been a terrific sucess overall, but all good things must come to an end (in order to make way for others)...

the monthly sub fora, while a great concept, isn't working in practise. it's kind of like the difference btwn a drive by shooting and an organised "hit". the keynote word and concept is organisation, which is what you, and the other specialty fora moderators have put into the larger genre or directors fora.

trust me, over ten years of participation, this is a group that needs shepherding...just don't leave me and marantz out on the range together...
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with the forum closing, but I note that there is a strong enough interest that the discussions keep going. Is there any need to close this forum down? Does it limit the space for other things? It seems to me, like the other permanent forums, to have a continuing life. Why not let it continue?

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Joe,

From time to time we can run into a problem with bandwidth. But by cleaning out Behind the Curtain monthly, deleting the Book to Film forum, I wouldn't think there is a problem right now. Only Lorne would.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
I didn't even realize there was a bandwidth issue. Shows my technological know-how.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
I hope the silent forum remains an on-going serial adventure.
It's been getting me to watch some silents, though I should be commenting more.

Last week, I finally watched The Thief of Bagdad, which was an enjoyable ride. Visually the film was very inventive. All sorts of imaginative stuff, like the jellyfish chandeliers in the underwater palace. The sets, especially of the main palace and city square, reminded me alot of Intolerance. It seemed like a cross between Intolerance and The Adventures of Prince Achmed. In many ways, Fairbanks' silent performance reminded me of ballet. He is constantly in motion and prancing and doing athletic stunts. A fun movie, with great energy and great sets. I also thought the tinting was effective in creating different moods.

I assume that the film was very successful in its day.
It really is like a fairy tale come to life.
Now I need to watch the Sabu re-make from 1940
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Sabu. The Sal Mineo of his day.

-Topher
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I adore the silent Thief of Baghdad. It has a terrific score and the flying carpet is a real show-stopper for me.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Speaking of The Thief of Bagdad, more Anna May Wong films at the American Museum of Moving Image this weekend:

http://www.movingimage.us/site/site.php

This weekend it's The Thief of Bagdad (1924); Chu Chin Chow; and A Study in Scarlet

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Nice line-up.