Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  As The Forum Turns: Topic - "The Juice"

Earl
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
People mention Catcher in the Rye. Does anyone really want to see a movie of that? The whole empahsis isn't on what happens (which is fairly mundane), but on how Holden perceives it. That's the key to the novel, why so many people have taken it to heart. Take away that controlling voice, that perspective, and what are you left with? Reducing it to a document of the exterior activities would take the heart out of the thing.

I'm one of those who mention it and I've been thinking about it since it was assigned to me in high school. I've reread it a handful of times since then. (I think I'm about due for another.) I used to think that Matthew Broderick, when he still looked young enough to play a teen, would've made a good Holden. And come to think of it, my musings on the subject never went beyond the casting of Holden. I never considered it the way you explained it above and you made an excellent point.

Another fave which, as far as I know, hasn't been filmed is G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. Even though it was written almost a century ago, I believe it is especially relevant in the post-9/11 world. In fact, it could just as easily be modernized and set in 2010 as in 1910. The casting of the character of Sunday (there I go again on the casting) might be tricky, but it could be done.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never read anything by Chesterton! Everyone who has says I'd love him.

I can see Broderick as Holden.

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I've never read anything by Chesterton! Everyone who has says I'd love him.

I can see Broderick as Holden.

Next time I see you I'll loan you my copy of The Man Who Was Thursday if you want. It's a fast read; my paperback copy is somewhere around 190 pages. It has "Property of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" stamped in it because I never returned it to my high school. I'm thinking of giving it back to my teacher (who is still on the faculty) when I go back for my 25th-year class reunion in 2008.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see a remake of All the King's Men. The movie was ok on its own, but it betrayed Robert Penn Warren's novel in many ways - or at least I thought so when I read the book. Of course, the character Willie Stark is loosly based on Huey P. Long, one of the most fascinating politicians of the last century. (Ever catch Ken Burns's documentary?)
A lot of the novel's action takes place in New Orleans, so this could be yet another boost for the city.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Did you know there's a remake coming out in October? Here's the cast:

Sean Penn .... Willie Stark
Jude Law .... Jack Burden
Kate Winslet .... Anne Stanton
Patricia Clarkson .... Sadie Burke
James Gandolfini .... Tiny Duffy
Mark Ruffalo .... Adam Stanton
Anthony Hopkins .... Judge Montague Irwin

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit. Sean Penn! That's great. Thanks. I should read the book again.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit. That cast!

Mark Ruffalo and Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) are doing a Clifford Odets play @ Lincoln Center. I'm salivating.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
...Most 20th century novels don't adapt well to the screen, maybe because they so largely take place within the conciousness of the character or characters. One of the major reasons Gatsby has never been successfully filmed (and they've tried and tried and tried). People mention Catcher in the Rye....

I think this can apply to a number of 19th C. authors as well. I'm surprised at the number of successful adaptations of Henry James to the screen (both large and small - tv).

Then there are the successful 20th C. adaptations of the novels of a different sort - the Clancys, the Grishams, ...and yes, _Gone With the Wind_.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 am; edited 2 times in total
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="Joe Vitus"]
Quote:
I'd love to see a director like Mary Harron or George Clooney take a stab at it. Both of them have adapted strange literary works brilliantly -- Harron with American Psycho, Clooney with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

After watching 1-1/2 seasons of "Crime Story," dare I suggest Michael Mann? Some the episodes demonstrate some truly brilliant visual insanity. The one I watched last night ("Femme Fatale") was partly inspired by '50's film noir and partly by John Frankenheimer's "Seconds."
daffy
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Christ, I haven't read All the King's Men in decades. Who's playing Sugar Boy?

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Marc
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
The new film version of ALL THE KING'S MEN has been sitting on the shelf for awhile. The buzz is bad. I bet its a stinker.
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Jackie Earle Haley. It looks like the only film I ever saw him in was Breaking Away.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wasn't he in the original Bad News Bears, too?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Yes. I've only seen part of that.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote
joe...

sorry i misinterpreted your intent re: the filmed version of CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES....