Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

bart
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm aware of the presence of ferrous alloys on jets. Even the passengers have some in their hemoglobin, not to mention steel pins in joints, though probably not enough to create much pull towards Wily magneteers.

Be sure and post something didactic now -- like how surgeons have shifted towards titanium alloys and the like.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
A one time engineering student, I can vaguely recall being acquainted with such terms as magnetic flux density and obscure units such as Tesla or Gauss, but no longer know what to do with them, if indeed I ever did. However, I seem the recollect that the strength of magnetic field was roughly proportional to the inverse cube of the distance from its source, i.e double the distance from the magnet and the strength of the magnetic field is reduced by a factor of about 8. So I would cocnur with your assertion that it would need a very big magnet indeed to influence a passing aircraft.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
lotang
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, so we have a GIANT magnet sitting somewhere on the island with an incredibly sophisticated targeting and guidance system manned by Wily E. Coyote or Simon Bar Sinister that affects passing airplanes or boats or balloons and brings them into the island. How does that explain the old wooden ship, The Black Rock which is sitting in the middle of the island?

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the polar bear, we might as well throw him in there, too. Wink
bart
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The wooden ship was built in times when magnetic compasses were available -- though you think someone would notice that the sextant readings and so on weren't matching up with the compass.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Attention Angel fans:

On Friday, March03 NBC will premier yet another Law & Order spinoff called Conviction. The main character is Alex Cabot, who was on Law & Order: S.V.U.. She was written out of the show when her character went into witness protection. Now she's out of witness protection and running her own office. J. August Richards, who played Charles Gunn on Angel will play an assistant D.A. in her office named Billy Desmond. He is described as "street-smart and politically driven."

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
So, Lost fans, whose fake beard was that in the wastebasket?

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, Earl. I may have to look for it.

Isaacism, 2009
carrobin
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I too will check out the new Law & Order--unless it's on opposite "Bones."
Earl
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
An interesting interview with Dominic Monaghan who plays Charlie on Lost:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=215569&GT1=300

I liked his observation here regarding the heroin inside the Mary statues:

Quote:
"One of the most interesting things they've written in the show right now is Charlie being a lapsed Christian but at some point was very, very into it. He has to destroy the thing he believes in to get to the thing that could ultimately destroy him, and that's a deep symbolic moment for Charlie. If he wants to get back on the drugs, he's going to have to smash this symbol of what he, at one point, held very holy and true, to get to something that could ultimately send him on a one-way path to destruction."

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
So, Lost fans, whose fake beard was that in the wastebasket?

Could it have been Zeke's? His beard looked weird to me both times we've seen him. Or maybe three times? Was that Zeke that Ethan was talking to at the door in Claire's flashback? The voice sounded similar.

I ended up enjoying the episode very much, but at first I was leery. "So they've run out of pre-plane crash flashbacks and they now have to flashback to stuff that's happened since they've been on the island?" I wondered. But it was a creepily effective way to handle Claire's missing time.

Did anyone besides me think Libby looked sexier than usual last night? Not that she didn't look good before, mind you.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It seemed to me, as well, that it was Zeke's beard. The guy in the lab appeared to be Zeke. I imagine the beard is part of the chieftain role he plays -- Dr. Moreau in disguise.

I thought Libby was the ne plus ultra of Island pulchritude, from her first appearance. But, you're right, she's done something that flatters her appearance.

I noticed the irony of the H containers -- a neat touch. Also a sly "religion is the opium of the people" reference?

The whole thing about grabbing babies and injecting pregnant bellies is reminiscent of the whole saucer abduction cult thing. The "Lost" stew seems to have every ingredient imaginable.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
bart wrote:
It seemed to me, as well, that it was Zeke's beard. The guy in the lab appeared to be Zeke. I imagine the beard is part of the chieftain role he plays -- Dr. Moreau in disguise.

I thought Libby was the ne plus ultra of Island pulchritude, from her first appearance. But, you're right, she's done something that flatters her appearance.

I noticed the irony of the H containers -- a neat touch. Also a sly "religion is the opium of the people" reference?

The whole thing about grabbing babies and injecting pregnant bellies is reminiscent of the whole saucer abduction cult thing. The "Lost" stew seems to have every ingredient imaginable.

I think that was definitely Zeke's beard. I love that on another board the idea that Libby is not really a psych at all, but was a patient at Hurley's mental hospital. That is a fun idea.
McBain
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I am the only one here watching Battlestar Galactica. You guys are totally fucking missing the boat. When you finally get around to it on DVD, you'll know what I'm talking about.

The last few episodes have been great.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
McBain wrote:
I can't believe I am the only one here watching Battlestar Galactica. You guys are totally fucking missing the boat. When you finally get around to it on DVD, you'll know what I'm talking about.

The last few episodes have been great.

I vaguely remember watching the original series when I was a kid. For some reason I just haven't felt compelled to watch this version. (Not having basic cable might have something to do with that.) Does it differ in quality or tne very much from the original?

And where is this boat going that I'm always missing? No one ever tells me these things.