Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1489285/20040708/weiland_scott.jhtml?headlines=true

Quote:
Nearly eight months after his arrest for driving under the influence of drugs, Scott Weiland was sentenced Thursday in a Los Angeles court to three years' probation, during which he'll be treated for his drug problem.

Weiland had pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor charge earlier this week, which stemmed from his arrest on his 36th birthday, October 27th (see "Scott Weiland Involved In Car Crash; Arrested For DUI"). The Velvet Revolver singer's BMW struck a parked van, and as part of his sentencing, he was ordered to pay restitution to the owner of the parked vehicle, in addition to a $390 fine.

Under the terms of Weiland's latest probation, he'll be required to enroll in a six-month drug-treatment program and attend three Narcotics Anonymous meetings per week for the next three years. Weiland will also be required to submit to regular drug testing, as well as periodic drug testing at the discretion of the police (with or without probable cause), according to the city attorney's office. During this probation, Weiland is prohibited from being in the possession of, or under the influence of, both alcohol and drugs.

A week before this most recent arrest, Weiland had been congratulated for staying clean by a judge overseeing his probation from two felony charges of possession of heroin and cocaine. Upon hearing of the DUI arrest, that judge determined the latest charge was a violation of Weiland's probation and revoked the singer's freedom, ordering him into detox (see "Scott Weiland To Enter Rehab Immediately, By Order Of Judge"). The lockdown aspect of his rehab was later amended, and he will have completed the terms of his sober-living program under that probation by the end of this month, at which point he was scheduled to have six more months of after-care counseling and testing.

There's no word yet if Weiland's new probation will affect his current one, but the city attorney's office anticipates that they'll run concurrently. That matter will likely be decided at the singer's next probation status report hearing, scheduled for July 30.

C'mon Scott... I'm pullin for you. You need to stay clean so you can get your ass to Salt Lake... cause I'm not driving to see you... don't want to get there and find out you landed your ass back in jail.

Marc
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
Man, this Franz Ferdinand album is terrific. I bought it today and I'm loving it. It evokes everything from Human League to the The Strokes, while still being its own wild creature.
daffy
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:36 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking of checking out some Allison Krauss bluegrass. Does anybody here know which album would be a good place to start?

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Melody
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
Daffy,

A great place to start is her 2002 Alison Krauss + Union Station Live - 2 CD Set. She's just as incredible live as her studio efforts, and here you'll find some great numbers -- "The Lucky One," "Baby, Now That I've Found You," "When You Say Nothing At All," "Oh, Atlanta," and "Down to the River to Pray" are my favorites.

http://www.alisonkrauss.com/discography/index.html

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
Many thanks, melody, for the info and the link.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Jynx
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
daffyduck - ditto mel's recommendation. She does a cover of Keith Whitley's When You Say Nothin' At All that makes you wanna hug you ex.

One of the purest voices in country music ... ever.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
ACK! your

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Man, this Franz Ferdinand album is terrific. I bought it today and I'm loving it. It evokes everything from Human League to the The Strokes, while still being its own wild creature.

I know where there is a copy of this album laying on a living room floor... i think I'm going to have to take a listen or two... based solely on your liking it... how's that for ass kissing??? he he..

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,64128,00.html?tw=newsletter_topstories_html

P2P garners some support. It's not The Beatles, but Steve Winwood is no nobody, that's for sure.

Quote:
Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Steve Winwood dipped a toe in largely untested waters this summer by giving away a track from his latest album on peer-to-peer networks. The experiment appears to be working out.

In the past month, Winwood's label has seen a noticeable increase in record sales thanks to a promotion that included releasing a free song and video over file-trading services. The campaign was part of an experiment in whether peer-to-peer can be used to create buzz around an artist and drive up sales.

Winwood's independent record label, Wincraft Music, said sales of About Time have sold up to eight times the number of records in some regions since June 15 when an audio file of one track, Dear Mr. Fantasy, made its way on to peer-to-peer networks. At the same time, a video of Winwood performing the song live and another video of a rehearsal were distributed on Limewire, eDonkey and RazorPop. The album has also been promoted through television commercials.

"There's really no other medium that can reach the quantity of people in such a meaningful way in such a cost-effective manner," said Lisa Protter, a spokeswoman for the Jun Group, a marketing firm which coordinated the release of the digital media files.

Melody
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Chilly,

Did Winwood release "Dear Mr. Fantasy" as a Traffic song -- from like '67 -- or did he re-record it? Just curious.

My favorite Traffic song is "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys." Great road trip song with that loooong piano interlude. Heck, the whole record is great.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Melody -

It's a live re-recorded version of the song that's been posted to the p2p sites. I plan to see if it's on the p2p sites I visit.

Traffic was a great band and one that had me knowing Steve Winwood before people knew him as a solo artist.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
My quick impression from a first listen of Franz Ferdinand... it's not bad... actually really cool. The first band that came to mind when listening was XTC, which has been a fav. band of mine for sometime. Each track had that Andy Partridge touch to it. I have to admit never hearing The Strokes - i get them and the Vines confused every so often... regardless, I think this one may grow on me.

ehle64
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote
XTC was a fabulous band. One of my faves.
pepperseed
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 4 Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
For me XTC is still a great band - check out their new, free available song
"The Message"

http://xtcidearecords.co.uk/

Hubert
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quote
pepperseed wrote:
For me XTC is still a great band - check out their new, free available song
"The Message"

http://xtcidearecords.co.uk/

I went to the above site, but couldn't find a song called "The Message" All of their other songs are out there, but this one was not found.

Do you have an exact link? I'd love to hear the new song.