Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

grace
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
lotang,
I wondered about the missing accomplice in The Long Con, too. Thought he might be hunting down Kim Dickens and killing her -- what does that say about my psych makeup?! -- or something like that. Or, possibly that the guy and Kim Dickens were working a scam on Sawyer, but I think that theory was shown to be wrong.

Is there a definitive answer about the fate of the accomplice guy? Or should I know better than to seek any definitive answer to anything regarding Lost?
lotang
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Definitive answers? Lost? I'm not sure those three words will ever be in the same sentence. lol. No, we might find out but it will only lead to other mysteries I'm sure.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
lotang wrote:
Speaking of the Long Con, what do you make of the scene where Sawyer goes out to the car and looks at the empty drivers seat before going back into the house. Are we to take it that Gordy doesn't exist and that Sawyer is slighty schizophrenic or that Gordy just isn't there? And he's not a nice guy.

My take is, Sawyer was conning both Gordy and the girl. "My partner's waiting in that black car outside" -- a good scare tactic. She believed it. Sawyer had somehow scammed the money out of her duffle bag and into his, which he went back into the house to retrieve. In the end, he has the girl on the run, his partner nowhere in sight, and money in the bag. But for how long? ....

lotang wrote:
On the subject of Henry Gale I think he is definitely an Other. That predatory look as the door closes said it all to me and I think Sayid. But where do you think they are taking Sayid with this and the death of Shannon?

Word on the web is that Henry Gale is definitely Other. Those stats he rattled off about the hot air balloon: "She's 140 feet high, 60 feet wide, and when she's up in the air, 550,000 cubic feet of helium and 100,000 of hot air keep her up."

According to hardliner86 on 4815162342.com:

Quote:
How would he know all of that? By knowing about a man named Steve Fossett, who in 2002 manned the first succesful solo round-the-world balloon flight. The balloon was called the "Solo Spirit" and is described this way:

"The Solo Spirit balloon uses a combination of helium and hot air to fly, a design known as a Roziere balloon. The balloon envelope is 140 feet tall and 60 feet wide. It contains 550,000 cubic feet of helium plus 100,000 cubic feet of hot air."

So, obviously "Henry" knew about the "Solo Spirit" and after a little bit of stalling was able to think up the dimensions from his memory. So yes, "Henry" is an other. A very smart other, but an other nonetheless.

He's intimately familiar with his balloon, but can't specify any details about the death of his wife or where she's buried. PLUS -- Sayid says he's a liar and I am NOT going against Sayid, no way no how, huh-uh.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Melody-

I just noticed your quote by John Waters and loved it! Thanks1

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The info about the Solo Spriit brings to mind another question which is how do the Others know so much about the our Lost cast and also about what is going on in the world? If the Solo Spirit went around the world in 2002 then the Henry Gale character must have come to the island after that or learned about it on the isle. Hmmm, don't know which way to turn on this one.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Or...

he's an Other who did, in fact, arrive on the island by balloon. The Other hypothesis and balloonist hypothesis are not mutually exclusive. Maybe he took up ballooning in his youth due to the coincidence of his name.

My numbers fetish is partly owing to the fact that you can get definitive answers with numbers. Three cubed and three to the fourth -- it is what it is.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first half of the Lost pilot repeat last night, and I hadn't realized, or had forgotten, that Jack finds himself pretty deep in the forest at the start of the show. He's got to run for a while to get to the beach where everyone else is.

This doesn't mean anything, I am sure, but didn't Ana Lucia use that as a reason to kill the Other spy who had infiltrated her group? Though that guy copped to being a spy shortly before she whacked him, I think, so in that case it was a good decision.

Jack was definitely on the plane manifest, so I'm not proposing a convoluted conspiracy theory, but I was a little surprised that I had forgotten how the very beginning of the show went. But then, it doesn't take much to surprise me.
Earl
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
grace wrote:
I watched the first half of the Lost pilot repeat last night, and I hadn't realized, or had forgotten, that Jack finds himself pretty deep in the forest at the start of the show. He's got to run for a while to get to the beach where everyone else is.

This doesn't mean anything, I am sure, but didn't Ana Lucia use that as a reason to kill the Other spy who had infiltrated her group? Though that guy copped to being a spy shortly before she whacked him, I think, so in that case it was a good decision.

Jack was definitely on the plane manifest, so I'm not proposing a convoluted conspiracy theory, but I was a little surprised that I had forgotten how the very beginning of the show went. But then, it doesn't take much to surprise me.

Interesting observation.

I watched the second hour or so of it and noticed something. Locke is sitting on the beach setting up a backgammon board when Walt approaches. They discuss the game a bit. (Walt: "Is it like checkers?" Locke: "No. It's better than checkers.") Then Locke says to him, "You wanna know a secret?" and we don't hear the rest of that conversation! Or maybe they picked up that thread in another episode. If so, I've forgotten it.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the "I have a secret" conversation was picked up later, with Locke saying something like the Island was alive or magical or something.

Which of course he'd say right off the bat, having awakened with a set of working legs.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ana Lucia used the excuse because the tail section fell in the water and he wasn't wet at all. Although he could have been like Bernard and catapaulted free. But that brings up another interesting point. Was he just wandering by and took advantage to join the survivors or did the Others know the plane was coming down?

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
That giant magnet looms behind every speculation about crashes and ships that go off course, and so on. If someone can control the magnet, they can possibly snag passing planes and ships by fouling up their navigation sysems. (I was going to even wonder if they could magnetically PULL them in, but remembered that plane fuselages are made of aluminum, so, never mind....)

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, that makes me envision Simon Bar Sinister operating a giant magnet -- thanks, I needed the chuckle today.
Earl
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
That giant magnet looms behind every speculation about crashes and ships that go off course, and so on. If someone can control the magnet, they can possibly snag passing planes and ships by fouling up their navigation sysems. (I was going to even wonder if they could magnetically PULL them in, but remembered that plane fuselages are made of aluminum, so, never mind....)

Of course they can PULL them in. Have you never seen Mr. Wile E. Coyote in action? He was a super-genius, you know. Said it on his business card and everything.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Aluminium is not normally magnetic, but it is an excellent conductor of electricty. When a piece of alumium and a magnet are at rest there is no interaction between them, but when the aluminium is moved through a magnetic field an opposing force is induced.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Aeroplanes also have a number of ferro-magnetic materials, not least in the engines.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.