Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

grace
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Still haven't seen the episode, but have to ask: Is the character's name really Henry Gale, and would it have any significance that that was the name of Dorothy's uncle in The Wizard of Oz? Besides the obvious, "we're not in Kansas any more" theme of the show, that is.
Nancy
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, apparently Bones will not be on for a couple of weeks, then will be moving to a time slot one hour earlier. Should keep it from conflicting with Lost. (I'm so far behind on watching both shows I'm not even able to discuss them.)

Isaacism, 2009
bart
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Grace -- re

"Is the character's name really Henry Gale, and would it have any significance that that was the name of Dorothy's uncle in The Wizard of Oz? "

Damn straight! I mean, the character is a balloonist. And, well, I don't want to say anything more that would be a spoiler.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Grace, you'll see this episode soon, I'm sure, and you'll laugh when you find out how Henry Gale claims to have landed on the island!

Bart, folks on other Lost fora are pretty enterprising. At Thetailsection.com, they claim the names that The Others give are annagrammatical clues to their identities. For example:

Ethan Rom = Other Man

So if you take the name of the new guy plus the place he blurted out he's from:

Henry Gale Minnesota = See An Other Man Lying

Hey, I'm convinced!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
No need to dance around spoilers for my sake (if that's the case), since I won't be seeing it until it's rerun. So, a balloon! -- I guess they were just having fun with the character's name then.

And only halfway off-subject, I caught The Great Zigfield this week, in which Frank Morgan (the Wizard himself) gives another great performance in a supporting role. Speaking as a total layman, I love his work; Morgan is semi-underappreciated, IMO.
Nancy
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
grace wrote:
And only halfway off-subject, I caught The Great Zigfield this week, in which Frank Morgan (the Wizard himself) gives another great performance in a supporting role. Speaking as a total layman, I love his work; Morgan is semi-underappreciated, IMO.

I'd agree with that. And though he's nowhere near as good, his brother Ralph gave some interesting performances. I particularly remember him in Strange Interlude and The Monster Maker. According to the IMDB, Ralph Morgan was the first president of the Screen Actors Guild, and one of its founders.

Isaacism, 2009
bart
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
"Henry Gale Minnesota = See An Other Man Lying"

Whoa, dude!

Tylenol backwards is "Lonely T"

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, a few more observations on the numbers in "Lost" --

If you express them as coordinates -- Lat. 4.815, Long. 162.342 -- the location is roughly where the island is purported to be in the Pacific.

The first three terms, and the second three terms, both add up to powers of 3, viz. 27 and 81, which are three to the third and fourth powers.

This suggests they are not random numbers in the way that coordinates would be, which suggests that the coordinates would be a red herring.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Also, followed up on my previous Ambrose Bierce observation (the copy of his book that Locke was looking at in the bunker, in the "Long Con" ep) and note that Bierce mysteriously disappeared in 1913 while en route to join Pancho Villa's forces in Mexico.

Another red herring?

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
For what it's worth, a few more observations on the numbers in "Lost" --

If you express them as coordinates -- Lat. 4.815, Long. 162.342 -- the location is roughly where the island is purported to be in the Pacific.

The first three terms, and the second three terms, both add up to powers of 3, viz. 27 and 81, which are three to the third and fourth powers.

This suggests they are not random numbers in the way that coordinates would be, which suggests that the coordinates would be a red herring.

It also suggests that some fans out there are putting more thought into the show than the producers and writers. As a Buffyite, I say that half-admiringly.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
So Bart - re: Invasion - are you on the Kira is now one of them or not because... (insert particular theory here, i.e too sick) side?

I am sorry to read that the show will be taking a 6 week hiatus, not a good sign.
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Andreas Katsulas has died of lung cancer.

(For BB5 fans, he was G'Kar.)

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Kate wrote:
So Bart - re: Invasion - are you on the Kira is now one of them or not because... (insert particular theory here, i.e too sick) side?

I am sorry to read that the show will be taking a 6 week hiatus, not a good sign.

Okay, I admit I fell asleep during the last few minutes of Invasion last week -- but Kira is not a hybrid. Right? But if I get your drift, you're saying the reason her dad says she'll never be a hybrid is because she's got some disease or illness or syndrome? Wow, I totally missed that.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Earl, tis true about "Lost" fans like me. But the numbers thing, I can tell you, the odds are very small that the writer just tossed in numbers randomly. The series of numbers yields 3's in so many ways that would be highly unlikely purely by chance.

BTW, the first three digits as I mentioned equal 27. In numerology, the letters of "dharma" also add up to 27. dee dee dee dee, dee dee dee dee...

re "Invasion" -- not sure what's up with Kira. Is she now partially converted, a chimera? Underlay is almost like a mafia dad who doesn't want his daughter mixed up in the biz.

I wasn't aware of the six weeks hiatus, but agree it's ominous to do it at this time. I've wondered all along, though, if running it after "Lost" would weaken interest, making it too much a footnote to the previous bizarreness rather than standing on its own.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the Long Con, what do you make of the scene where Sawyer goes out to the car and looks at the empty drivers seat before going back into the house. Are we to take it that Gordy doesn't exist and that Sawyer is slighty schizophrenic or that Gordy just isn't there? And he's not a nice guy.

On the subject of Henry Gale I think he is definitely an Other. That predatory look as the door closes said it all to me and I think Sayid. But where do you think they are taking Sayid with this and the death of Shannon?