Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Nancy
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
that plus no laugh track.

I've found that I don't laugh at series with a laugh track -- either because they've already done it for me, or because they're not funny.

Isaacism, 2009
bart
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've laughed harder at AD than anything else out there. And the show doesn't even do the stage pause, so my laughter would often drown out another funny line and I'd have to squelch it and listen.
bart
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny that when Evangeline Lily is caught by a paparazzi with her stomach muscles relaxed, that the Net is instantly swamped by rumors that she and "Charlie" are having a baby. The public thirst for sexy feti seems insatiable.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Where are you, "Lost" fans?

What were those symbols on the rolodex-thingy, after it reach zero minutes? One looked like fire, another looked like a bird -- pseudo hieroglyphs?

Anyone still fond of Sayid? Is there a 12 steps program -- "Hi, I'm Sayid, and I'm a torturer." Interesting observation from Locke, about who is really an "Other." And later, Sayid comments on not forgetting who the Others are, sounds very like recent propa on fighting terrorism.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the mystery of Hurley's continued Sumo-osity has been solved. Of all the foods I can imagine being a cause for unrestrained gluttony, however, ranch dressing is not one of them. "Chacun a son goo."

But what technology can make a jar of ranch dressing that will keep at "room temperature for seven years." ? If the Dharma scientists can do this, maybe they CAN reverse the earth's magnetic poles!

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Bart - I have the last 2 eps of both Lost and Invasion taped for weekend viewing so I can't comment just now, but will verra soon...sorry
Melody
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
If my only alternative was fish and coconuts, ranch dressing would be some damn fine cuisine. At least for a while.

Here are photos of last night's hieroglyphics and also Jack's left arm tattoo:

http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8633&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I had to register today to read any of the above-mentioned forums. Didn't have to do that before.

Someone posted a listing of (Egyptian?) hieroglyphics on the previous page. Do they match up? Not really.

Bottom line, no earth-shattering theory has emerged yet on what the symbols mean. All I know is, this is a damn fine puzzle Lindelof & Abrams are constructing.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
On further reading, armchair Egyptologists at 4815162342.com have determined the hieroglyphics mean either:

"Cause to die"

or

"Stay healthy"

with the majority opinion leaning toward the former.

Go ahead, ask me another one.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I missed Lost last night; sounded like a good one, so semi-bummed. But ranch dressing, unopened, I think has a half-life of infinity (rough estimate). I mean, the crap in there will retard spoilage for just about forever. Once opened, yes, it should be refrigerated. But -- and I didn't see, so perhaps I speak out of turn -- if Hurley can knock one of those bottles off in one sitting, he should be okay.

Personally, I think the writers are just having fun with the whole ranch dressing thing, and say kudos to them for doing so.
bart
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
Agreed. It was, like, a gallon jar, so it might take a real trencherman like Hurley to dispatch it after opening in the tropics.

So, Melody, was Henry Gale an Other or no? It's ambiguous, but the scene where the armory door closes on him he has this expression that seems to suggest he's more than a lost balloonist.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Everyone not watching "Battlestar Galactica" because it sounds like a nerdy sci-fi show are missing the best thing on television right now.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Buffyites!!!

So I was reading the review of a new Russian sci-fi horror movie, Night Watch and it said that at the very beginning the boy is watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on tv in Russian. Must go see movie just to see that! Oh, and it's about Vampires.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
lotang --

Sounds interesting. According to the IMDB, it's based on a novel. there is already a sequel, with a third film in the works. I'll have to watch for it.

Isaacism, 2009
Earl
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
lotang wrote:
Buffyites!!!

So I was reading the review of a new Russian sci-fi horror movie, Night Watch and it said that at the very beginning the boy is watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on tv in Russian. Must go see movie just to see that! Oh, and it's about Vampires.

Not only that, but every time I've seen the preview for Imagine Me & You I spot Anthony Stewart Head giving away one of the movie's lead characters in a wedding ceremony. I can't help thinking for half a sec, "Rupert, you should be giving Buffy away."

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
bart wrote:
was Henry Gale an Other or no? It's ambiguous, but the scene where the armory door closes on him he has this expression that seems to suggest he's more than a lost balloonist.

Agreed. Then there was Sayid's remark that he felt no guilt about torturing him. Perhaps we're meant to assume that Sayid has developed an instinct for these things. Gale's story seemed to falter when he got to the details (or lack of them) regarding the disposal of his wife's body. Sayid, still grieving the loss of Shannon, quickly focused on that.