Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  As The Forum Turns: Topic - "The Juice"

mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I just can't see Polanski ever making a musical.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
This is for Ghulam.

I remember that there is a very famous author from Calcutta (ca. 1900's) whose novels were made, I believe, into a no. of Indian films.

Can you remind me who this is?
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Keira Knightley deserves her Oscar nomination, just as she deserves a Blanche nod as well.

Word, word, word, and word again. Manohla Dargis forfeits all the good will she garners from some of her perceptive remarks by her dissing of the great Knightley performance. And our own Nancy dips a little in my estimation due to her comments above. There were many, many good things about Pride & Prejudice, but nothing would have worked without a solid, charismatic central performance, which it got in spades. Keira rules!!!
ehle64
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
Last year's Pride & Prejudice was one of the best films I've seen in ages.

Rarely do we disagree, but BOY OH BOY OH BOY do we ever on this over-hyped piece of nancy tripe.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Keira rules!!!

--*LOL!*

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
lshap wrote:

Rarely do we disagree, but BOY OH BOY OH BOY do we ever on this over-hyped piece of nancy tripe.

P&P lived up to every inch of its advance praise, and Joe Wright's direction is certain to be one of my Blanche nominations.
lshap
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
ehle64 wrote:
lshap wrote:

I plan to: 1) Ban you for such film heresy; 2) Use " piece of nancy tripe" in conversation as often as possible without ever giving you credit for such a hilarious line.
yambu
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
......I thought Keira Knightley was way too giggly, and the film as a whole was a bit too modern for my taste. By that I mean, the characters are shown behaving in ways that they just wouldn't for that period, including wandering around in various states of undress, particularly around members of the opposite sex that one is not related or married to. Not in Jane Austen, folks, at least not that I recall. And didn't Bingley have two sisters (both acid-tongued bitches) in the book? I don't know why so many versions cut them down to one......
Bingley did have two sisters. In the novel, one was actively trying to alter the flow of events, while the other was sort of a social metronome, in counterpoint. The movie had to cut severely, of course, and throwing out the second sister was an easy one.

I don't doubt your recount of "various states of undress". It's just that after two viewings, I don't remember them, and so for me they failed to make a dramatic difference.

We know from the film that Keira Knightley is imperfectly gorgeous, and that her portrayal brings a physicality that is only hinted at obliquely in the novel.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
This is for Ghulam.

I remember that there is a very famous author from Calcutta (ca. 1900's) whose novels were made, I believe, into a no. of Indian films.

Are you thinking of Rabindranath Tagore, a Nobel laureate?
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Keira Knightley deserves her Oscar nomination, just as she deserves a Blanche nod as well.

Word, word, word, and word again. Manohla Dargis forfeits all the good will she garners from some of her perceptive remarks by her dissing of the great Knightley performance. And our own Nancy dips a little in my estimation due to her comments above. There were many, many good things about Pride & Prejudice, but nothing would have worked without a solid, charismatic central performance, which it got in spades. Keira rules!!!

What was your opinion of her in DOMINO? This was a film I really wanted to see. It got bad reviews. Unfortunately, I missed it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
This is for Ghulam.

Are you thinking of Rabindranath Tagore, a Nobel laureate?

EXACTLY. Thank you!

Last edited by mo_flixx on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
I cannot recall any bad Austen movie (not even B&P, as compared to the usual Bollywood fare), but I would pick the new P&P and Clueless as being the two most entertaining.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
"nancy-tripe"

That's a good one.
ehle64
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'll hands down give ya Clueless!

And if we're speaking period pieces, then it has to go to Ang Lee and Emma Thompson's Sense & Sensibility.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Yes. It is. Now will someone please tell me what it means!?