Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

sioux
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
awww - thanks, joe.

I had to buy my brother Smallville when it came out on DVD, since I shipped all of the episodes out of the apartment after we watched them...teehee.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Cool

-Topher
bart
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
"Lost" -- the good Doctor seems to be deficient in diplomacy, or social skill generally. A bit less macho posturing during the encounter with the Chief Other might have netted him a little more information or, who knows, some kind of cooperative treaty opening up free trade and the return of Walt. Well, maybe not, but we'll never know now. This does set up what might become a series of episodes commenting on the origins of war. Is Jack's party, conducting diplomacy down the barrel of a gun, an analog to the Bush Admin? I actually wanted to cheer when the Chief took their guns away.

As for Michael, the writers never fail to script him as an hysteric. I'm not sure why that clanks for me, but it does. His Lone Wolf routine, even after armed help was offered by Jack, doesn't sit right.
shannon
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
You don't know what Walt has been saying to him via computer, though. "Come alone," or some such is what I am assuming.
Melody
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Plus, Michael's been gradually wigging out more and more, from the pain and grief and guilt of losing his kid all over again. Doesn't help that Walt keeps turning up here and there, either in people's visions or on the computer screen. As a parent, I can relate to what he did and it didn't clank for me at all.

Not sure why we had to have the "Jack is fallible" flashback when that's already abundantly clear, unless his wife or the dead patient shows up on the island sometime soon.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It seemed like they were deploying the Jack flashback for newer viewers (?) in order to provide a sense of his arrogance -- he's the Hot Shot, the guy who has to pull it off, has to prevail, has to win one for the gipper. It certainly deepens understanding of his total failure to engage with the Others. Jack's totally certain he's a Force for Good, so he's bound to antagonize the long-resident Others, one way or another.
Earl
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
All we saw of what Walt (or whoever is posing as Walt) typed is "Come to" and we didn't see the rest of the sentence, but it was clear Michael saw all of it. Locke commented while they were tracking him that Michael seemed to know exactly where he was going.

When Chief Other (like that moniker, by the way) said to Jack & Co, "this is our island, not yours," I was hoping one of our gang would reply, "Well, we didn't want to come here and we'd like nothing more than to leave. That'll be about 60 one-way tickets to Los Angeles, please."

Was I the only one who got a good laugh out of Hurley's "This is the perfect 'desert island' scenario" comment regarding Libby? Also, the scene between Sun and Jin was a good one. Jin torn between helping his friend and staying with his wife; Sun getting through to him that she can be an independent woman without it harming their marriage.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Earl -- I lol'd at Hurley's scenario comment, though I grow more perplexed by his ability to maintain a weight that would seem insupportable by fish and mangos and much physical labor. Can Jorge Garcia bite the professional bullet and do a Tom Hanks, or will writers have to conjure secret caches of twinkies in future eps?
Kate
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
bart wrote:
Earl -- I lol'd at Hurley's scenario comment, though I grow more perplexed by his ability to maintain a weight that would seem insupportable by fish and mangos and much physical labor. Can Jorge Garcia bite the professional bullet and do a Tom Hanks, or will writers have to conjure secret caches of twinkies in future eps?

Well there is all that candy and food in the hatch, which was looking very homey in this episode. Why aren't people wanting to stay in it?

I really can't stand Jack, he is so ridiculously controlling. If I were Kate (no pun intended), I would have told him to f&%k off if he ever talked to me that way again. That said, I also find Kate annoying castaway #2 (after Jack). Are we supposed to like these people?

Andwhat, Eko can't find a shirt his size?

Other than that, I am hanging with it.

Invasion:

I really like this show, it has really got me.

I still have the last 2 eps to watch, but Bart - what is the deal with creepy sheriff - when he took his deputy to the water, his reaction to what happened seemed very genuine. I am thinking he is some kind of old school and the new batch are very different? The next eps may answer that.
bart
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kate,

the food in the bunker was divvied up among all the castaways and, if IIRC, everyone pigged out for a day or two, which is all it would last.

I agree about Jack. If it weren't for Sawyer and Hurley, I would have real trouble staying with the series.

Re Invasion -- yeah, I get the impression that Tom's conversion experience was a little different, and that the hybrid process works differently on each individual. Which is what gives the series so much depth and suspense, and contrasts it with most body-snatcher genre stuff. The "Arms and the Man" episodes were interesting along that line, in that the change is understood through the person's personal belief system. Tom, cognizant of this, becomes more and more revealed as a manipulator, and I'm less and less able to trust what might seem as guileless reactions. Fichtner is really a hell of an actor.
bart
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I refer to Tom's oversight of the Conversion as

"Underlay Industries."

Apologies to Seinfeld fans.
Kate
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
The whole scene regarding how the deputy ultimately deals with his "miracle" was really riveting; I was very impressed with both Fichtner and the actor playing Sirk (I think that is his name).
lotang
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so Jack is arrogant but most surgeons are. They have to be. But I thought the writer's purpose in showing the flashbacks with Jack were to show his own sense of failing and fallibility. He couldn't save the old man, he couldn't save his marriage, he couldn't save his father and the reason he was/is going after Michael is that he can't lose another person that he could save. If he were just arrogant and bullheaded (he is stubborn) I would just tune him out but he is much more nuanced than that. It's Locke that I sometimes have problems with seeming so calm and saintly.

And I loved the Hurley, "the perfect desert island scenario" comment. The episode was the perfect mix of comedy, drama and tension for me.

Melody-love the avatar!

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
So what idiot (who really hates me) has brought Bones back, but put it on opposite Lost?

Isaacism, 2009
grace
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So what idiot (who really hates me) has brought Bones back, but put it on opposite Lost?

It looks like the TV gods are mocking you. They mock me on a regular basis, if that helps at all.