Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

jeremy
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I've always liked Avril. Compared to her lost-the-plot teen rivals, Christina and Britney, she always seemed well grounded, if a little Californian, dude. With a clutch of solid, well crafted pop-rock songs, she's managed to steer clear of overdoing the self-important ballads and other sins of divadom.
Melody
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:50 am Reply with quote
Shannon,

Deej
said he'd be out of pocket for a few weeks, back when the whole brouhaha began. He's got the registration email, so when he gets back in pocket, he'll show up.

Thanks for the Air info. Coulda sworn it was you talking about it back in the day.

I like the new Avril, too, what I've heard on the radio and SNL. My teenager, when she heard the first single, sniffed, "Abstinence -- how trendy." But she still listens to it without turning the dial.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:08 am Reply with quote
Last December, I attended a very boring week-long conference. In order not to lapse into a coma, I busied myself by noting the songs I'll load onto the iPod I'll get some day.

There are now 2800 songs on the list.

As a public service, I will post the names of those songs here-- unless I receive $1000 in small bills before Friday at midnight.

Non-sequential serial numbers, please.
lshap
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Brownstone - The scariest thing I've ever learned over the years is that ANY artist, be they metal, pop, blues or rap, can have a rabid following if you're so inclined to look for it.

All those virtues you ascribe to metal fans apply to pop fans as well, but since you probably won't be hanging out around the high-school gymnasiums where Duran Duran is gigging you'd never know it.

The reason I called it a "scary thing" is that I was very good friends with a lady who was dating -- very seriously I might add -- Barry Manilow. Realizing I am now and forever banned for life I may as well finish the story.

She dated him for the final two years of our friendship (a decade ago) and very well may still be humping his stringy ass even now. I can't tell you how many times I heard about the frenzied fans and hanger-ons who'd tail the guy from concert to concert to concert. The stories, the undying loyalty, the admiration. And let me repeat the subject of this mania just for effect: BARRY MANILOW!

It's like they lived in this world apart from the rest of us -- mercifully -- where the rules of moderation and musical taste didn't apply.

There are obviously many issues I'm still grappling with over this period in my life, but the lesson I learned is that there are fanclubs hidden in the darkest nooks and crannies of the planet -- beware of them -- and that America must really be the greatest, most accepting country in the world.

God bless your generosity of spirit.
ehle64
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote
My 15 Gb iPod holds almost exactly 2,800 songs @ 192kbps (CD Quality Sound). It remains full, too, have a horrible time deleting stuff when I pick up new records.

Talkie Walkie RULES!!!
It's actually still my favorite album of the year.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
Lorne,

I'll be banshished (typo for Mr. B. who can't live without 'em) right along with you when I reveal this: my younger -- yes, that's right, younger -- brother is probably the head of the Massachusetts area Barry Manilow fan club. He's loved him since we were kids. Go figure.

I pretty much expelled BM from my life after my miserable "we are sexy we are great we are seniors '78" class voted "Looks Like We Made It" as our class song. I voted for Kansas' "Dust in the Wind," of course, having recently discovered existentialism.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
Ehle,

Talkie Walkie is Air, right? Is it all instrumentals, or are there lyrics?

Color me clueless but willing to learn.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quote
There are lyrics to most of the songs. Do you have a large email box or AIM? I could send you a few song samples b4 you spend your $$$ blindly Laughing

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:15 am Reply with quote
Ehle,

Playing music on computers is pretty much over my head at this point unless I can just stick the CD in the CD compartment. My daughter has AIM, but frankly, the damn thing scares me. I don't go near it. I mean, shit, if I need to talk to somebody RIGHT NOW I pick up the phone. Call me old-fart.

I have dial-up, so anything over a meg or two will take forever to download. I appreciate the offer, though. I'll head down to Waterloo Records and give it a listen before I buy it. I felt mysteriously drawn to Air the last time you were talking about them lo these many months ago in a land far away.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

I agree with you on that there are definite stype of music that some consider jazz and others do not. It can be a very sesnitive area for true jazz fans.

I don't think we'll need a separate forum here. This is all music and any discussions we have, we'll be able to track without having to split off (at least for now)

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Terese:

You don't even know the carnage you've wrought by mentioning Slash. I'm infamously known in these parts as being a GnR FREAK, and never waste any opportunity, no matter how flimsy, to put forth the argument that Guns n Roses, the 1987-1990 version, is the greatest band that rock n roll has ever, or will ever see.

At worst they were America's triumphant answer to the Rolling Stones. At best, as I like to consider GnR, they were the penultimate culmination of 30 years of rock n roll in the making, a nuclear, drug-frenzied insane hybrid of early Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, the nastiest of the Stones and the most inspire of the Sex Pistols, with New York Dolls attitude and the Dead Boys' wardrobe.

Lshap:

I will confess I enjoy Mandy. But dating Barry Manilow is a whole other conceit. It's like dating Re-Run from What's Happening or Mr. T or Gonzo from the Muppet Show; how are you not painfully aware at every moment of your relationship that you're fucking a pop culture punchline?

My senior high theme, by the way, as fucking Natalie Cole's Unforgettable. As both Homecoming King and Student Body President, I lobbied hard for Faith No More's Epic, the Mike Reno/Anne Wilson power ballad Almost Paradise, and for some reason still unbeknowst to me, Public Enemy's 911's a Joke. I was spurned at every time. Cursed Midwestern cowtown minds.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, I gotta start proof reading shit. I'm barely coherent or legible here. Evil or Very Mad

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
brownstone -

My senior high theme, by the way, as fucking Natalie Cole's Unforgettable. As both Homecoming King and Student Body President, I lobbied hard for Faith No More's Epic, the Mike Reno/Anne Wilson power ballad Almost Paradise, and for some reason still unbeknowst to me, Public Enemy's 911's a Joke. I was spurned at every time. Cursed Midwestern cowtown minds.

too funny.... My pick would have been Epic since FNM is such a great band.... reminds me.. i need to break out their CDs.. haven't heard them in some time.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you've heard them, as P.O.D. and Linkin Park have pretty much bastardized their sound.

chillywilly
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you've heard them, as P.O.D. and Linkin Park have pretty much bastardized their sound.

I can't agree more.... I do like some Linkin Park, but not a lot of it. In fact, I refuse to buy their new album for many reasons, one of which is the cost for the amout of music you get... $18 fucking dollars for less than 37 mins of music. To me, that's a goddamn ripoff. I see other albums but much better bands where you get 12+ tracks and almost 70 mins of music. Not that the amount of music is good, but it's almost as if they just rushed it all together.

Granted, in the 35 plus years since the Beatles were making records, 37 mins was a lot of time to put on the medium it was being placed on. If you are a good band and have great songs, and you've recorded 18 of them, put them on the record and make more songs for your next record later.