Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

bart
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know that, but the show sets things up in a confusing and somewhat inept way which leads this viewer to think that they are implying that the truth, of dharma, is being revealed to people in the way that they recall and understand their prior lives and actions. Karma is about the direct causal connection, the what-comes-around stuff, but the Dharma Project, on the show, seems to be about the larger universal truths that people ignore at their peril.

It's like....karma is an easy thing to believe, you can lick a lot of wounds with it, but dharma is much tougher and more demanding.

My .02 bucks worth.
Marc
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I know that

but not many people do.
Nancy
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
I've watched a few others once or twice, just curious. The girl who talks to ghosts -- pretty awful. The mathematician who solves crimes -- almost unbearably contrived and silly, most of the time. Nice to see Judd Hirsch working, tho. The aliens with a special song that retools your DNA into a triple-helix -- ridiculous vehicle for lots of gore and Ms. Gugino's quivering bosoms.

I agree. I gave these shows a try, and didn't care for them. I do miss Buffy and Angel.

Isaacism, 2009
bart
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
There's seems to be a huge number of supernatural/fantasy shows on, none of them any good. For me, anyway, as I have a taste for the esoteric but not the sort of pop culture, cliched versions that most tv offers. I've heard good things about Buffy, back in its heyday, but like a lot of people I tend to judge tv programming in a way that allows me to reject nearly everything. If I didn't, I'd never crack another book, and that would be the end of Barto.
Nancy
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the new supernatural/SF type shows. While I was glad to see them appear, none of them has kept my interest. I do watch Bones, but that's partly because I find their notion of what an anthropologist is like so hilarious. (I have a degree in that, and the reality is quite different.) And I loved the in-joke they had in the Christmas episode, where one of the characters accused a recalcitrant robot of sitting around watching Firefly reruns. I keep hoping for some better shows to come along, but they hardly ever do.

Isaacism, 2009
Earl
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
I do watch Bones, but that's partly because I find their notion of what an anthropologist is like so hilarious. (I have a degree in that, and the reality is quite different.)

Funny then, that the title character is depicted as having a side career as a novelist of crime fiction and the lead character in her series of books is also an anthropologist. From time to time on the show they've had people on the street recognize her as the author of those books and ask her if she "really does" all that stuff. She has to disappoint them by telling them that the books are only fiction and that the reality of her job is quite different.

And come to think of it, isn't this whole character based on a real life anthropologist? It's starting to remind me of Seinfeld (never thought I'd be comparing those two shows) and the storyline involving Jerry's attempt to get a show at NBC. The viewer wonders how much is real, how much isn't.

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Earl,

The show is supposedly based on Kathy Reichs, a forensic anthropologist who writes mysteries about the Temperance Brennan character, who (in the books) is a forensic anthropologist who does not write novels, and is at least a couple of decades older, with adult kids and an ex-husband. Reichs is listed as a producer on the show also.

I'm always amazed by the terribly high-tech lab in Bones. Labs don't tend to look like that. I know of an engineering lab whose laser-powered supercollider is encased in ordinary household aluminum foil for some reason. They buy Reynolds Wrap by the case for it. And almost all of the anthropologists I've known have been scruffy. These people are just too well-dressed. Also, there's no reason for Brennan to be so terminally unhip. I guess they're trying to suggest that she is the stereotype absent-minded scientist. Again, not typical of anthropologists. But amusing.

Isaacism, 2009
Earl
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nancy,

Thanks for the info, but regarding this...

Nancy wrote:
I know of an engineering lab whose laser-powered supercollider is encased in ordinary household aluminum foil for some reason. They buy Reynolds Wrap by the case for it.

...I am more than a bit frightened. That lab was where, exactly?

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
Nancy wrote:
I know of an engineering lab whose laser-powered supercollider is encased in ordinary household aluminum foil for some reason. They buy Reynolds Wrap by the case for it.

...I am more than a bit frightened. That lab was where, exactly?

Smack in the middle of Oklahoma. BTW, I also used to live two blocks from a nuclear reactor, which is no longer there. (Syd worked in that building for years, which may explain a lot.)

Isaacism, 2009
dlhavard
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I do like Supernatural. Although some of the storylines are LAME the relationship between the two brothers and the continuing story behind the father's disappearance keeps me interested.

Ghostwhisper reminds me of Touched by an Angel. A bit too sickingly sweet although I do watch it on occasion and can tolerate it in small doses.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
Bart-

Hbo is the only thing (imho) worth paying for on tv. That's especially true now that Buffy and Angel are nowhere around. I just finished watching Rome and it is amazing. What was really wonderful is that I've studied some of that period of history and to see it re-enacted was wonderful. And once again the characters are so human and flawed at the same time.

And I like Ms. Gugino's quivering bosoms... Too bad the writing was lame and the story went nowhere.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Syd worked in that building for years, which may explain a lot.)

LOL

-Topher
bart
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
The fact that Norman is due south of Lincoln, Nebraska makes it a great town, he said, rubbing his numb feet to restore circulation before the gangrene set in.

The short version of my critique of bizarro tv is this: nothing has quite measured up to the X-Files.

"Invasion" was interesting, tho -- did they axe it?
Lacey
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
DL, I’m with you on Ghost Whisperer. I have watched a couple episodes, but can’t quite warm up to it.

I like Numbers, it’s contrived but I have a real Bush moment when it comes to math so suspension of disbelief (or ignorance is bliss) works for me here. I also love the house they live in and honestly will tune in when I’m home just to see the set. Of course once Battles Star Galactica returns all bets are off.

I like Bones OK, but only because I’m enjoying the characters—and the Firefly reference earned my love. I like that the Temprence character is so clueless about pop culture, but I do think they stretch it a bit.

It seems like most of the supernatural/sci-fi genre shows have been phoning it in. None of them have the character layers and amazing dialogue that we got from Buffy or the intricate plotting that X-Files provided. I do recommend Battle Star Galactica for both. I was listening to the creator (forget his name) talk about how important it is that the stories center around real issues and emotions that just happen to take place in space. His comments reminded me of things that Joss has said about his shows.
bart
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Or, failing the kind of rich character-centered action you describe, at least have intriguing ideas, so you have something to argue about at the water cooler.

But that really only buttresses your point, given that ideas are a dime a dozen in tv land, so, yeah, you really need living breathing roles.

Lacey, re your location, are you the cybernaut formerly known as Pambula?