Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Silent Movies

Ghulam
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yambu asks, "Is that the one where Eva Braun elopes with Strom Thurmond?"

I don't know if that's in it, but it should be.
yambu
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I just read your cite, Ghulam. I've already checked with my library and Berkeley's best video store. Skunked so far, but I'm still on it. Thanks.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
CSA: The Confederate States of America - distributed by IFC Films.

IFC website (which says, "Coming soon"): http://www.ifcfilms.com/ifcfilms?CAT0=3127&CAT1=6526&AID=13407&CLR=red&BCLR=

Official website: http://www.csathemovie.com/. There seems to be a lot of activity on eSlave tonight...

IFC opened the IFC Center this year in NYC, so there's a chance this will show up there.
yambu
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. I looked at the trailer, and I gotta see it.
MVerdoux
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
I think I remember, as a kid, seeing a Walt Disney film about this.

That would be THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE (1956) starring Fess Parker & Jeffrey Hunter. The Union are the "good guys" in this version of the story.

"We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost." - Charles Chaplin
MVerdoux
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
One thing I find interesting in these Civil War movies is that the South is always presented as the "good guys." I would guess that the success of Birth of a Nation had something to do with that, except I've seen movies predating BoaN which do the same thing.

Not sure why that would be.

I think this may have had to do more with thinking back then of the "Old South" predominently as a defeated faction - to feel sorry for or pitied. Of course with THE BOAN, D.W. Griffith had some very specific personal sentiments and axes to grind. However, in comedies such as THE GENERAL and HANDS UP! it simply made sense to cast the underdog hero on the side of the already known quantity to lose - thus elicit sympathy (I know I've read somewhere where Keaton said as much about his character being a Southerner in THE GENERAL - probably in his autobiography.) It appears that we now think more of the "Old South" just a notch or two below the Nazis because of the Slavery issue - but this was not considered quite the hot button issue back then as it is today.

"We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost." - Charles Chaplin
MVerdoux
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:26 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I saw the first half hour of Girl Shy last night. I found the musical accompaniment very annoying. They could have made a better choice for the music and had it less obtrusive. For me it negated some of the effect of the comedy. Anyone else have that reaction?

Okay - just to set things straight on the music for GIRL SHY....there once was a SUPERB score available for this picture on video....

In the early 1990s, Photoplay (Brownlow & Gill) liceneced and prepared special video versions of five Harold Llloyd features. (SAFETY LAST, GIRL SHY, HOT WATER, THE KID BROTHER and SPEEDY). All of the transfers and scores were crackerjack and were released via the Thames Video Collection by HBO Video on VHS. Three of the films were scored by Carl Davis and have been retained for their current issues on TCM and DVD (although they screwed up the synchonization of the carefully timed and composed music over the opening credits when they replaced the opening custom slates for the original Photoplay releases - SAFETY LAST suffers considerably in this regard.)

A fellow named Jim Parker did a beautiful score for GIRL SHY - replete with an ingenious recuring theme for Harold's stuttering. Adrian Johnston's score for HOT WATER was equally masterful - each of these scores being well up to par with the Davis scores. Inexpicably, these excellent scores were unnecessarily replaced with new scores by Robert Israel.

tirebiter
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
"Southern Man better keep your head. Don't forget what your good book said. Southern change gonna come at last. Now your crosses are burning fast." --Neil Young

"Well, I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern Man don't need him around anyhow." --Lynyrd Skynyrd
marantzo
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks MV, very interesting.
gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
MVerdoux,
while there is a little slow-down here, I was hoping I could get your take on A Woman In Paris. I recently viewed it for the first time, and was impressed by how modern it felt. From the acting to the themes and storytelling. A pretty impressive film overall. Even the tacked on happy ending had its nice moment, as the former couple unknowingly pass each other, heading in different directions, and even using different modes of transport.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
lady_w -- the DVDs arrived today, muchos gracias and have a great Thanksgiving and mama_w birthday celebration!

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Thanks very much! I'll tell her you said so. %^}

Enjoy the films...
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The Son of the Sheik (1927) was made six years after Shek. It has more passionate kisses, more brawls and more plot twists, and is quite enjoyable. Valentino's height disadvantage is more often evident in this movie. Although lore has it that these movies were a reflection of the American romanticization of the sheiks of Araby, both the Sheik and the Son of the Sheik are in fact of European stock, ruling the Arab tribes because of their superior wit and derring-do.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Sheik, not Shek.
Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
As in Sheik yer booty, son!