Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Apparantly Candians don't have much of a sense of humor about themselves, either.

-Topher
ehle64
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Did anyone see Stay?

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Quote:
For a crowd that thinks of themselves as liberal, there are definitely some (assholes) who have a desire to tell others what they should watch.
That sounds more strange to me than being puzzled by folks who won't keep a liberal opinion or an open mind by watching movies of a content that makes one uncomfortable, offends or even scares. I didn't think we "liberal" minded folks were so willing to put on blinders, IMO it's not like asking someone to "hold the tofu" IMO, it's like asking yourself ( many of whom I consider cinefiles) to miss-out on a possible real pleasure.

In response to the three posters who said they don't watch a certain type of movie, (I have nothing against this personally, I just can't relate one iota) I would just say a war film by Sam Fuller ain't nothing like a war film by John Boorman, Francis Coppolla or Abel Ganz. A drug movie by Martin Scorsese is nothing like one by Dennis Hopper, American International, Jerry Shatzburg or William Friedkin. And just to bust your chops marantzo, (you can take it) an adultery themed film by Claude Chabrol is nothing like one by Sam Mendes, Mike Nichols, David Lowell Rich or Tony Goldwyn, but you knew that.

I would venture to say each of you has enjoyed one of these very different films within a genre that is not your favorite, but more importantly as film buffs, cineastes, students-of-film or movie fans you probably would want to know what the hell all the buzz is about when one of these (uncomfortable?) films becomes a hit. Celui qui flotte votre bateau...

jeremy
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
So you're eager to see the next Harry Potter then Censored?

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Befade
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
And Censored, will you be spending some evening this week taking in a Christian themed double feature? And how about the film they showed us in high school to keep us from smoking? Both times I watched the lung surgery in color I passed out.

The whole idea of "You should watch every film and type of film that comes your way" sounds like "You should clear your plate, think of the starving people in China." Or the kind of berating a college kid would get from a professor who "knows it all". Mad
censored-03
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I'm talking specifically to the posters who said THEY don't watch a particular kind of film...some of these included about half of ALL films made, get real. Yeah of course I'll see Harry Potter on night on the telly, and of course I won't be watching any Christian right programmed double features. You guys didn't really read my post, especially you befade, I would watch an evening of Christian fare, and that's exactly my point how could you avoid watching Ben Hur, The Robe, the Silver chalice, Quo vadis etc. just for the fun of it on occasion or that monstrosity by mel Gibson, i just watched scenes from Scorseses Christ film two nights ago. My whole point is variety, how would any of you not see this...absurd. really the more I think about it. I'm a villain because I think it sounds really fucking weirrd to say you are squeemish about a TYPE of film. yeeesh! i'm no lecturer, just a much more honest person about what I stop on when I surf..obviously. And i don't think joe and some others would take too kindly to thinking we all consider ourselves to be liberals..I hate them as much as the right. It's absolutely absurd to think a film discussion group would only watch ..oh wait a minute i'm starting to get Marc's vibe now..this may be a fluff chat-room after-all save a few..enjoy, i'm out for a while..latah

jeremy
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:08 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I do think Marilyn's comment that she doesn't do drug films to be a bit irrational, but in truth she has seen some, where there was other reasons to do so. It is perfectly valid for her to say that it is a genre, in as much as it is one, that she doesn't enjoy. Myself, I am no great fan of musicals, a certain styles of American comedy or films about ordinary American families. I tend to avoid them, unless there are other reasons that push them up my ought-to-see-list. I think this is perfectly normal and regard this whole film purist/puritan argument that you must view films that the cognoscenti deem worthy as a bit silly. Though not as silly as Censored's departure. Good grief. Can we move on? And Mr Brownstone, if you deconstruct this post a line at a time, I'll scream.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Befade
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:26 am Reply with quote
Censored: "You guys didn't really read my post, especially you befade,"

I did read your post. It was very intelligent and inclusive. I guess you just don't understand someone not wanting to see war films no matter how well done. I thought about seeing Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now, Black Hawk Down, Jarhead........I almost read Jarhead. I saw Three Kings on some recommendation and didn't like it.

I don't like the aftertaste of drug movies, but I've sat through a number of them. Didn't like Drugstore Cowboy and I like Van Sant. Liked Requiem for a Dream because of the film effects that mimicked drug use. Didn't Trainspotting.
Trish
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
The wife in A Walk On The Moon is perhaps one of the most complexly torn adulterers I've ever seen on screen. .

Ooh - I love that film - I don't know why I didn't think of it with the whole adultery in cinema subject - thanks for bringing it up

I think we (as the audience) have a little sympathy for Pearl because she was a child bride - didn't have a chance to explore before the weight of marriage and children was thrust on her - despite the fact that she has a wonderful man as a husband (Liev is so great in this flick)

Marantz - while I understand (and even agree, mostly) your sort of absolute feelings about the abhorrence of adultery - (upon reflection on some of these films - various circumstances accompanying adulterous affairs) I feel equally that fidelity is a very challenging value to uphold - our feelings do have a tendency to so whatever they damn well feel like doing and once a relationship passes the dewy eyed, honeymoon phase - we are all vulnerable to extramarital(or etxra-relational) attraction - its not an excuse, but an explanation
Trish
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
I'm talking specifically to the posters who said THEY don't watch a particular kind of film...some of these included about half of ALL films made, get real. Yeah of course I'll see Harry Potter on night on the telly, and of course I won't be watching any Christian right programmed double features. You guys didn't really read my post, especially you befade, I would watch an evening of Christian fare, and that's exactly my point how could you avoid watching Ben Hur, The Robe, the Silver chalice, Quo vadis etc. just for the fun of it on occasion or that monstrosity by mel Gibson, i just watched scenes from Scorseses Christ film two nights ago. My whole point is variety, how would any of you not see this...absurd. really the more I think about it. I'm a villain because I think it sounds really fucking weirrd to say you are squeemish about a TYPE of film. yeeesh! i'm no lecturer, just a much more honest person about what I stop on when I surf..obviously. And i don't think joe and some others would take too kindly to thinking we all consider ourselves to be liberals..I hate them as much as the right. It's absolutely absurd to think a film discussion group would only watch ..oh wait a minute i'm starting to get Marc's vibe now..this may be a fluff chat-room after-all save a few..enjoy, i'm out for a while..latah

While I respect others feelings about not seeing certain films - I tend to agree with you (I think) in that I like to challenge myself and my preconcieved notions about certain films (motives of the filmmaker etc) - I didn't see The Passion of the Christ in the theatres -BUT i did force myself to see it on DVD - I mean this film was a theatrical phenomenon - with the profits it made -- my opinion didn't change much - it was what I expected and I really loathed parts of it - but occasionally a film will totally surprise me - as far as going against my expectations

I don't care for martial arts themed films - but I have forced myself to see some of the more well received ones and I don't regret it - although I have yet to see one that will make my favorites list - someday that may change (yes I have seen Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger etc etc)
tirebiter
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
I'll see any movie with naked nurses in it. The Seventies was a good decade for me.

I don't understand what the big deal about not seeing certain films or types of films is. I routinely avoid things based on what they're about-- "Hmm... not interested." That was certainly my call on "Passion of the Christ." What's the problem?
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
gary:

"What kind of little fascist mindset makes someone think that if you don't want to see a certain type of story in a movie or a certain kind of painting or read a certain kind of book, makes you somehow limited in you appreciation of the arts?"

Should I point out the obvious that if you are actively & consciously placing limitations on the type of art you will patronize, that you are by definition limiting your appreciation of the arts?

Watch what you want, dude. You want to pretend there are some crypto-facists here accusing you of art treason. You're not being oppressed just because others find your prejudices to be pointlessly stringent.

I'm certainly in no position to castigate anyone for their respective choices of patronage, but I'm not going to congratulate anyone for placing self-imposed near-arbitrary limitations on their own viewing preferences, either.

Live and let live.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Nobody has asked for either congratulations or castigations. I have probably sampled more types of films than most people, sometimes because I thought I should, but mostly because I wanted to. It seems foolish to me to keep trying to get blood from a stone--I don't find drug movies terribly enlightening. That said, the television film Traffik was one of the very best things I've ever experienced in any kind of medium. Why? Because it wasn't some shallow exercise in being hip or shocking or trippy for its own sake (though I don't might trippy for its own sake once in a while).

The way a lot of young directors seem to want to show they're edgy is by showing someone shooting up. Hollywood loves the drug cop movies. Neither type of film tells me a thing, and having seen deaths and wreckage wrought by drugs, I just don't find spending 2 hours in their company a worthwhile experience. Why is that so hard to understand?

As to wanting to see what all the buzz is about, I've tried it before and been exceedingly disappointed. I don't have mainstream tastes, for the most part, and have learned to deal with that.

And anyone who thinks this is a chat room can stuff it. We believe in free speech around here, not in being told whether we're being cool and relevant enough.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
"mind" not "might"

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Couldn't agree more. Marilyn doesn't have a taste for some flicks that I watch and doesn't watch them I on the other hand try to watch my stuff when she's not home. We've been know to go with others to flicks we prefer. It should be understood that I wasn't attacking anyones taste in themes I don't share, how inane would that be? Everyone here is offering thier takes on what they see in a flick if it appeals to me after reading one of these reviews to check out a film I normally wouldn't I'll probally write about it, nuff said.