Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

censored-03
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
The wife in A Walk On The Moon is perhaps one of the most complexly torn adulterers I've ever seen on screen. I've seen this film twice. the first time I enjoyed it, but considered it more or less a nice bauble about some mediumly interesting Jews and their fairly insular lifestyle while staying at their bungalow colony. That of course juxtaposed with the larger social implications of the summer that included man's walking on the moon and Woodstock. If I remember correctly it was also the summer of the Manson murders. On second viewing of AWOTM recently, I realized how much I really enjoyed the very nuanced and worthy acting performances by all involved in the project. Diane Lane as the wife and mother who has never had another man since she was a childhood sweetheart to the same man that she is now still with in this most sexually experimental of times. Liev Schrieber gives a very layered performance, might I say very real? He as the cuckold husband tries to grasp the almost insanity of being cheated on when you feel your love is a taken, something that is just supposed to be there, with a wife always in your corner. It's truly sad to watch when the interloper (Viggo Mortensen) is in the family's home and tries to help with the couples son when he is bitten by a nest of bees. The two men try to find some sort of almost tribal common ground in which to appreciate one another while there is obvious anger and threat between them from the husbands side and true regret and realization by Mortensens character that this was just the wrong family to literally have fucked with. Add to that a fine performance by Tovah Feldshuh as the wise but not too yenta like grandmother/mother-in-law who is probably the reason this family will try there damnedest to stay together...she's the glue. I always can't help feeling, knowing what cycles of life continued through the 70's, that this couple will probably not make it, but they might. It's an interesting take on the adultry angle in film and certainly a film while on that subject that I wouldn't hold myself back from seeing. I know I'm supposed to be in a fight to the death with Brownstone, but I gotta agree with him, I wouldn't let any "type" of movie keep me away because of uncomfortability. Sure if I'm not in the mood that day for bloodshed or on another for childish fun maybe I wouldn't see a film in those categories. But, it wouldn't keep me away from seeing The Thin Red Line or Spy Kids somewhere down the road. Films are all so different I can't see comparing them so easily for one aspect of there vcontent, even if that is talking about a film's main theme. To me it would be cutting something off from the cornupopia of film.

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Could you please break your posts into paragraphs, Censored? It's hard to read the way you do it. Thanks!

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say your snopsis has given me good reason to see AWOTM. I have no problem watching something in this vain when the offering is a stab at understanding unlike say Dangerous Laisons which sickened me. The acting was superb and the sets the best I just couldn't get past the idea that although we see revenge/justice in the end, the rest is pratically voyeristic.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought you saw A Walk on the Moon, Shane?

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Man in the Moon.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Think again. Diane Lane meets up with Viggo Mortenson, who is selling tie-dyed shirts, during the 60s and becomes a hippie chick.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I had a positive reaction to A Walk on the Moon, though it was overall a little too depressing to say I enjoyed it. The best single thing about it was the performance by Tovah Feldshuh as the mother. She deserved an Oscar nomination, but of course had no chance when the movie more or less tanked.
censored-03
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Marilyn wrote:
Could you please break your posts into paragraphs, Censored? It's hard to read the way you do it. Thanks!
Sorry Marilyn, for that you'd have to got to Music today. I was just riffing as usual and as usual got too tanked up and got a lot of words going and, and, and, pant, pant, pant...

lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
ehle: review of Breakfast on Pluto in the NYT.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/11/16/movies/16plut.html?8hpib

(I did like it, you know.)
marantzo
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
What kind of little fascist mindset makes someone think that if you don't want to see a certain type of story in a movie or a certain kind of painting or read a certain kind of book, makes you somehow limited in you appreciation of the arts? Well maybe painting is a bad example, because you can rush by it if you don't like it, not like a book which you have to spend a good amount of time on and a movie that you are sitting in a dark place to watch for a couple of hours. You aren't making a judgement on the merits of the work, you are making a choice of what you want to read or see. Are you against choice?

If one is a film historian it isn't wise to avoid a certain catagory of film, but other than that, you see what you want to see.

I still remember vividly when I said that I don't enjoy watching men make out with each other in movies, and it was as if I were shirking some sort of responsibilty and even worse, that I was some sort of narrow minded cretin if I didn't care for watching two guys make out in a movie. As a noted comedian would say, WEll EXCUUUUUUSE ME!

For a crowd that thinks of themselves as liberal, there are definitely some who have a desire to tell others what they should watch.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Are you just noticing that, Marantz. I used to be pelted with that kind of crap all the time (P.J. was the biggest offender).

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Are you just noticing that, Marantz. I used to be pelted with that kind of crap all the time (P.J. was the biggest offender).

No, I've noticed it all along. And have commented on it in the past.

It reminds me of a lovely Chinese woman that owned the takeout restaurant that we always ordered from (very good chinese food), I asked if i could get Hot and Sour soup without bean curd. No problem. Everytime I ordered it she would tell me how good, and good for you, bean curd was. I kept telling her that I've had it with bean curd and I don't like it. She still thought that I was doing the wrong thing.
Shane
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Toad food and Measle soup.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Marantz,

I didn't notice a single post in which someone said you should or have to watch a movie about adultery. You Canadians don't know how to read.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Some people are immature assholes. I can't help that.