Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Silent Movies

Marilyn
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I've only seen four of those. Looks like the VCR is going to be very busy that night!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Marantzo wrote on Nov. 8

Quote:
Speaking of TCM my cable company that has just put it on the air, bless them, is the only one in Canada to carry it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there is going to be some kind of Harold Lloyd festival Nov. 20 (I think).

I claim the credit for this breaking news. I'm beginning to believe Marilyn.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Believe what?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, that we don't read your posts.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Pipe down Marantz someone might hear you!!

We're going to need some more tapes, Sweetie!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't know about the rest of you, but the thing that struck me in this viewing of The Kid (which I hadn't seen it years) was:

What's the Tramp's backstory? Who was he before he became a tramp? He must have been a natty dresser at some point, and still tires to be, even in rags.. How did he get to be down and out? I don't think any of Chaplin's films addresses this, but it got me to wondering.

Isaacism, 2009
Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Good thought Nancy, when I worked in shelters that was one of the things which intrigued me most.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
I thought of it as a full measure of self-respect. He might've been a tramp, but he didn't have to act like one.

BTW, I found an interview with Suzanne Lloyd about the box and her grandfather. A little bit on the "happy" side (Lloyd, like anyone else, had a couple of skeletons in his closet), but interesting enough.

She talks about Welcome Danger not being in the box, but she really doesn't say why.

[url]http://www.dvdtalk.com/silentdvd/004910.html#An Interview with Suzanne[/url]
yambu
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
......What's the Tramp's backstory? Who was he before he became a tramp? He must have been a natty dresser at some point, and still tires to be, even in rags.. How did he get to be down and out? I don't think any of Chaplin's films addresses this, but it got me to wondering.
Wonder, yes, but do you really want to know? Not I.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I used to frequent a tavern where a Englishman was a regular. He seemed like a rather refined fellow, not well dressed, but carefully dressed. And he drank. A lot. Held it well. That's my thinking about The Tramp.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I once saw a man who was lying in the middle island of Park Avenue in NYC, he was dressed in a tailored suit without any shoes and he was filthy, the suit was ripped in places with his shirt untucked and no tie. I looked at him for quite a long time and then realized I had just witnessed the beginnings of a pathetic downfall, a man at the threshhold of skidrow and possible bumhood for lack of a better word, It was tragic, but some how strangely amusing to me at the time, a shedding sheep in punks clothing. I knew Charlie Chaplin...and he sir was no Tramp.

MVerdoux
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
Arbuckle clearly rivaled Chaplin in his heyday. But the Virignia Rappe scandal came right before the release of his first feature;

Just a slight correction - Arbuckle starred in eight features before the scandal. Wink

"We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost." - Charles Chaplin
MVerdoux
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
I've mentioned in the past that I'm more of a Keaton that a Chaplin person. The restoration is really excellent; the film technically speaking is excellent; Chaplin's timing is perfect; and I dunno if it's mimicry or what, but Jackie Coogan is an amazing kid actor. (I also watched My Boy and his Kid performance clearly wasn't a fluke.) The story itself was strong, even without putting it in the context of the 1920s. But it just didn't make me laugh. I smiled, I marvelled (sorry, don't cry at movies) - but no belly laughs.

Interesting - your reactions. I've known this film since I was a child. Indeed EVERYONE in Chaplin directed films is mimicing him, as that was what he required of the actors as a director. (Chaplin would have acted ALL the parts in his own films if he could have - and with today's technology it WOULD be possible.) This doesn't make Coogan's performance any less remarkable or admirable, though.

As for laughing/crying - obviously that's a personal thing. But the film is an amazing feat in this department as far as I'm concerned as I have both belly laughed and sobbed uncontrollably at moments throughout this film...and it is amazing how he delicately balances the two at points. His genius for this kind of stuff was solid.

lady wakasa wrote:
With the outtakes - I found the meeting with the father ("The Man") to be the one I'd like to see put back into the movie. It filled out the character much more and I think added a little something extra. But it (obviously) doesn't have to be in the film for the film to work.

Again - if one can get a hold of it on DVD - try watching it uncut. (btw LadyW if you like I'll loan it to you.) Smile

"We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost." - Charles Chaplin
Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Now ain't that nice, a real gen'leman he is!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
BTW, I was wondering what Jackie Coogan was screaming when they were taking him away. I'm hoping MVerdoux knows that...

As Coogan is first being pulled out the door of the flat by the driver he repeats (with hand extended) "Poppie!, Poppie!, Poppie!"

Once thrown in the truck, and it cuts to Jackie's medium close up, he cries/screams "Poppie! Ohhh! I want my Daddy! Ohh PLEASE!!! Ohhh...Papa!

Then after another cutaway to the Charlie being restrained...Jackie turns and looks upward - to pray to God - and says "Please don't take me away..." He repeats this to the main official before being pushed back into the truck.