Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
On second viewing, Pedro Almodovar's film noir Bad Education holds up quite well. The interplay of sin, guilt and revenge are quite powerful. While Bernal is remarkable in this movie, I became more aware of the extraordinary performance of Daniel Cacho as Father Manolo.

Thanks for this post. I have seen it 4 times and I swear it gets better and deeper with each viewing.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Shane,

Quote:
I found Slaughterhouse Five an amazing and sucessful attempt at a story

Agree totally.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
On a lighter note; I saw Designing Woman in 1963 when I was in Paris. They didn't seem to have an aversion to showing mainstream movies long after their release date, if they were good...or even bad sometimes. Things may have changed, but these movies would draw an audience. I liked it very much and wondered at the time how come I hadn't heard of it. It starred Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall, hardly obscure personalities. It was colourful, witty and delightfully charming. I just watched it again for the first time on TCM and it has lost none of it's sparkle. I just ate the damn thing up. The phrase 'they don't make them like that anymore' keeps coming to mind. I think they occasionally try, but they are always self-conscious efforts and if there is anything that these kind of movie aren't, it's self-conscious.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hirokazu Kore-eda's 1995 masterpiece Maborosi tells a mystical tale of a young woman's struggling with and coming to terms with deaths of people dear to her. The camera work is haunting, consisting of predominantly long shots with very few close ups. The camera is also mostly static, lingering on scenes for long periods. The blend of light and darkness is striking. This is pure cinema, a visual experience, with very little dialogue. Like in his latest movie "Nobody Knows", the sense of place is all encompassing in Kore-eda's movies. The long shots make the place and the players one. The light, the shadow, the water currents reveal the mood of and the turmoil within the characters. The influece of Ozu, in my view, is more evident in Maborosi than it was in Nobody Knows.
Shane
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
And as I heard lately, if you watch a person walk a long way to get to you it makes them important.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
I haven't been doing much lately except chilling out with grand cheerful nonsense by watching all of The Lord of the Rings films back-to-back. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through The Two Towers at the moment. Actually, my appreciation for this middle episode has gone up through the roof; in terms of the characters and its poetic middle-act breather, it might be the richest of the three chapters. I've also confirmed for myself that they really shouldn't be taken as separate entities, however, and are usually best watched as a (relative) whole.
Shane
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Rod I so agree with you. I just got our set back from the west coast and I had an aborted start but it's going to happen soon. I reall love the total rebuild they gave these releases. It's like watching a whole new movie. The Hobbittown begining is so much better it looks like they've lived there forever.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Even my Dad's starting to dig it, which is a real achievement, because he was traumatised by encountering too many patchouli-stinking hippies with extensive Tolkien collections in the late '60s-early '70s, giving him a near-permanent aversion to elfs and what-not. I said, just scrub out the elf ears with your mind and take it as war films and you're right at home.

I also recently re-viewed Revenge of the Sith, and I've been thinking a lot about it (is pondering Lucas the first sign of madness?), and it occurred to me that the excellence of the last chapter unfortunately points up the general failure of the second series.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
Rod:

I'm willing to give Two Towers, and per your post, the entire Rings trilogy, another go, but Episode III, the showdown between Kenobi & Skywalker excepted, is truly one of the most laughable films I've ever watched.

The moment of Vader yelling into the heavens, "NOOOOO!!!!!!!" strikingly resembled a Simpsons episode featuring Dr. Hibbard. Astonishly awful.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Two Towers is Lord of the Rings. And it's my favorite part of the trilogy.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
The moment of Vader yelling into the heavens, "NOOOOO!!!!!!!" strikingly resembled a Simpsons episode featuring Dr. Hibbard. Astonishly awful.

I thought it was glorious, myself, probably for much the same reason you hated it: it's pure, undisguised corn. And I like corn, dammit.
Rod
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Two Towers is Lord of the Rings. And it's my favorite part of the trilogy.

The best move of The Two Towers was introducing Miranda Otto's lovely Eowyn who made a good plucky girly-girl counterpoint to the masculine heroes and the third chapter gained hugely from her too, as Liv Tyler's initially gritty Arwen faded to a wispy bore.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
I just thought all the battles were really glorious. I like the DVD version because it adds back a lot the makes more sense and balances the unrelenting noise of war with some humor.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
I should say all my comments are based on the un-re-jigged un-re-stuffed DVDs of the original release prints, which I accumulated.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
I have no idea which home version I have, but I like it.