Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Earl
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
I'm BACK from my training sessions.

Saw Serenity - WOW! and DANG! (Hidden spoilers, highlight to read)

Did they have to kill BOTH Hogan and the Preacher! Loved Kaylee's remark: "You WANT to sleep with me? Dang, I'm going to live!" Plus we finally found out who the reavers were and why. Very topical and kinda scary when you realize that the government has been playing around with the population for a long time (tossing LSD into the air in the 70s.)

I agree witih one critic that it was what Star Wars I-III should have been.

I post here rather than on the movie forum because most of the Wheldonites are here.

LOST - Got to say they are boldly going where... (where ARE they going)? Who knows? Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

At least we found out where the polar bears came from. And why Lock is so obsessive. Dang, they should post his picture under the word OBSESSIVE!

DL

Appreciate your Serenity post. I may be telling you something you already know, but if you go to page 728 or so of the Current Film thread in the movie section, you'll see some posts on Serenity. For a few pages after that Joe and Marilyn had a very interesting back and forth on a choice made by a character at the end of the film. Valid points were made on both sides.

Re Lost: Somewhere on this thread at the end of last season I wondered if the show was mirroring the current "Religion v Science" debate going on in our society. We're now three episodes into this season and they do seem to be heading farther down that path.

I'm wondering why Ana Lucia behaved the way she did toward Jin, Sawyer and Michael. I can she why she might have been wary of them at first considering that there likely are "others" on the island who were there before the crash and these others may have infiltrated and/or attacked the other group of Oceanic815 survivors just as they did the group we've come to know and love. She may have initially thought Jin, Sawyer and Michael were part of these "others" and, therefore, dangerous. But as soon as she started conversing with them wasn't it plain from the things they were saying that they, too, were on that flight? Seems as if they should have been instant allies.

And did you catch the trailers from next week's episode? Jin not only spoke in English, but with an American accent. That's gotta be a dream sequence. I haven't heard the actor do that since I last saw him on Angel.
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I did Earl - but only after I had posted here. I thought Serenity was more Star Trek (people oriented) than Stars Wars. A pity they couldn't do more with the people and their relationships (Zoe and Hogan come to mind) but they were telling another story. A good story though, and they only had their 90 or so minutes to tell it.

---------------------------

Lost - I thought Ana was starting to believe them until she saw Sawyer's gun. I would be doubtful too. It did sound rather contrived. And since Ana went down into the pit I thought they at least weren't going to kill anyone until they were sure. (My guess is that the "Others" had really beaten up on this particular part of the flight.)

Not sure what I thought about Jin. Weird stuff - but good!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, Syd is making his way through my Firefly DVD's, after missing the opening of Serenity and being a bit confused. I think I'm getting him hooked.

Isaacism, 2009
dlhavard
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
Anybody watch Supernatural last night? That is one genuinely creepy show! But it's very well done. And the interaction between the two brothers is excellent. (And if you miss it WB does an encore on Sundays.)

Last night was about an Urban Legend - Bloody Mary. Say it three times while looking in a mirror and she comes and scratches your eyes out - literally. Definitely spooky!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
I keep forgetting about "Supernatural"--maybe I can catch it Sunday. The three-times-to-the-mirror bit was used in the movie "Candyman," which was a neat scary flick with Virginia Madsen; I might not even remember it, though, if the ending hadn't employed that device to bring a great comeuppance.
Nancy
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
Anybody watch Supernatural last night? That is one genuinely creepy show! But it's very well done. And the interaction between the two brothers is excellent. (And if you miss it WB does an encore on Sundays.)

When are they running it on Sundays? I caught the first episode, but have been missing it since. I think it's on at the same time as something else.

Isaacism, 2009
marantzo
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's on at the same time as something else.

Isn't everything?
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
I think it's on again around 6 or 7 EST. (Encore performances doncha know?)

LOST - well at least we are moving forward - finally! It was a good episode last night. Learned a lot more about Hurley and his angst. And something more about the "tail party" of 23 minus quite a few.

Though it wasn't much of a surprise to learn that Bernard was still alive.

I may be wrong but wasn't Rose's name Mona last year?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Got a pleasant surprise on Alias tonight when Amy Acker showed up in a supporting role. Her character seemed to be in the same position as Sydney at the start of the series. (i.e., she believes she's working for an off-the-books black-ops division of the C.I.A. but is actually working for a criminal organization.) While I haven't heard or read anything about her joining the show as a regular or semi-regular, it felt as if the episode left the door open for her to return next week. Maybe she'll catch on.

DL - Don't know about the Rose/Mona thing. Just can't recall.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
I read that "Restaurant Confidential," the show with Nicholas Brendon, has been cancelled. That's very disappointing--it was a pretty good show, and I loved the episode with John Larroquette. (Well, I love any episode of anything with Larroquette--too bad his new series is on the Hallmark(?) channel, which I don't get.)
Lacey
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
The Rachel Nichols character is the one with the Sidnay like back ground. Rachel was also on the short-lived show this summer I think called The Inside, which had Adam Baldwin from Firefly/Serenity on it. Amy Ackers plays a villian, which I love. I hope she'll be back. I was so geeked up to see her.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Charisma Carpenter has a regular role on Veronica Mars. She's a bitchy trophy wife.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Lacey wrote:
The Rachel Nichols character is the one with the Sidnay like back ground. Rachel was also on the short-lived show this summer I think called The Inside, which had Adam Baldwin from Firefly/Serenity on it. Amy Ackers plays a villian, which I love. I hope she'll be back. I was so geeked up to see her.

Yes, the Rachel Nichols character has a story similar to Syd's. And I got the impression that Amy Acker's character also believed she was genuinely working for the CIA. I wasn't confusing the two.

They both work for Gordon Dean and the audience at home knows Dean to be a villain, but it felt as if both women believed Dean to be a CIA department head. When Acker reported to him that Nichols (sorry, they were just introduced last night and I can't recall the character names) was behaving strangely, it seemed as if Acker was doing so out of loyalty to the CIA, not a case of, "Uh oh, Mr Dean, she's on to us and our evil plot." Then again, it was done vaguely enough that it could go either way.
Lacey
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Earl, interesting observation. I didn't read it that way at all. I assumed Ackers character was evil-- Especially since she was willing to blow everyone up rather than just arrest Rachel. It would be neat if they played more with this "who do you believe" thread.
Earl
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Lacey wrote:
Earl, interesting observation. I didn't read it that way at all. I assumed Ackers character was evil-- Especially since she was willing to blow everyone up rather than just arrest Rachel. It would be neat if they played more with this "who do you believe" thread.

I hadn't considered that at all and I now think you're right about her character. Come to think of it, in the opening sequence she was awfully cavalier about the way she dispatched the security guards at the facility where the deadly substance was being housed and researched.