Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Ghulam
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Have no idea how to use the "quote" feature.

Billy, instead of clicking the "post" button, click the "quote' button on the right of the post you want to quote.
Kate
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
You all have by now seen the latest ep, I am just about to watch - am pretty excited. Adriana is toast, I think.
lissa
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Taping tonight's episode now...will watch at 1...I turned it on and turned it off really quickly because I just know, with sinking heart, what's happening...

Melody...sadly, I did not save my comments...didn't realize they'd poof...now I'm pissed I didn't do that too *grins*

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So much happened in this penultimate episode. Whatever the last episode brings, this one will have to be called "co-climactic". A high level of tension was kept up from beginning to end. I was struck by the gas station scene when Christopher keeps staring wistfully at an impoverished couple getting their children in their rundown car while (SPOILER) Adriana is on her way to being whacked (END OF SPOILER). Is Christopher envious of an ordinary family who have next to nothing, while he is standing next to his huge, luxurious SUV?
Kate
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
All spoilers.....

So much to say, but Ghjulam, I think at the gas station Christopher was seeing his future on the run.

So sad to see Adriana go.
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
*closing my eyes to any spoilers* haven't watched yet *growls* but will before I post next. Just a thought, though...if indeed Adriana is gone...it was pretty dumb to advertise her on the new NBC spinoff...really bad foreshadowing. Sorry, worse than that...outright advertising as to her character leaving The Sopranos. I realize HBO and NBC probably don't consult with each other, but if she'd been signed on for the Joey show, perhaps she could have lasted into the next season...

This, of course, not having seen tonight's episode yet. Just meandering thoughts.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen it yet; having a power blackout here.
Enjoying it through your spoikers Smile
Charles
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:46 am Reply with quote
Ghulam said, "I was struck by the gas station scene."

So was I, but for a very different reason. SPOILER AHEAD

When Chris looks at the burned-out looking guy, the overweight bleached blonde, and their scruffy kids, it's my opinion he hasn't yet ratted on Adriana. He is weighing the idea she presented to him. But this nightmare vision of his future tips the scale for him.

Otherwise, this is again one of the greatest episodes in "Sopranos" history, and would be a fitting finale for the season. In fact, I seriously wonder whether they can top it in two weeks. Wouldn't be the first time the penultimate episode was the capper. Season Two's next-to-last episode was the one where Janice killed Richie. The final ep that season was a decided and disappointing anti-climax.

My big question here: will Tony spare Tony B. or not? I think there's a better-than-average chance he will. Ideas?
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote
Three more quick points about last night's episode. BIG SPOILERS AHEAD

Drea de Matteo may deserve an Emmy for her heartbreaking performance. True, it's only truly heartbreaking in retrospect or on second viewing, but even on first viewing it's emotionally sound and remarkably touching. She's a fine actress.

Second, lissa makes the point that de Matteo's publicized appearance as a regular on the Matt LeBlanc sitcom gave away her being whacked. First of all, I don't think that's necessarily true, and second, you can't expect that the producers of "Joey" are going to cancel all publicity to save surprises.

Third, Carmela has really made a pact with the devil now. Of course--OF COURSE--I'm thrilled that she and Tony are back together. They go together like ham and eggs. But her reaction to the Hermes scarf and her capitalistic drooling over the plot of land spell "accessory after the fact" big time. That said, I still adore Carmela. And Tony. Sue me. Their champagne toast with A.J. is the heart of the ambivalent Soprano vibe.
pedersencr
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quote
Have to wait til tonight to view it but, from what I see here already, it sounds like I'll be posting, for the second time, my disappointment at the treatment of women in the World of Sopranos. This time being used as the small-change currency for settling offenses and claims among the big guys, and the way it is still seems to be done in some cultures across the waters. There have now been three episodes that have provoked similar reactions in me, even though y'all have heard only of two. I've been holding back, to Give Sopranos the benefit of the doubt but I'm getting pushed down the slippery slope toward disapproval by these women-unfriendly episodes.
Sorry to grouch, but honesty demands,
Charles

PS If she's not already wahcked, maybe she'll make it to Witness Protection by some miraculous intervention? Or is that not allowed by the realism Sopranos demands?
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:24 am Reply with quote
I simply don't see where you're coming from with the woman-unfriendly rant. Melfi, Adriana, Carmela, Ro, Charmayne, etc., are all women of depth and (sometimes) intelligence, and, yes, sometimes, complicity, and, sometimes, codependence and victimhood. This looks like the truth of the Mafia world. Again, where are you coming from?
Ghulam
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
Billie and Kate, you guys may well be right about the gas station scene. However, (SPOILERS) when Christopher left Adriana to go out to "buy cigarettes", I, for whatever reason, knew that he was upto something bad. Next thing you know, Tony S. is on the phone telling Adriana of Christopher's "suicide attempt". Also, the impoverished family with children made more sense as uncomplicated but trouble-free souls, rather than a vision of his future. If he was seeing his future, he would be seeing years in prison or in hiding. Just my take, that's all.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
Sorry, Billy, not Billie.
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
MAJOR SPOILERS THROUGHOUT

There have been very few screen murders, and even fewer "off screen" which have had my stomach in knots the way last night's did. One of the first times I remember feeling that weakness in my knees was in the first (and subsequent) times I have watched Bill Sykes murder Nancy beneath London Bridge. Off camera, but her grace, her strength, her knowledge that she was in danger but did what she needed to do, and her spasming legs live a horror in my memory. And this event is reminiscent of that one. To the credit and power of the show, Adriana is shot out of our view. Her enroute emotions, obvious realization, fear but stoic fear as the landscape becomes more barren and more isolated... and then her cries, begging, and crawling out of camera range, create a more visceral horror than even the stabbing which we witness earlier in the show (from which I had to turn away). I couldn't turn away from Silvio's shooting arm...but it creates more of a horrible image in my mind than any of the more graphic depictions through the show's 5-year history. Kudos to the director (Tim Van Patten).

Adriana's realization came early in the ride to the forest, it is so apparent by her reaction. She knew it, and yet fought to the end, and when she began to resist, and Silvio showed that side of him we've only seen once before, when he went to fetch Tracy to come back to work, my stomach and knees fell out. I knew it was coming. I just didn't WANT to know it. Especially with the incredible twists and turns that the writers take us through, beginning when Chris chokes Adriana, right through to the actual event. I actually said, "Good girl!" when I thought she was driving out of town to escape. Talk about being taken through paces, as viewers, we are definitely experiencing superb tension in those last minutes of Adriana's life.

I have to agree, billy, that Chris was seeing his future before having told Tony about the FBI. And one of the most heartwrenching scenes was Adriana and Chris sobbing together after her disclosure to him.

As well, Ghulam, I also knew that she was in for it when Chris left her alone. There was no way he was going to go her way. He likes his luxuries and safety too much.

billy, you're right, my point in the advertising of Drea's signing onto the NBC show is presumptuous but that wasn't why I made it. I was merely pointing out that had the whole world NOT known she was on the show, none of the early "Adriana's getting whacked this season," predictions (sometimes made by detractors of the show) would have been out there. I guess it's just my fierce protectiveness of a show which has always kept its intent behind closed doors, suddenly blowing wide open this major plot point. Doesn't, for a moment, take away from the power of this episode. I'm still reeling.

Interesting observation at the beginning of the show, too - Tony, so easily and so skillfully, fixed Carmela's VCR. I thought to myself at that point, watched his triumphant and smug look, and wondered if he thought (given the segue of their conversation afterwards) that his marriage could be as easily fixed. Let's face it - he promised no more "indiscretions" - but in his world, he doesn't think about the women he takes up with, it's in his blood, in his way, in his life. The women aren't because he is dissatisfied with his wife, but they are extra curricular activities, people who serve to augment his power and importance. How long will that last, that promise? He buys her the land and she's happy - will he lapse into old ways? 11 episodes to find out...

BTW - is that land the same one on which Adriana was killed? Seems that way to me. Making it all the more chilling.

I share billy's view on the Soprano pater/mater being one again...it is a strength of the show that they are together. Apart it was just too....disjointed, and not as rich as Tony coming home to his wife. It was important for us to see him on his own - perhaps he HAS learned that Carmela plays such an powerful role in his day-to-day happiness and ultimate validation. I hope so.

When AJ swears at the table, I had to smile - ordinarily it was "3 dollars fine!" but then Tony repeats his sentiment and even Carm has to smile. It was a very warm family moment, which goes to prove that even mobsters enjoy Sunday dinner en famille...*g*

And I also share billy's view on the women on the show. Adriana is killed not because she is a woman, but because she is a threat. The other women are just as savvy as she was, but they don't get whacked because they know enough to keep quiet. Adriana had no choice, when she was first picked up by the FBI, but she also became a loose cog and had her fate sealed. We all saw it coming. But it isn't because she is a woman, in fact the way she handled herself, the length of her life after having first been approached by the Feds, all speak for her strength.

Just really really sad that she got killed...I could feel her fear, and her face, with the knowledge of her destiny, will live in my mind's eye for way longer than I'd like.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
Adriana's angst:

[as the landscape becomes more barren and more isolated...

Good observation, Lissa.size=18][/size]