Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marc
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:54 am Reply with quote
My Uncle Richard has pointed out that the AFI list does not include a single tune written by Cole Porter.
jenifer
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:15 am Reply with quote
If anyone here cares anymore, the following was posted at the Times "Movie Review" forum:

joan-moderator - 10:28 PM ET June 22, 2004 (#256 of 260)

Well guys...
This forum is officially being closed tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday).

The good news is, by having the Movie Reviews forum, we realize you do not like referencing the reviews, but you want a place to discuss current films intellectually.

Please be patient and for now take your conversations to Hollywood & Movie News. In the future if we feel there are enough discussions going on to break the forum into two different entities, we will do so. But until then, please discuss current releases, Hollywood, industry and movie news in the above mentioned forum.

Thanks,
Joan
jenifer
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:16 am Reply with quote
"we realize ... you want a place to discuss current films intellectually..."

They didn't know that already??? Hello???
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
LOL
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quote
I should leave well enough alone, but considering my passion for political issues going on, I'm going to have to eat my words from my previous post. Of course, i am guilty from my last comment in my previous post about bringing up open/closed mind discussions.

Joe Vitus wrote:
How is my mind anymore "set" than yours? It seems like we're both maintaining our original positions. It seems like you're saying that you are openminded and I'm closeminded. Where does that come from? Or am I misreading you?

Someone who accepts it was ok to go to war even after it has been noted that the verbage and reasons we used to go to war were unreliable and confirmed to have inaccuracies shows signs of having a closed mind, at least about that issue. It's like saying, "Ignore the fact that they told untruths to get us into war. Iraq was bad and we needed to go in there and take care of the situation. No other president would do anything about it, nor would a lot of other countries. If no one else did, nothing would have been done." This is pretty much what I am reading from your posts.

An open mind is one who considers various options. If there's a reason to go to war, then lets have some evidence. I don't mind trusting someone like Bush to lead us to war IF the reasons were solid. I don't like the idea that we go to war with a country on information that ends up being unreliable and not all correct. If the reports were coming back and saying "Yes, there was a relationship between Osama and Saddam and we have records, pictures and verified sources that WMD were moved out of the country and chatter happened... hell, even if one of these things was verified to be true, then by all means, I'll support the war. But that wasn't the case. Therefore, I cannot, in good faith and protection for the safety of the people in this country, accept that it was ok to go to war. But, I am open minded enough to change my tune IF proof is found. It may be 10 years down the road.. maybe only 2 months... maybe never. I'm open enough to change my mind on this, based on those facts.

What i'm saying is that war is a serious undertaking and if we do go to war, there had better be more solid reasons than "it's suggested" or "it's possible" I faulted Nixon and Johnson for their lack of reliable sources to take us into Vietnam. It was a mistake and even people that supported it 'heel-to-toe' back then, are now saying it was the wrong thing to do, after the facts and other issues came out. My mother is one of those. Back in 1970, she was behind the war 100%. 15 years ago, she admitted after reading the facts and other details that it was wrong and the war was a big mistake. My feeling is that one of these days, people are going to be doing the same thing with Iraq. The only difference is that today, we know many things that were incorrect and unreliable reasons why we should be over there.... Ok, i'm done with this. I've spoken my words on it. Maybe we'll revisit this in 10 years? Wink

Joe Vitus wrote:
The idea that criticizing this or any president is "unpatriotic" is ludicrous to me. Our country is founded on the freedom of the people to disagree with their leaders, and change them when they decide they aren't satisfied with the leadership. Bush strikes me as having been a fairly average president. I don't think he's an idiot, or a villain, but I don't think he's another Abe Lincoln, either.

And of course, I have criticised him, particularly for his support of the amendment against gay marriage.

That's good to know. I had thought otherwise, so I thank you for clarifying this. I agree with you on these last two statements. It's good to find at least something we can agree on. Smile

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
jenifer wrote:
"we realize ... you want a place to discuss current films intellectually..."

They didn't know that already??? Hello???

I know.. cracks me up. That's why we are here.

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
"My feeling is that one of these days, people are going to be doing the same thing with Iraq."

chilly--The good news is that with Iraq it's already happening, big time.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
"My feeling is that one of these days, people are going to be doing the same thing with Iraq."

chilly--The good news is that with Iraq it's already happening, big time.

Yeah, I know, but some people, like my mother, it takes more time than what most of us already know today. No slams against my mother, but she's pretty die hard Republican and it's just nice to hear her say "You know Nixon was a bad president" after hearing her say 31 years previous saying "I support Nixon, he's done nothing wrong."

Which means I only have another 10 years before she does a 180 degree with Reagan.

Hell, she thinks Clinton was a bad president because he got his dick sucked in the oval office. She thinks Kennedy was a good president, even though it's common knowledge he fooled around every chance he got. I have a theory on all of this, but I'll have to post it later. Too much to get into now. My head hurts.

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Chilly--I get your point, but in the Vietnam era, people were much slower to get that the war was immoral. Today, they're turning against the war in droves. Yay!!!
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, billy, that's so true. Must be our constant need to know what's going on. Thank god and curse the internet.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Saw this today... even though it seems we had odds with Nils (I don't, but I know others do), it seems like he gets the whole Trinity thing with oilbotpirate:

Quote:
bartonphink - 12:31 PM ET June 23, 2004 (#411 of 420)
"The metaphysicians of Tlon do not seek for the truth...but rather for the astounding." -- Borges

It is within the realm of possibility that Jbottle, Oilcan, and DredPirate are a single person of frustrated thespian proclivities. As happens from time to time, there is an odd congruity of language and turn of phrase between all three of them.

ehle64
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see you made it to Taos okay, marantzo -- big hugs to Jenn! well, okay, hug Marc, too Smile
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Chilly,

As my last word on this subject:

For what it's worth, when it first looked like we were going to attack Iraq after 9-11, I was against it. But the refusal of Iraq to let the UN inspect thoroughly, and then kicking them out made me very uncomfortable. And Bush made a (to me) credible argument for going in. I still find it credible.

Perhaps in 15 years we will agree. Who knows which of us might change our minds by then? Wink
dlhavard
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Anybody have one of those 5-7 inch DVD Players? How do you like them (picture/sound quality)? I'm interested in getting one but have heard some horror stories.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
UN inspectors had returned to Iraq and were in the middle of their work when Bush decided to attack, forcing Kofi Anan to recall them. Clinton, who has been very careful about what he says about Bush's war, did say that Bush should have let the inspectors finish their work.