marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Situation normal, all fucked up.
lshap
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Nancy wrote:
ehle64 wrote:
Ya know? I keep looking at all of that water being drained out of the city limits and where's it going? Into the Lake. That's surely got to fuck up some more ecosystems then they've already done by depleting the Wetlands. *sigh*

Yeah, but where else are they going to put it?

If they could only figure out a way for all that sludge to power automobiles we could solve two problems at once.
Syd
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Everybody's mourning Gilligan and nobody's mourning Maynard G. Krebs?

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, Sean Penn got a boat and went out to rescue people from their homes. From this article, it was strictly amateur hour. The next day, one article said that he managed to rescue a handful of people.

Sean Penn's rescue bid sinks
From correspondents in New Orleans
05sep05

EFFORTS by Hollywood actor Sean Penn to aid New Orleans victims stranded by Hurricane Katrina foundered badly overnight, when the boat he was piloting to launch a rescue attempt sprang a leak.

Penn had planned to rescue children waylaid by Katrina's flood waters, but apparently forgot to plug a hole in the bottom of the vessel, which began taking water within seconds of its launch.

The actor, known for his political activism, was seen wearing what appeared to be a white flak jacket and frantically bailing water out of the sinking vessel with a red plastic cup.

When the boat's motor failed to start, those aboard were forced to use paddles to propel themselves down the flooded New Orleans street.

Asked what he had hoped to achieve in the waterlogged city, the actor replied: "Whatever I can do to help."

With the boat loaded with members of Penn's entourage, including a personal photographer, one bystander taunted the actor: "How are you going to get any people in that thing?"

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
gromit wrote:
Quote:
Too bad about Trent Lott's house. How he must be suffering.

It's sad. I heard his lawn jockey drowned as well.

Poor baby.
Aw, c'mon. Don't gloat over something like that..
ehle64
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call that gloating. I mean, the man's a Senator, he probably has a $2.5 million condo in Georgetown. It's not as though he's actually homeless. Plus, the footage of our pResident Thief touting how Lott lost his home, over and over and over, and then saying he'll be the first one to sit on his new front porch with him is just sickening and everything you'd expect from some dork-assed priviledged whiteboy.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Good Old Trent has health, home, and property insurance. Unlike alot of the New Orleans and Gulf Coast poor.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Regarding Sean Penn rescue attempt - I think it was on Salon where I read that his boat did not spring a leak, it took on some water due to being over loaded with rescuees and that he ended up rescuing 30 people.
judithannie
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
I looked up the Sean Penn reference on Salon and here is what it said:

Quote:
And Sean Penn's boat didn't spring a leak during his own rescue efforts on Monday -- it was just too full. "There was never a leak," according to Douglas Brinkley, the Tulane University historian who accompanied Penn as part of a story he's working on for Rolling Stone. "The boat was overloaded with people. It got some water in it, as boats usually do. I witnessed him rescuing up to 40 people. He was up to his waist in toxic muck ... I'm not going to comment on Sean's trips to Iraq or Iran, but in this case, he was an American hero." (BBC, N.Y. Daily News)
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
Letter in The New York Times :

While touring the Astrodome in Texas, which is being used as a relocation site, Barbara Bush, the president's mother, made a comment that rivals "Let them eat cake" in its arrogant and clueless insensitivity.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them" (news article, Sept. 7).

The remark is a revealing insight into the sort of aristocratic and detached "family values" held by the Bush family. It helps explain the gut-level sympathy that seemed missing in the president's response to a catastrophe that fell hardest on our most vulnerable citizens.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Amen, brother.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
Don't know if you all, like me, missed the concert for Katrina with the Kanye West comment, but if so, click here:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/09/02.html#a4762

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
I don't mean to knock Sean Penn. At least he's out there trying to help. But it did seem like a celebs idea of how to help. His boat is fileld with a personal photgrapher and a Rolling Stone journalist and other entourage people.
Wouldn't it be better to leave some of that dead weight behind to have more space for evacuees? Why not replace his crew with a medical professional and one rescue personnel.

BTW, the report I saw said he helped "several people."
If he helped 40 people, he probably has high quality pics of it.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
His boat is fileld with a personal photgrapher and a Rolling Stone journalist and other entourage people.

entourage people? Like who? I can understand doing a rescue mission with a photographer and journalist. Penn is documenting something that the world should see: a private citizen rising to the task of helping his fellow human beings. When our government can't walk it like they talk it, the people got to intercede.
gromit
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks Ehle. That's worth watching.
From news reports, I thought he had planned a small attcak on Bush. But West was really speaking from his heart.
Funny to see Mike Myers (?) try to stay on message and read whatever pap was scripted for him, while West is speaking his mind and feelings. I got an entirely different read from actually watching that, than how it was portrayed int he media.