Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

lshap
Posted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Tube me!
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The fact that television can boast shows of wildly divergent quality is no big whoop. Movies, plays, books, etc.--all forms of media, entertainment, etc. have many examples of artistic achievement and drek. The amazing thing about television IMO is that--without the huge budgets and time allotment that are allowed to big movies--it can occasionally yield work of such titanic worthiness.

No one who has known me for more than five minutes can fail to know that I consider "The Sopranos" one of the supreme works of art of the last 50 years in ANY medium, but television has also given us motion picture--yes, MOTION PICTURE--achievements like "Six Feet Under," "The Shield," and "Queer as Folk"--all of which at their best rival the best of theatrical film. So let's stop being snobbish about the tube. It won't wash, leastways not around ol' billyweeds.
Terese
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
Well said Billy. Unfortunately The Sopranos is on really really late here in Aus, but I always watch Six Feet Under. Obviously we're a season or two behind here but is/has Rachael Griffiths left SFU? I really hope not.
ehle64
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I hope not either!!!

If there's any consolation, she's in the gorgeous new ads for the New season that starts here in June. Razz
Kate
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
What is it?
Kate
Kate wrote:
What is it?
Melody
Terese wrote:
... is/has Rachael Griffiths left SFU? I really hope not.

No, she was still on during this last season, but didn't appear until the 4th or 5th ep. In the promos for the new season starting in June, she's on the outside looking in. Veddy interesting because of the developments at the tail end of this season which I won't spoil for you. Surprised

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, sorry just trying to figure this out. If you type a subject, where does that show up?

Anyway, I was asking what the very cool song in the ads was.
Melody
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kate"]If you type a subject, where does that show up?

Look at the top of your post, just to the left of that cute "Quote" box in the upper right-hand corner. It says "Subject:"

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Melody,

Thanks but I did type in a subject on my first post and as I look to the quote I don't see anything.

Just me trying to figure this out.

BTW, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
lshap
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I went nuts for SixFeet Under when I first saw it. I mean nuts -- the first episode grabbed me and I devoured the first season like a starving man at a buffet table.

Problem is I've never gotten past season 1. I don't get the channel and it's not in any neighbourhood video/dvd stores.

But based on what I saw it's every bit as good as The Sopranos.
Kate
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I am going to commit sacrilege here, but I think 6FU is better than the Sopranos. I like the characters better, I can identify more with them and for me that brings it closer to home. I love the Sops, but I adore 6FU.
lissa
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
SFU is an awesome show. It gets better with each season. And the ads, ehle are stunning, you're spot on. Looks amazing, doesn't it? At least there's something to look forward to when Tony and the Gang leave our screens in *sobs* 2 more episodes... Crying or Very sad

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't know how to choose between those two shows. They're both great. Throw in a new season of The Wire and move Alias to HBO -- I'd never go back to network again!

You know, if it weren't for HBO, I'd get a helluva lot more reading done.
Smile

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay, lets get the Buffy going over here. I'm going to repost this over at NYT, but in response to our discussion there, I rewatched the episode tonight.

Galdarn it, Angel did order Lorne to kill Lindsey. I didn't believe it until Angel told Eve he wasn't coming back for her. I still think Lorne was going to get out either way...he was a karaoke interpreter who got drafted - he would have left long ago but for being drafted as Connor's nanny, and then he came to Wolf, Ram and Heart to be a show biz exec. His angst was real and I think they were really true to his character.

I actually ended up taking notes tonight...I was afraid I'd forget stuff. Spike's Cecily poem I noticed for the first time, included the line my heart's grown a bulge in it (to rhyme with the infamous efflugient or whatever). Does this sound anything like "There's a traitor here beneath my breast, if my heart could beat, it would break my chest!"? Spike repeats himself. I love it.

The climactic scene where Angel says to whatshisname "what part of that sentence should you not have said?" as he realizes that being a VAMPIRE is his weapon against him was yell out loud kickass.

And the overall theme of fighting the good fight in the face of overwhelming evil is as awesome as the Buffy finale's theme that sharing the power multiplies it.

In that vein...the exchange between Angel and whatsiname: "People who don't care won't understand" "Yeah, but they won't care!" - was my favorite line in a night of great zingers.

What's awesome is there is more to say but I can't remember right now. I want to do a 'viewer's commentary'.