Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Directors Series - Federico Fellini

Marilyn
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I am slightly hurt, Bocce, that you didn't remember the highly successful Movie Musicals Forum, which I moderated. I was very proud of how long it lasted and how fruitful its contents were.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
should i apologise now or just put it into the cue of apologies i supposedly owe you?

MUSICALS was fine and you did a splendid job keeping it going well beyond its life cycle.

i'm still waiting for your definitive response as to what makes WOODSTOCK (your assertion) a musical...
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I know you're hot for me, but can we keep it on a business-like level?

Woodstock was a movie that I wanted to debate in terms of whether it could be considered a new type of musical or not. I was interested in how musicals were used over the years to deliver new songs to the public, reuse old songs in new formats, and reveal the state of the art in song-delivery methods. I don't see movie musicals strictly in the terms dictated by Broadway's format--indeed, the format underwent change, too, and still is in terms of content. It seemed to me that Woodstock could have been a missing link to a new form of musical. Whether I think it is a musical (I don't--it's more properly a documentary), any examination of musical presentation on film should at least look at concert films and how they may have killed the movie musical by providing a different format for delivering new songs to a new audience.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
marilyn...

thanks for the response. it's encouraging to know you do not, in fact, think that WOODSTOCK is a musical (otherwise, i'm sure i'd have had a lot more apologies to add to the queue from the ensuing squabble).

i hope you take this in the mischeev-i-ous sense it's meant and don't go "nuclear" on me.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I did enjoy this Fellini forum.
Felt bad that I didn't have too much to add, expecially towards the end. Part of my problem was that I watched The White Sheik, I Vitelloni and La Strada for the first time a good 3-4 months prior to the start of this Fellini forum. I commented a bit on the first two when I originally watched them.

Then I couldn't find alot of other Fellini, or at least not with English sub-titles. I have Roma, Satyricon, Voice of the Moon, and Ginger & Fred-- all without English. I did watch 10 minute snippets of each to get the visual texture. I was especially disappointed about G&F, as I have been interested in watching that since its release. The others were copied Japanese versions, so I wasn't surprised by the lack of English. But G&F looked allrigth and should have had English subbies.

I did re-watch 8.5 (about my 6th viewing) and even watched Woody Allen's variation, Stardust Memories. But never got enough thoughts to post. And the commentary others did on 8 2/4 was at a high level, so I just followed along passively. Then I just totally punked out by the time Amarcord rolled around. I did re-watch it, but several weeks before we got to it, as I couldn't hold off.

Otto e mezzo's participation towards the end was welcome.
And Censored did a fine job. Stayed upbeat and informative.

I just finished watching Sergio Leone's For A Fistful of Dollars, and thought that he borrowed from Fellini the close-ups that linger on people's faces, letting faces tell part of the story. Of course, instead of Fellini's chatty, charming eccentrics, Leone displays stubble, scars, and hats pulled down low over keen and/or squinty eyes. But it did seem a modified version of what Fellini practiced, just placed into the service of a different genre/narrative.

And maybe that's a good way to wind this thing down ...
- who are Fellini's followers?
- what elements of Fellini film-making are still around? (and in what form?)
- how did Fellini alter the landscape of possibilities in film?

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
From Amarcord, Uncle Teo, crazy or not, is perhaps my favorite character in all of film. Ranks right up there with Lemme Caution. And Gen. Buck Turgidson.

Might be too difficult, certainly inane, but it'd be interesting to have everyone list their top 5 favorite characters. Maybe Couch would be a better place, but I think it'd be enlightening.
Not sure if it's necessary to distinguish between characters and performance, but I think they are sufficiently intertwined.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City

Well, as we wind this forum up, I'd like to say it's been fun watching all of those Fellini works. As with any artist we all have our favorites pieces. With films, maybe just a scene, and in Federico's case, as mentioned by some of you, just passing snippets of a facial expression or a curious image can be enough to move us in some worldly or other-worldly way.

All in all Fellini, if nothing else, has his own inimitable style. I can think of other film-makers who were strongly influenced by him, but they didn't, or more interestingly, couldn't reproduce or fill the screen with the same quality of organic humor and pathos. I think between the early 50's and mid 70's Fellini opened up film-making to a new and very personal style. He was unashamed to give his world view using the subjects he knew best. He upped the ante and almost dared other film-makers to make as personal a film as any one of his. By personal I don't necessarily mean just close to his heart and mind, but more to yours, the viewer.

I love Federico Fellini's films for their atmosphere, warmth, absurdity, confusion, decadence, loyalty, loneliness, ambiguousness, hurt, yearning for love, conquest of love, defeat through love....and his choice in music to accompany all of those films...and of course the one thing I kept noticing more than anything else seeing so many films in this chronological way..his love for that same damn howling wind sound effect through the decades ! LOL Federico....

Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks regarding my (first film forum) moderating. I am glad to learn in the end that a lot of folks were reading and watching even if they didn't specifically contribute too much in here. The people who did post often had fascinating and often new revelations about this great director. I certainly learned a lot, and was prompted to see some new things.

My hope is that these Third Eye Directors Series and our other forums will in time be viewed and enjoyed by more and more people on the Internet. I was thrilled a couple of months ago when I accessed something about Fellini and found us as a link there ! Now, go out and enjoy one of the Fellini's we didn't cover in here.

Thanks Federico !

ehle64
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
Many of you know that Fellini is my favorite Director. That I begged at times for this forum is well known. All I can say is, thank you censored-03 for loving the subject and taking it into your hands by moderating this forum. I have been keeping up, dragging behind a few weeks due to vacations and other commitments, but have always been reading along with the outstanding commentators on the films. The Films. They stand the test of time already. Timeless, perhaps. Thanks for doing an outstanding job, and thanks to everyone else in here, our beloved film sanctuary that lurked, posted, argued, and mutually loved the one and only Federico!

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
My hope is that these Third Eye Directors Series and our other forums will in time be viewed and enjoyed by more and more people on the Internet.

well, that's not likely until lorne takes the archived forums out of the members only (LOCKED) spare bedroom section. i've asked about this several times before. maybe someone with more influence can get him to change this.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
If you google for "Third Eye Federico Fellini Director's Series", you get 7,370 hits, but it seems only the first two are ours.
ehle64
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd mention that Vanity Fair released a 50 Greatest Movies of All Time list and Amarcord was on it.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
"Our minds can shape the way a thing will be, because we act according to our expectations. The hard thing is beginning. Whatever it is you want to do in life, you must begin."

-Federico Fellini

Pictures of Florence, Rome, and Venice now up!
Click on the Italian flag.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
otto, you've been a very interesting contributor to the Fellini forum. Why don't you drop in on some of the others. I'm sure you have some things to say about movies by other directors.
otto e mezzo
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
"I just finished watching Sergio Leone's For A Fistful of Dollars, and thought that he borrowed from Fellini the close-ups that linger on people's faces, letting faces tell part of the story. Of course, instead of Fellini's chatty, charming eccentrics, Leone displays stubble, scars, and hats pulled down low over keen and/or squinty eyes. But it did seem a modified version of what Fellini practiced, just placed into the service of a different genre/narrative."
-Gromit

Leone is another brilliant director. One of my favorites. Have you seen "Duck You Sucker" by Leone?

I got this poster in Rome. They also have a cool site:
http://www.archivioimmaginicinema.com/catalogominipostertutti.htm