Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

marantzo
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks, that makes a big difference Seriously.
daffy
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With Negotiations Stalled, Clock Ticks Down for CBGB in Rent Dispute

By BEN SISARIO
Published: August 1, 2005

Hilly Kristal was feeling optimistic.

Though CBGB, the landmark Bowery rock club he founded in 1973, is embroiled in a legal dispute with its landlord and faces eviction at the end of the month when its lease expires, there were signs, Mr. Kristal said, that an agreement would be reached soon.

"I think it's going to be settled amicably," he said by phone last week from his office at the club, where, at 73, he still arrives early each morning and answers the phone with a quick, cordial "CB's."

But as Mr. Kristal discussed the situation, his attitude changed. He said he was certain that his landlord - the nonprofit Bowery Residents' Committee, which aids about 8,000 homeless people each year - "wants me out," and he soured on the prospects of a new lease.

Then he excused himself to go to a meeting where, Mr. Kristal said, he would discuss moving the club to Las Vegas....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/01/arts/music/01cbgb.html

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Syd
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Carole King is on tour in Oklahoma City. I'm severely tempted.

And I'm also tempted to have my name on all forums at once.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
When I used to hang out and play at CBGB's in the various bands I was in, the only Bowery Residents' Committee lived in cardboard boxes and drank Moondog wine...it's all over...the residents there now wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it came up and bit them on their gentrified asses ! So long Hilly, and the good times...

unohoo
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Man that talk about Cream a few eeks ago, had me pick up "Disraeli Gears" along with Cool J's classic "Bigger and Deffer" and The Stooges "Raw Power".

"Raw Power" seems right for the moment to me. It's August in Texas (just like it is everywhere else), and when you're riding around in your Mom's old beat up Volvo station wagon with no a/c, this shit makes sweating on the Katy freeway almost cool.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
A few eeks ago is a technical term.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The news about CBGB's in New York carries an unfortunate resonance over here. Visitors to Liverpool are reminded frequently & tiresomely that they have arrived in "The Home of The Beatles", a phrase which has probably been copyrighted. It also rings a little bit hollow.
In 1973 the municipal authority refused appeals from local people (local municipal taxpayers, it should be remembered) for funds to safeguard the future of the original Cavern Club. Instead, in their infinite wisdom, the local city fathers decided to demolish the site & turn the area into a parking lot.
A generation later saw the success of Eric's, directly opposite the original Cavern Club. Eric's was well-known locally & nationally for playing host to numerous punk & New Wave acts. The Clash, Elvis Costello & countless others all played there while still largely unknown. By 1980, however, Eric's had run into financial problems, caused largely by the demise of the punk live scene; musical trends at the beginning of the '80s (New Romantic, Goth) just didn't have a similar relish for live performance. Appeals were organised but they fell on stony ground. It seemed depressingly apt that Eric's finally closed its doors shortly after John Lennon's death.
Last year saw the closure of The Picket, a venue in Liverpool which provided local, unsigned bands with a platform for live performance & recording facilities (courtesy of equipment donated by Elvis Costello, Pete Townsend, Paul Weller & many others). The Picket was part of a wider community resource, providing advice & information on issues like welfare assistance & legal representation. The local municipal authority had clearly learned nothing from the fiasco of 30 years' ago, turning down countless appeals from the local community for the venue's survival. The decision was made to sell the venue to a property development business which intends to build luxury apartments there.

"they paved Paradise to put up a parking lot".
zwirnm
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 46 Location: Washington, District of Columbia
I've been mostly away for the past couple months, but wanted to poke my head in and say hey. Just (re)located myself and my spouse in DC, so if anyone has any recommendations for Washington-area clubs, record stores, etc. please let me know.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd get on the 9:30 Club's mailing list. They always seem to have some good shows booked there.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
chilly -

Have you been to a new blues club called the Circle Lounge? I'm curious what that would be like in your town.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
I've not been yet, but plan on going here soon.

I love a good blues club and have been to some pretty cool ones back east (don't recall names, but there's one in Boston that was very nice... close to Faneuil Hall that I liked a lot) .... and of course, BB King's in Times Square is pretty cool.

So is this a nationwide string of clubs?

Here's a CitySearch summary
http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/41365053/salt_lake_city_ut/circle_lounge.html

daffy
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
I love a good blues club and have been to some pretty cool ones back east (don't recall names, but there's one in Boston that was very nice... close to Faneuil Hall that I liked a lot) .... and of course, BB King's in Times Square is pretty cool.

So is this a nationwide string of clubs?

I don't know if it's nationwide. The only reason I know about the place at all is because I was reserving a car on an 800 number the other day and I asked the woman on the other end where she's located (I'm always curious about that kind of thing). She said SLC and I asked her what there was to do there in the way of night life and she mentioned that place. I immediately thought of you. Salt Lake is a pretty city, and if I ever get back there for some outdoor stuff it would be nice to have a little bit of indoor fun, too.

Circle Lounge sounds more like a jazz place, a little high-end for a "blues club" (her term, not mine), but it could be nice. Odd that the comments at that link didn't seem to say much about the music.

If you're coming back to New York any time soon, there's a few other other good blues clubs here besides B.B. King'$$$: Terra Blues, Ear Inn, Knitting Factory, Backroom. Hippie's old saloon the Rodeo Bar gets some great rockabilly acts and stuff like that. Lucille's Grill at B.B.'s sometimes gets good acts for free, but the atmosphere is pretty sterile. I saw Jon Paris there once and he still managed to rock the joint. I saw Marcia Ball and Buckwheat Zydeco on the Mainstage (not the same night). They were terrific, but there's no dancing allowed, which sucked big time. Will you be out here anytime?

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
You know, for the times that I boob about this place, there's so much more to Salt Lake than religious freaks holding up signs at Pride Day.

The nightlife here is really not too bad, but as you may have seen from the CitySearch page, the private club rule does get pretty lame. I mean, paying a membership fee just to have a drink seems very odd, especially to visitors.

As for blues clubs, there's another one here in town called The Blue Note (i know there are others with the same name in various parts of the country) which I've been to and it's very cool... a bit dingy at times, but none the less, cool to listen to some great blues.

We have a jazz club here, but I've not been... it's a piano bar and they have a cigar room as well. This one is called The Tavernacle (a pun on one of the name of a mormon building in Temple Square) and it's non smoking, too (an odd thing for a jazz club, at least in the stereotypical view)

As for a visit to NY anytime soon, I would love that. But money wise and time wise, it's not a possibility in the near future. I'd love to make a visit in early 2006 and have actually talked to my g/f about going. I know it would be great to meet all of you there... plus I love NYC and can't believe it's been almost 5 years since I was there last.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Heading out to the Motley Crue show tonight. Skipping most of the opening bands (Silvertide -- never heard of them, The Exies -- haven't heard of them either) and catching at least one of them (Sum 41) and a chance to see the Crue in action again for the first time since 1989 (for me, at least).

If Brownie were still here, I'd have a fan to share this with. Regardless, I'll post my thoughts on the show sometime next week.

ehle64
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote
That people know who Jessica and Ashlee Simpson are and have no idea who The Arcade Fire are really, really annoys me.