Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Directors Series - Federico Fellini

mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
marantzo wrote:
.....Have you noticed how few women are his subjects? I can't think of any off the top of my head....
I just remember one, a drawing of a street waif somewhere, sitting on a curbside. I can't remember if I saw the original, but it has stayed with me.

Some of his early Dutch paintings (The Potato Eaters, for example) include women.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote
There is also one portrait of an older woman with black hair in Arles. Cannot remember the name.

Sorry to repeat mention of The Potato Eaters...I have just returned to visit this forum for the first time in weeks because of an extremely busy personal schedule.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
An Old Woman from Arles :

http://www.oldmasterpiece.com/painting-en_1274.html
censored-03
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I see we are looking at women subjects painted by Vincent. Not a bad thing to do on a hot afternoon. All of these are also non-models. Is he the best, or what ?!

La Berceuse (woman rocking cradle)

Madame Trabuc (wife of an acquaintance)

Woman - Arles (another)

censored-03
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought they would all be the size of the last painting..oops.

Ghulam
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Censored, the Arles woman with black hair was the one I was looking for, but I could not find her. Thanks.
bocce
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
Is he the best, or what ?

sorry, my friend, but he doesn't even come close to several other artists, probably the foremost of which would be his forerunner frans hals (from whose technique van gogh borrows shamelessly).
censored-03
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam, that's one of the things I like about Third Eye. I am always prompted to have a new crack at an old artistic friend to take another gander at. (film, music, art etc.)

I went to the MoMA to see Amarcord this summer, to kill some time (2 hours) we went to the permanent collection galleries. There was such a crowd at Van Gogh's Starry Night, that no one saw that the portrait of his friend the postman was sitting in a corner all alone. I naturally spent some good time just marvelling at this amazing artist, free from the madding crowd, the way Vincent would have liked it I think.

censored-03
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
censored-03 wrote:
Is he the best, or what ?

sorry, my friend, but he doesn't even come close to several other artists, probably the foremost of which would be his forerunner frans hals (from whose technique van gogh borrows shamelessly).
bocce, you my friend have been staring at those stogey boxes too long ! Wink (Dutch Masters)

bocce
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ixnay on the DMs...

seriously, google up some hals images. this would have been stuff van gogh would have grown up on. you're an artist, look at the brush
strokes. they may not have the same impasto, but they're the same basic style just deeper cut with a palette knife.

the problem i have with van gogh is the cult of personality has overcome his work. perhaps the same is true of our guy.

maybe we try to analyze too much...fellini stands alone as a seminal force (to what degree who'll know) as did van gogh...
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
This was my fourth special film forum, and I found it to be the most enjoyable, mostly because of the quality of films I got to revisit or see for the first time. My esteem for Fellini has increased as a result of this forum. I always thought he was a great director and raconteur. Now I would place him next to Bunuel. I must add that Censored was a most gracious and patient moderator, and paced the forum just right. Thanks.
yambu
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Censored, the Arles woman with black hair was the one I was looking for, but I could not find her. Thanks.

Hah. I'm reading Reading Lolita in Tehran, and it's quoting from Lolita, when Humbert first arrives at Charlotte Haze's home: "The front hall was graced with door chimes, a white-eyed wooden thingamabob of commercial Mexican origin, and that banal darling of the arty miiddle class, van Gogh's Arlésienne."
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Yambu, spooked!!!
bocce
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
i'll agree with ghulam that this has been the best specialty forum since POLANSKI on the old site (altho NOIR wasn't bad)...

and i'll also second that censored has been the best moderator since marc on the aforementioned polanski thing. but i'll also agree with censored that participation was a little spotty...nothing from billy, precious little from marc and, remarkably, not a whole lot from the guy who suggested the topic (altho that's not a fault necessarily).

be that as it may, i'll give it a solid A (juuust kidding, censored) and suggest that we begin looking for a new topic while we're winding down.
if you look at the cumulative participation in all the specialty fora so far, it's actually pretty impressive. these are an integral part of what a film forum should be.

let's not have the same normal two month lag time before we select another. make suggestions now!!!
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
This forum was worth it for me just to see Roma, a film I had not seen before that I absolutely love now, and to meet otto e mezzo. I doubt we'll see more of him, and for that I am sorry, but he really illuminated a lot for me. I wish I had participated more, but I read every post and thank all of you, especially Ghulam and Censored, for bringing out important information about a director I did not sufficiently appreciate before.