Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Macca00
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
censored, thanks for the lowdown on Neil Young's Live8 set.
Marc, you obviously didn't see Pete Doherty at the London Live8 concert. He had all the demeanour & coherence of Shane MacGowan on a good day.
On the question of increased record sales for most of those acts at Live8, Dave Gilmour, to his credit, has suggested that the proceeds go to charity, Floyd setting an example for others to follow.
The final Live8 concert is drawing to a close in Edinburgh, Scotland, with James Brown as the "headline" act. Haven't heard much of it tonight, but it sounds good. Geldof & Bono addressed the crowd before the Godfather Of Soul took the stage.
Macca00
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
London mourns its dead, as do the rest of the U.K. Life goes on, it has to. This is not Britain's 9/11, if anything, it's more like the 1970s when London & other cities, including Liverpool, were affected by IRA attacks.
I know London well. I have friends there, one of whom is from a Muslim background.
I've spent countless hours on the phone & online today. Fortunately they're all OK. We mourn for those killed, yet there is also a feeling of defiance: do your worst but neither you, intoxicated by a perverted & distorted view of Islam, nor those amongst us who want to spread racist bullshit, will succeed.
London is an object lesson in how to live successfully in a multi-cultural, multi-racial city. That will continue.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that post, macca00.

There will always be an England!
Marc
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He had all the demeanour & coherence of Shane MacGowan on a good day.

Now thats entertainment!
censored-03
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Macca, I'm glad all of your friends are well, I spent some time on the phone last night and today as well. I have many friends in London. My friend Anthony Southhorn has been a good buddy since he roadied for us back in '78. He and all of his kids are fine. Ironically, one of my best friends from NYC flew to London yesterday morning with his British wife and their two babies, they are already in St. Albans, and fine. He is going to see Arthur Lee and Love but it has been postponed to next week. I know there is sadness over this latest bombing spree, but I like your's and England's attitude shown in the last couple days. Thanks from me as well for your spirited and right-on post.

Rod
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
From The Sydney Morning Herald:

Quote:
Peaches didn't pinch Pete
July 12, 2005 - 12:59PM

Poor old Pete Doherty. So lily-white and pure, he was in such a state of shock after having his bum pinched he was left incapable of performing. Or so he says.

Sir Bob Geldof's daughter has rubbished rocker Pete Doherty's claims that his dismal Live 8 performance was the fault of her squeezing his bum.

Doherty, now singing with Babyshambles after being ejected from The Libertines over his drug problems, appeared dazed and confused as he blundered through T-Rex's Children of the Revolution with Elton John in London's Hyde Park.

Doherty pointed the finger for his embarrassing rendition at 16-year-old Peaches Geldof.

"I wasn't lost for words and I wasn't out of it on drugs," Doherty told London's Daily Mirror from the Spanish island of Ibiza last week.

"Just before I went on stage, Peaches squeezed my bum hard and whispered something rather suggestive to me. It left me in such shock I didn't know where I was.

"Bob Geldof has organised this amazing global event, I was facing 210,000 people, the cameras were rolling, and f---ing Elton John is dueting with me. And Bob's daughter has secretly made a pass at me. It's all I can think about. It did my head in. I didn't think Bob would be very happy."

Now Peaches has slammed Doherty to the same newspaper, saying "I was standing with my dad and my boyfriend of two years at the time. It is ridiculous to say I would make a pass at Pete in front of them.

"And how could I whisper over the noise of the band?"

Doherty has admitted he went to the Live 8 gig on his own after yet another row with his supermodel girlfriend, Kate Moss.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
G'day,

Off to Sydney tomorrow from my sleepy little town in NSW. Friday night sees me going to the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House to see the Finn Brothers in one of their four concert residence this week. Tickets sold out for the Friday night show in less than two hours. Haven’t seen the siblings live since Crowded House’s ‘Farewell to the World’ concert in ’96 on the steps of the opera house with a couple of hundred thousand other fans. Crowded did I hear you ask? I’ve had sex that was less intimate! And special guests for this week’s shows is a little band from NY going by the name of Mercury Rev.

Saturday night is a little less elegant but going to see the Go-Betweens for the first time is no less exciting. They're playing at the Metro Theatre which is about a three minute walk from the hotel I'm staying at in the middle of Sydney's CBD. I hope to catch up with and enjoy both shows with a lot of other fans but I don’t expect to see Rod there on Saturday night. He’ll probably be off somewhere getting an enema.

Cheers,

AL
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
From USA Today.

nice Q&A with Mike McCreedy from Pearl Jam.

Quote:
Fourteen years and counting: Catching up with Pearl Jam

Last week, Pearl Jam was named the top American rock band by Pop Candy readers.
This week, the band's lead guitarist, Mike McCready, was kind enough to answer some of your questions via e-mail. See below to learn more about the group's new album, the hardest PJ tune to play and, perhaps most importantly, the name of McCready's favorite American rock band.

What can you tell the fans about the new album and the next tour in North America?Kasey Lawson, Murfreesboro, Tenn.

The new album is about halfway done. It sounds incredible. Ed (Vedder) is singing like I have never heard. He has raised the bar on all the songs. I think we all have pushed each other to make (dare I say) a really classic and rockin' album. There's no release date set for the record or the tour yet, but we hope to be out playing in the States next year.

Later on this year, you will be opening for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh. Can you tell us how that came about, and what kind of set list you guys are planning?Chris Mishler, Johnstown, Pa.

I believe someone called our manager and asked if we'd open, and we said sure. We'd done this once before, and it was an amazing experience. I am not sure about the set list yet, as we will decide that the day of the show, per our usual. We might play an hour ... I can't wait; the Stones are my favorite band!

How does Pearl Jam decide on the set list every night? I think a lot of Pearl Jam fans would say that half the fun of going to see your shows is the surprise of not knowing which songs you're going to pull out of your hats. — Lauri Mancinelli, Cambridge, Mass.

We like to keep the fans surprised, and we like to keep it fresh for ourselves, too. A lot of the times Ed will sit down an hour before the show and look over the previous night's set. We will add or subtract songs according to how we feel or what we think will feel right in that particular town. At some shows, the set list gets changed while we are on stage. I know Ed thinks about the set very hard throughout the day in order to make the best show possible for the fans and for us.

The signing of Pearl Jam to J Records seemed to go under the radar. Was there anything specific that swayed you guys from Epic and/or to J?Clint Brownlee, Seattle

I think our relationship with Epic had run its natural course, and it happened to coincide with the fulfillment of our contract. We decided not to resign with them. The opportunity to start a new relationship was exciting to us. We met with a lot of great labels, including J. We like Clive Davis and his staff a lot. There's a level of respect there that went both ways. The band felt great about what J could offer and the way they would allow for us to do our thing creatively. We already put a record at with J last year —Live at Benaroya Hall — so this next record will be our second with them.

After 14 years in one of the most well known and highly regarded rock bands in the world, how are you and your band members able to keep such a low profile? Your names never pop up in any magazines unless it is regarding your music. Is it difficult to maintain that anonymity?Trey Busch, Walla Walla, Wash.

Early on we decided to keep a lower profile all around to let the music speak for us. It was by design that we mostly used pictures that you could not necessarily see what was going on, and that didn't really focus in on the band, but instead focused in on a theme. This was done to maintain our anonymity a little bit so we could all live normal lives and keep our focus on music. There are some really cool video pieces out there, though — we have done some videos that I've really liked and we may do them again. At this point, because we have stayed the same course for so many years, I feel like we are freer to make choices that are motivated by what feels right creatively at a given point in time.

Mike, I'm 16 and have been listening to you since my dad first bought Ten. My question is that you said once that Corduroy was your least favorite Pearl Jam song, so what would be your favorite?Kyle Cunningham, Sarasota, Fla.

My favorite slow song is Nothing Man; it is dark but gives hope at the same time. My favorite rocker is Go because it is heavy and chaotic.

Would you please take just a minute to address your personal struggle with Crohn's disease, the strides that are being made in finding a cure and what each of us can do to help? Thanks for all you do.Matt Thompson, Oklahoma City

I have had Crohn's for about 19 years. It is a debilitating disease that affects my colon. I have lived most my life with chronic inflammation and constant pain with immediate diarrhea. Due to the symptoms, it's one of those topics that doesn't make the "dinner conversation" list and that a lot of people feel embarrassed to talk about. I started talking publicly about it because I didn't want people to have to suffer silently — it's disempowering.

More than two million men, women and children suffer from Crohn's disease and/or Ulcerative colitis. I am currently on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet along with medications such and Imuran and Colazal. The diet, I believe, is the only thing that has worked for me, though. People like you can help by contacting the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and finding out more about these diseases, or by donating money for research at www.ccfa.org. The CCFA helped me figure out that I was not alone with my disease anymore. Every time I make a new IBD connection I feel hopeful!

Mike, I've seen many of your shows from the states to Japan. What show is the one that stands out for the group as your best show ever?Willis Harold Bassett, Des Moines

I think the best show was the second night at the Key Arena in Seattle in 2000 (I think?). Whatever the date, the hometown crowd was incredible. It was also at the end of our tour, so we were firing on all cylinders.

What is the hardest Pearl Jam song to play?Bill Hayden, Cleveland

Definitely In Hiding. I am constantly watching Stone (Gossard)'s fingers. I try not to mess it up but usually do … There are many changes and notes to remember.

What do you think about the state or rock music? Is it in a lull, dying, or does hip-hop just have everyone fooled? What bands out there have what it takes to really put rock back on the map?Sean Fader, Phoenixville, Pa.

I think rock 'n' roll is still kicking with bands like Social Distortion, Death Cab for Cutie, Sleater-Kinney, Supersuckers, Queens of the Stone Age, The Killers, The Strokes and others. I believe it goes through cycles every 10 years or so.

I've read that you consider your playing spiritual. Can you elaborate on this a bit?Leslie Scott-Russell, Palmyra, N.Y.

I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul.

What do you think has contributed to the staying power of Pearl Jam?Melissa Parker, Anniston, Ala.

The fans. They have been with us through thick and thin. I am constantly amazed at their support over the years. I also think it's the fact that we kind of operate under the radar when it comes to non-musical aspects of our lives. We also take time to be away from each other to live our separate lives, which allows us to be excited when we come back together to play music.

I'd like to know how you managed to quit smoking while still hitting the studio and touring.Sharon Sherman, Toronto

I was running around on stage out of breath and I couldn't stand it anymore. I decided before an Australian tour that I had to quit. It wasn't working anymore. (It never was!) I read a book called Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking. It has been almost three years, and I am so glad I stopped.

Who do YOU feel is the greatest American rock band of all time? — Chris Lemanski, New Britain, Conn.

I think everyone in the band would answer this question pretty differently. But KISS inspired me personally to pick up a guitar and go for it. My life would have been different without Paul Stanley or Ace Frehley. They would have to be the greatest on my list as an influence to my life at 11 years old.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Oops... spelled Mike's name wrong.

It's: Mike McCready

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Didn't realize Pete had been booted from the Libertines.

Pete and Peaches.... man, that just sounds too cheesy for me.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ajbradfo wrote:
Crowded did I hear you ask? I’ve had sex that was less intimate!

Too funny...

Thanks for that, AL.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quite a few records on this list are 'must haves', including the last one on the list. Love em or hate em... Body Count made an impact. And the album is so fucking funny, anyone that took it serious needed to take a step back and evaluate themselves for being too serious.

http://www.earvolution.com/2005/07/twenty-most-underrated-rock-alblums.asp

ehle64
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
WTF is an alblum?

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't help to think of The Smiths "Panic" with news that the bombers were from Leeds:

From the Leeds side streets that you slip down
Or Provincial Towns, you jog around
Hang the Bombers, Hang the Bombers, Hang the Bombers. . .

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
WTF is an alblum?

Oh yeah.. good typo catch. I didn't even notice that one.