Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Directors Series - Federico Fellini

lady wakasa
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Ghulam wrote:
I wonder if Lady W remembers if such an episode exists in the book.

No... unfortunately, I can't remember enough of the book to do much of anything (although there may have been such a couple). I will read it again after I get through the other things currently waiting for me (like... The Machinist).
Rod
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Ghulam wrote:
created a scene presaging his own fate or it was an invention of Fellini is not clear. I wonder if Lady W remembers if such an episode exists in the book. BTW, Petronius was played in Quo Vadis by Leo Genn who was nominated for an Oscar for this role.

He damn well deserved it too; made that otherwise bloated monstrosity of an historical comic book worth watching.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if Lady W remembers if such an episode exists in the book

But I can answer the question: no.
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Joe. If Fellini et al wrote that episode in, I consider it to be a seamless enrichment.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
I think it's the best sequence in the movie. Maybe the one sequence that continues to hold up for me. I forget the details about how he got that nice pink shimmer on the sand outside. I've read a few books on the making of the movie, but that goes back some fifteen years.
Rod
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Okay, I still haven't finished Satyricon, but I've watched about two-thirds of it (um-hey). Yes it's weird, yes it's a glorious mess. But Fellini had an incredible capacity for describing the zen-like serenity that can come on you after a long chaotic, almost orgiastic period, and he communicates this in such beautifully quiet scenes as when Encolpio and his poet friend, who has narrowly escaped the oven at Trimalchio's oven, talk on the alien plain; the marriage of Encolio and the pirate after the wrestling; the blissful peace of the villa owner's suicide and Encolpio and his friend playing with the freed slave girl. It's this alternation of mood that is genius.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Satyricon seems to be Fellini's natural take on deconstruction-ism. It is in that sense post-modern film-making. He has the "hero(s)" being blown around helplessly by the world like a seed blowing in the wind. The protagonist is no longer in any way empowered to take control of his life, life is in control of him. This makes perfect sense for a film Federico would call an "ancient science fiction".

censored-03
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
ROMA~MONDAY !

ehle64
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:53 am Reply with quote
Coming from Criterion™ in August:

Quote:
In a series of simple and joyous vignettes, director Roberto Rossellini and co-writer Federico Fellini lovingly convey the universal teachings—of humility, compassion, faith, and sacrifice—of the People's Saint. Shot in a neorealist manner, with monks from the Nocere Inferiore monastery playing the roles of St. Francis and his disciples, The Flowers of St. Francis is a timeless and moving portrait of the search for spiritual enlightenment.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
ROMA~MONDAY !

The poster with the three breasted woman caused quite a stir at the Cannes film festival. "Roma" was not well received by the the Italians and was not a commercial success.

Pictures of Florence, Rome, and Venice now up!
Click on the Italian flag.
censored-03
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
otto, was the unpopularity of the film due to insulting events portrayed of Roman, Italians in the film or just a general down-slide in Federico's career?

otto e mezzo
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
otto, was the unpopularity of the film due to insulting events portrayed of Roman, Italians in the film or just a general down-slide in Federico's career?

The Romans didn't like it because they said that this is not us. The Catholic Church was not happy about it either.

Pictures of Florence, Rome, and Venice now up!
Click on the Italian flag.
Marilyn
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I finished Roma today. On the whole, I liked it. Fellini doesn't so much as tell a story in it as build up a multilayered impression of what Romans are--literally. At one point, we are taken into an excavation for a subway system, learn from the project manager that there are 8 strata that comprise the foundation of Rome, and actually pierce a 2,000-year-old layer containing a Roman home. This was an interesting, if not terribly dramatic film.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:19 am Reply with quote
otto e mezzo wrote:
. The Catholic Church was not happy about it either.

fellini is the classic lapsed catholic who finds it impossible to square the obvious materialism of the church with its spiritual underpinnings; its dogma with theology while still yearning for rapproachment and nostalgic for some elements of the liturgy.

the overriding methaphor of the "flying christ" in LA DOLCE VITA is one of transposition and displacement. there is the feeling that the church (symbolized by its founder) is being transported from its original and intended position via modern mechanics from place to place at man's whim: sort of a reverse transfiguration.

this is not fellini's first shot at the church. in keeping with the earlier mentioned tradition in boccaccio, fellini disquises the swindler in IL BIDONE as a priest. that is augusto's MO. he uses the image of the priesthood and by extension, the church, to fleece the peasants.

SPOILER...

but he saves his most scathing lampoon for ROMA. the liturgical fashion show is an incredible satiric barb

END SPOILER...

no doubt the catholic heirarchy would be up in arms about ROMA. but i'm quite sure they were suspicious of fellini pretty much from the jump.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I loved the fashion show for clerics.