Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Private Joker
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:27 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The campus is being overrun by 13-15 year old cheerleaders running in packs. We have a cheerleading camp and a dance camp simultaneously, about forty school's worth.

Kate wrote:
Deep breaths Syd, deep breaths.

I must have a very, very dirty mind. I hope Marc was also chuckling at this.

marantzo
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:32 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I know it is now a tradition that stands on its own merits, and I don't wish to denigrate American culture, but I'd be discomfitted by my daughter wanting to be a cheerleader. It's just not right.

My experience is a little different. Way back when the Dallas Cowboys were in one of the SuperBowls my kids were watching it. They were both football fans. My son was around 8 and my daughter 12. Their mother came into the room (we were divorced by this time) and saw the Dallas cheerleaders on the screen. Saying something like, "That's disgusting and sexist," she shut off the game and wouldn't let our kids watch it any more. My kids never forgot that. I have always found the Dallas cheerleader thing stupid, but harmless. Of course my ex never allowed my daughter to try out for the cheerleaders. My granddaughter has been a cheerleader for a number of years and my daughter is rather proud of her.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
ajbradfo is back! How are you doing, mate?

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
ajbradfo is back! How are you doing, mate?

Was he here before.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
On the old site. I forget his first name (Arthur?), but he was having troubles going through a divorce. I'm glad to see him back.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
[The idea is to convert taped music to MP3's (which then could be put on CD if desired).

There are still some tapes that haven't made the jump to CD or any other format. A good example is the band King, and 80's band that had a few hits ("Taste of Your Tears" was one, "Love and Pride" was another). I would love to have MP3s made of this and this cassette deck could help. Although I think this is for the person that has more than just a few tapes they can't find on CD and want to have them on their iPod/digital MP3 player.

And with various software out there to help remove the hiss and other tape limitations, it's possible to have a decent sounding MP3 file to listen to.

In fact, Raxio (who makes EZ CD Creator) has some tools for cleaning up LPs and making MP3s from them. I've used it a couple of times and while it's not perfect, it does do a pretty decent job.

lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
chillywilly wrote:
gromit wrote:
[The idea is to convert taped music to MP3's (which then could be put on CD if desired).

There are still some tapes that haven't made the jump to CD or any other format.

Actually, I have 40 albums and, since my turntable died about 5 years ago, I'll probably never hear them again. For Red Ryder (have I even thought of them in the past 20 years?), it's not an issue; but for the guy in my college class who was known as "That Guy Who Got Into Tokyo Imperial University" (and was heavily into new wave / experimental music) it's a bit of a bummer.

There is a fair amount of music that will never commercially make the jump to new media. For < 40 albums, though, I'm probably not going to invest in that little piece of hardware (especially since I'm more concerned about the VHS tapes).
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
Turntables are quite inexpensive. I still listen to and love my vinyl.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
I still have around 800 albums in storage.
Not all of that is essential, but alot of good jazz reissues and some hard to find stuff.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
I remember Red Ryder... that was a great band.

lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Lunatic Fringe was a pretty good song, but overall I don't think the album aged too well (from what I can remember %^}).
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
We still have used CD stores here in town that have a higher than normal demand for some cassettes, paying almost $10 for some tapes.

As for albums, my mother gets credit for getting rid of almost 400 while I was gone. I've gotten over the anguish, but I know there were some albums that I would have loved to keep around. Most I've got on CD now (remastered, reissued, etc.). But there's still the elusive ones that are not in any format but the LP or cassettes.

eBay has been a good place for getting out of print stuff.

Kate
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Hey Marantz!

You are gonna LOVE this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4696609

Boy am I glad I don't work for them.
McBain
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Chilly,

I love the headline for the stem-cell report. Yes, I think it's odd the pass is no longer all day. Plus, when I got there now, it often takes me immediately to the ad. I wonder if I'm tagged as a repeat "pass-getter"?

Just bookmark the location of the Salon cookie that tells the webserver "I've viewed the ad". It doesn't matter if you've actually viewed it, just that your browser has the cookie that says you have.

Bookmark this url (you'll probably have to copy it into a bookmark entry manually) and use it whenever you want to get into Salon without having to see full page ads:

http://www.salon.com/news/cookie.html

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Kate, I imagine your feeling bad for Merck is waning.

Thanks for the article. No evil empire there.

But there is the flip side. It must have cost them multi-millions of dollars in developing and marketing for that drug to kill 38,000 people. Not much of a return.