Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

dlhavard
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Three movies (the Richard Chamberlain was the worst) and two tv madefors (Patrick Swazye was in the most recent).
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Actually, they used a lot of footage shot for KSM in Trader Horn and a couple of other films.

I guess it's the old, "What goes around, comes around."
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

Quote:
But is it Stewart or Farley (the star of Strangers on a Train) that Joe thinks was the model for Bruce Wayne?

It's Farley Granger. If you look at the 50's comics, I think you can see a resemblance. By the way, the original face of Captain Marvel was definately modelled on Fred McMurray. And one more movie tie in. When they created the Green Lantern, they were going to call him "Alan Ladd," but an editor said, "No one will ever believe that name." This was shortly before This Gun For Hire came out and rocketed Alan Ladd to stardom.

I really shouldn't be happy to have all this stuff in my head...
Private Joker
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
Private Joker wrote:

And without further ado, keep your lights on.

FYI, the website has no longer exceeded its bandwidth, and this is viewable again.

Genius stuff.

gromit
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
I liked the sound effects.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
You all probably know this, but Submariner was Fred Astaire.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
"And I seem to find the happiness I seek.
When we're out together dancing sea to sea."
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
We tried to watch a Lon Chaney movie called The Ace of Hearts the other night. I found the overemoting, silly plot, and juvenile attitude toward love and sex to be too much.

Last night, we watched Camille (1921) with Alla Nazimova and Rudolph Valentino. I thought Nazimova was very beautiful and really quite good, but her ego nearly sunk the movie for me--she played her death scene without Armand (Valentino) in attendance. To replace the tragedy of the lovers parted at the very end, the script brought in three auctioneers who tagged her possessions for sale to pay her debts while she lay in bed helplessly. It was a bit unbelievable, but it offered a Dickensian touch to the proceedings that didn't seem out of place in this very Victorian story.

The sets of Paris were art nouveau in the extreme. I loved them! I want to live in Camille's apartment.

BTW, these films had new score thanks to the TCM contest for young composers. TCM ran them in tribute to the contest winners.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
I know it's a convention to write LOL, but when I read

Quote:
the script brought in three auctioneers who tagged her possessions for sale to pay her debts while she lay in bed helplessly

I really did. How horrible. Is the modern dress approach cool because of twenties fashions, or no?
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Not the fashions, really. Nazimova's costumes were the most out there, but I didn't think they were spectacular. The sets are real knockouts, though.

Interestingly, Nazimova was the big star when this film was in production. It has her name plastered all over it, with special treatment on the cast title card. But The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse came out before Camille was released, and Valentino became the big draw for this film after that. I thought they played very well together.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
I really liked the apartment set in Camille (done by Natacha Rambova). She apparently originally hated Valentino (because he was a "two-bit taxi dancer" or such), and I think it was Natacha who got her to give him a chance. (This was in either Nazimova's or Valentino's biography, and I'm just not remembering it completely.) It was a shame she cut him out of the ending.

Of the surviving Nazimova films, Salome probably has the best costumes / sets (and N, in her early 40s, really does pull off looking like a teen). That film almost starts approaching some of the German Expressionist and Russian Constructivist work that was going on.

I liked the music (from the competition) in Ace of Hearts, and feel if you give it a pass given when it was done, it's interesting enough. It was a bit of a thrill when they were dealing out the cards to see who would get tagged - and I always feel bad that Lon doesn't get the girl. (Well, except when he's being evil.)
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
BTW, does that mean that TCM is putting Camille on DVD? I got my version from Grapevine before the Great Closing, and although they put out a lot of otherwise unavailable stuff, they didn't have the funding to do major restoration work (i.e., my tape doesn't look very good).

BTW - one of the Young Composers winners recently committed suicide - very sad incident. (She had some health problems, although her family wasn't expecting this.)
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
I don't know about a DVD. Nothing was said on the program, and mine is a tape of the TCM night when they showed them.

So sorry to hear about the composer. Do you know her name and which film she scored?

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Layer Cake, a rather exceptional British gangster flick. Daniel Craig proves a capable leading man, Colm Meaney is always a joy to watch, the script is tight, the film is well directed and stylish without being overly so, and Sienna Miller is one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen. Good times. I'd recommend.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
Just looked it up. The composer was Linda Martinez and she suffered from bipolar disorder. She scored this:

The Rag Man (1925)
D: Edward F. Cline
CAST: Jackie Coogan, Max Davidson, Lydia Yeamans Titus.

In this silent film, a runaway orphan helps a junk dealer make his fortune. BW 68m.

PLAYING ON TCM: 06/19/2005 12:15 AM

I will definitely tune in. My grandfather was a rag man.