Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Trish
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Censored

Hmm - I wonder if the DVD of Fanny & Alexander had the extra Footage you speak of - I had other films to see - so I never checked out any of the extras and now its back at the Library.

I recently watched the Russian film Andre Rublev (an iconist painter fdromn the middle ages in Russia) - I guess it was originally majorly edited, shortened and suppressed at the time it came out (1966) - but this DVD had the director's cut (4 plus hours!!). I checked it out because some film critic had it on his greatest films list.

It had some very dramatic moments - especially towards the end - when there is raid on the village where Rublev lives - but oh my god there were long stretches when it was like watching paint dry and I had to fight to keep my attention - and I admit I fast forwarded a few times

Themes were religious, cultural persecution, fundamentalism and seem to focus more so the times vs. Rublev himself . Has anyone seen the film?
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Watched Dirty Pretty Things yesterday. Terribly sad living conditions for the immigrants/illegals in London. The movie, however, somewhat trivialized its subject matter by overlaying it with polemics and sentimentalizing its "good" guys. Still, strong performances by most of the principals made it worth a look.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
Saw the totally awesome Dirty War, (d. Eric Meyerson) a 2004 TV movie from Britain about a dirty bomb attack by Islamic terrorists on London. I don't have time to talk now, but if this comes up on your cable system, watch it!

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Marc wrote:
LADY,

THE MACHINIST will be released on DVD this coming Tuesday. One of the perks of owning a DVD store is getting new releases several days before the public at large.

Very cool! I'll put in a request at my Pretty Good Library to acquire it, just in case it's not on their list (they're pretty good about that, too).
censored-03
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Trish, I'm pretty sure the long version of F&A was on two discs, so you probably watched the theater only version, which is possibly better. It's a matter of opinion.

Rod
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Task Force

Mildly watchable but eminently forgettaver ordinary war film with Gary Cooper playing one of the first generation of Aircraft Carrier pilots who learns how to take off and land on a 65-foot deck of the USS Langley, and who has much peace-time trouble as an out-spoken advocate of naval aviation, and marries the widow of a guy who died in action (the dully chirpy Jane Wyatt). Then the usual roster of battle bits, Pearl Harbor, Midway, Okinawa, comprised of endlessly recycled documentary footage and bits from other movies (being the 1,234th film to filch from John Ford's December 7th) except with the novel twist of turning from b&w to color around the time of Okinawa to take advantage of some great color war footage including several breathtaking shots of a kamikaze attack. Walter Brennan has a rare non-antisocial part as the Admiral of the Fleet and such old stalwarts as Bruce Bennett, John Ridgely, and Wayne Morris fill out the cast and Cooper turns in one his professionally neutered performances of his later career.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
trish - I saw Andre Rublev in an art house here a couple of years ago - it was the four hour version - there was an intermission. I did find the story very interesting, and it never exactly dragged for me, but the animal violence just ...well it's completely horrifying. When the horse crashed down the stairs, I really wanted to walk out, but I was with a friend who seemed to not be as disturbed.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Tonight was terribly sad for me--the last Brazilian cinema class. I made some really weird Brazilian cookies made with mashed potatoes that everyone seemed to like well enough. I also made a thermos full of a lime juice, superfine sugar, and cachaca (Brazilian rum) that everyone liked even more. My treats were the perfect accompaniment to our last film, Awakening of the Beast, directed by José Mojica Marins, aka Coffin Joe.

This piece of folk art cinema used the set-up of several talking heads discussing theories of drug use and its link to sexual perversion as an excuse for a bit of soft core romping. The movie switches to LSD experiments on four drug addicts who are asked to direct their hallucinations to meditate on Zé do Caixão (Coffin Joe). The movie switches from B&W to color during the acid trips of each participant, with Coffin Joe as the star. Their hallucinations include sadomasochistic acts, bubbling potions of happiness, and women in underwear groveling at the feet of a macho man.

The movie has the gleeful abandon of the best of Bunuel mixed with B-movie effects and a director whose delusions of grandeur make Ed Wood look like the poster boy for sane ambition. Of course, Mojica Marins has his tongue planted firmly in his cheek even while he enlists the elite of Brazilian cinema (Glauber Rochas and Carlos Reichenbach) to defend him in a mock trial in which his artistry is put on trial. Of course, he is declared something of a genius.

This is a B-movie all the way, but definitely more enjoyable than other films of its type. It was a good way to say good-bye to a fine time with my fellow cineastes. I look forward to the next class, whatever it may be.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The girl I work with brought Kinsey to work tonight and we watched it. She wasn't expecting it to be as explicit as it was, although it's not erotic. It's probably not a good movie for a first date unless you really know your date. On the other hand, it's a very good movie with an excellent performance by Liam Neeson (who convincingly ages about twenty years in the course of the movie) and an even better one by Laura Linney. I find it interesting that Sexual Behavior in the Human Male seemed to get published and read fairly easily, but when the he did the same for women, the shit hit the fan. Better work's been done in the field since, but someone had to start it, and it had to be someone like Kinsey,

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Marilyn wrote:

The movie has the gleeful abandon of the best of Bunuel mixed with B-movie effects and a director whose delusions of grandeur make Ed Wood look like the poster boy for sane ambition. Of course, Mojica Marins has his tongue planted firmly in his cheek even while he enlists the elite of Brazilian cinema (Glauber Rochas and Carlos Reichenbach) to defend him in a mock trial in which his artistry is put on trial. Of course, he is declared something of a genius.

No, he's just an excruciating bullshit artist with a super-8 camera.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
By the way, I thought Laura Linney in Kinsey was better than Cate Blanchett, who won the Oscar. My only problem is that Linney could easily have been nominated in the lead category, like Jennifer Connelly should have been for A Beautiful Mind.

This also means I've seen all twenty performances that were nominated for acting Oscars last year, as well as the best picture and directing nominees. It wasn't a particularly painful experience, either.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Quote:
This also means I've seen all twenty performances that were nominated for acting Oscars last year, as well as the best picture and directing nominees. It wasn't a particularly painful experience, either.
You deserve some sort of special Third Eye Award for that Syd. Congrats on your cineaste accomplishments.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Marilyn,

Quote:
a director whose delusions of grandeur make Ed Wood look like the poster boy for sane ambition

This is up there with your Taming of the Shrew-in-leather suggestion as one of the funniest responses you've ever posted. IMO.
Private Joker
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
I have a confession to make. It's not that I get scared easily, and I do enjoy getting scared -- I mean, seeing a creepy horror flick like THE OTHERS or THE BROOD or CLOWNHOUSE is all well and good, and I will have a repeat viewing.

But no normal person should be frightened to the point of being speechless by an animated movie on the internet. And that just happened to me. Mike D'Angelo wrote a decent Esquire piece on J-horror a few months ago that discusses the reason why those films are scary, and it had something to do with the unpredictability and inexplicable insanity of the boundless material.

That exact element exists in its purest form in the following film I am about to link. I'm 30 years old, and I can say without hyperbole or guile that this is the scariest thing I've ever seen. I've been more scared plenty of times -- but those are times where something happened in the real world. But no *moving image* has ever truly chilled me the way this did.

What it is is a choose-your-own-adventure film where each ending is increasingly twisted and horrific. It takes a while to adjust, but just remember to let the whole film load first, then watch it. You click on one of the glowing objects, then something happens, then you are given another option. After a few of these choices, that portion of the film ends, and it goes back to the beginning, so you can make another choice and watch them all.

I was lucky enough to save the absolute most disturbing one for last.

Who would have known that I could be sitting here in a bright room at 11:20pm watching my computer screen and reach a level of fear that had my neck rigid, my arms loaded with goose bumps, and my throat nearly choking. When that finally died down, I noticed tears slowly leaking down my right eye. I think it was sort of like a 5-second literal paralysis. That was so weird.

Maybe nobody else will be this scared; maybe it just touched a nerve, so to speak. But I can't imagine any interested scholar of the moving image not compelled by this thing.

And without further ado, keep your lights on.

By the way, this isn't one of those stupid iMovies that has a loud noise to scare you. There is some sound here, so have the speakers at medium volume, but the audio level never changes. The terror here is far more complex.

Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was lucky enough to save the absolute most disturbing one for last.

is this the one that involves the little girl's eyes?