Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
BTW, the new White Stripes is, three weeks later, still just as brilliant. "Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)" and "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)" will make you cry. "The Denial Twist" and "Blue Orchid" will make you dance. The album as a whole will make you believe in God. It's my favorite of the year so far.

I know this will shock the living hell out of you, but this album is growing on me. I'm just finishing up a review of it and will post it out here, but for now, my favs are "Take, Take, Take" and "Instinct Blues"

zwirnm
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 46 Location: Washington, District of Columbia
Everyone here read Jon Pareles' amusingly unhinged (and replete with factual inaccuracies) rant against Coldplay? A band I never had much interest in, but it seems a stretch to make Coldplay and Chris Martin the exemplar of everything that is wrong with pop music today, including some possible projecting on Pareles' part about male insecurities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/arts/music/05pare.html?pagewanted=print
unohoo
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm gonna finally jump on the White Stripes bandwagon. My level of contempt for them has weakened with each release of their next single. What I initially thought was some sort of gimmick seems to have been the real deal and I was too busy gettin' crunk with the fam to even realize what pale ass Jack White was puttin' down. I'm glad I just saw the video today because it comes out tomorrow and I don't have to wait. I should just follow my wife's lead when it comes to rock bands, my ear for rock is too tainted by hip-hop for me even to consider a band. I'm still od'ing on that crack the Dip-Set is servin' so Jack White doesn't even register. But god bless good old MTV, 'cause I guess they showed the "Blue Orchid" video and wow that song smokes. I'm so geeked about it I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy "Elephant" too just so I really get my fanboy on and just overload on White Stripes for the next week or so.

Don't know if any of you's guys listen to urban radio (understandably a hard thing to do), but R.Kelly is killing the airwaves with his latest five part single/soap operetta. It's complete with cheatin' wives, husbands, down-low homosexuality, pistol packin' and cellular phones. The song is an R.Kelly jam by the #'s (which is in this case is actually a good thing), but the whole story he built behind it is totally ridiculous, but even in its stupidity he has the radio and listener's locked in waiting to listen to it. For the last couple of weeks they have been releasing each part in sequence and now they are starting to play the final part (pt. 5). It is genius in that not only has the pied piper truly captured the airwaves musically, but from a marketing standpoint the man has always been able to tap into the hood mentality and put it into music that can be both beautiful and completely retarded at the same time. The boy has done it again.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, as far as Meg White is concerned I think it is pretty safe to say that she sucks as a drummer. And I don't think that writer dude was saying the Stripes needed to sound like Lenny, he was just saying that if you're gonna have a chick drummer then at least have a good one. I can't say that she hampers the sound of the band, in fact I understand that her sloppiness is part of the appeal, but even though the dude is probably beating a dead horse the Stripes would be that much better with a better drummer and while you bullshittin' they would fucking stellar with a mediocre bass player.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
veryone here read Jon Pareles' amusingly unhinged (and replete with factual inaccuracies) rant against Coldplay?

Yeah, I linked it a few posts back. And yeah, it's a bit over-the-top, I think, especially considering Coldplay are such a harmless, inoffensive band.
shannon
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yuri, beware. "Blue Orchid" is definately not representative of Get Behind Me Satan as a whole. Nothing else on the record, besides "Instinct Blues", one of my least favorite tracks, actually "rocks" at all. It's one of two songs throughout the entire album to even feature electric guitar. I'd get Elephant if I were wanting more "Blue Orchid"-like songs. That record is fucking fierce.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Coldplay seem to be this week's whipping boys. I think it's partially because rock music is in the doldrums, and people are taking their frustration out on this week's rock 'n' roll saviours. It's a bit harsh, because it's a position they would never have claimed for themselves - it has been foist upon due to a paucity of options.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Macca00
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
Coldplay are the leading exponents of a style which has no redeeming or refreshing features. Along with Keane they do a good job of singing passionately about nothing worthwhile. Maudlin self indulgence is their sole selling point.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
Coldplay has been one of those bands that I really haven't liked or wanted to like.

With the increased interest my daughter has been taking in music this last year, Coldplay has emerged as one of her favorites (along with U2, which some of the new album X&Y sounds surprisinly similar to), this Brittish bandwidth favorite has been thrust onto me without much of a fight.

I decided to open up my mind a bit and see what this album had to offer, hoping that it would be much more listenable than the radio druge of "Yellow."

In the 13 songs that make up "X&Y", it became very obvious that this is not really a rock album, but more of a pop album that's trying to sell itself as a rock album.

The first single, "Speed of Sound" has a catchy tune and sounds a bit like their previous hit "Clocks", but with a faster tempo and more than just vocals and a piano. Other songs that you can't deny as being good are: "Fix You", "White Shadows" and "A Message", with the latter two being easily labeled as Bono-esque knockoffs.

Chris Martin and Co. try really hard on this new album to make Coldplay the saviour of the record industry in response to declining profits. I'm sure on new release Tuesday, this CD will move tons of units out the door. The massive amount of press, reviews and their well-timed availability of tickets for their "Twisted Logic" tour should be enough to wrestle away the $10-15 purchase price from eager fans.

But don't call me a Coldplay fan just yet. Just a bit more open minded about a band that's trying too hard to be a rock band in a pop world.

unohoo
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
shannon- Thanks for the warning but too late, I copped my copy at approximately 8:30 am from Tarzhay. I didn't even get to the second track on the way home since "Blue Orchid" starts the cd off. When I finally got home I finished watching "Aviator" and then started back in on "Get Behind Me...". Honestly I didn't really have any expectations, so even though I would have enjoyed songs more like "Blue Orchid", the absence of those types of songs did not stop me from enjoying the entire thing. I still need to listen to it a few more times before I have good enough grasp on it to be able to say how I really feel about it. Unfortunately Target didn't have "Elephant", I was jonesin' so hard for a 2nd disc I contemplated buying Coldplay's "X&Y".

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Download "Fix You" and you've got all the X&Y you really need. I did give the album another listen today and some of the non-ballads are kinda interesting. Too bad they only make up 1/4th of the album.

I should probably mention, given all of my anti-Coldplay posts, that I was a big fan of A Rush of Blood to the Head. X&Y just seems so calculated to me, like they were in the studio like "Hey, let's do Rush of Blood again, only this time BIGGER!" I'm sure it's partially my anticipation of the record plus all of the "this will be the greatest thing you've ever heard!" prerelease hype that's prohibiting my enjoyment, but I can't really help that.
Macca00
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
U.S. posters may have heard of the Elvis Costello spat at his gig in Norwich, England, which just happened to coincide with the European Cup Soccer Final in Istanbul, Turkey, involving his (& mine) Liverpool team against the Italian team, Milan.
All I can say is it's a Liverpudlian thing. Picture the Superbowl, but in a more partisan way.
This is a city which still bounces from that European sporting success.
McBain
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw The Dresden Dolls again tonight. If you've never heard them, check out their song "Coin-Operated Boy". It's hilarious and far and away my favorite of thier songs.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Just when I thought Liverpool was growing-up. I know it was a joke, but Bill Shankley was so wrong. The best thing Stevie Gerrard could do is get his arse down to London and take possession of his own life.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
unohoo
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
I think I'll wait a few more years before I buy my first Coldplay cd. I get the feeling that I would enjoy one of their cd's enough to purchase the entire thing, I normally just buy a single if it's a group I'm just totally not interested in.

I'm still diggin' this White Stripes cd. I like that "Instinct Blues" song a lot, I guess because it is one of the few songs that has some heavy guitar in it. I still can't get over "Blue Orchid" though, it's murder on the gas pedal, good thing the ride can only hit about 80 'cause otherwise I feel the need to endanger myself. Other songs I like a lot are "My Doorbell", "Take, Take, Take" and "As Ugly As I Seem". I haven't read anything about them, but I'm sure someone has pointed out that JW seems to be able to channel both Bobby and Jimmy quite convincgly. I love it.