Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The parents were hippies, I think. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

so why fucking mention it?
Rod
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
I got out The Day After Tomorrow tonight - er - and it's due back, er the day after...anyway, I hope it's watchable.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
The parents were hippies, I think. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

so why fucking mention it?

I thought it was obvious from the context, but okay: hippies are prone to drug use and undisciplined behavior and this may have trickled down to the children. Just a wild guess. And a huge duh. You must have extra time on your hands these days, or a backload of oversensitivity.
Rod
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
I gotta admit, I tremendously enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow. Solid old-style disaster movie plot with a good cast, a thankfully not-too-breathless tone, a decent dash of satiric wit, and genuinely impressive and even beautiful special effects. Roland Emmerich's best to date by a country mile.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
A long time ago I read about the Phoenix's upbringing and I couldn't help but think of Ned Flanders' beatnik parents talking to the counsellor about Ned (as a child) and saying, "We haven't tried anything and we are out of ideas."
censored-03
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Quote:
hippies are prone to drug use and undisciplined behavior
That's funny the ones I knew were busy building geodesic domes, printing anti-war pamphlets, farming organic fruits and vegetables, learning and practicing scales and rudiments on instruments for hours at a time (my old bands), reading multi-cultural spiritually expanding books, volunteering for organizations for racial equality; womans rights and ecology movements. Except for the occasional time out for a frisbee toss, bong hit or usually enlightening LSD trip they didn't have as much leisure time for being undisciplined as one might think...except in their wild sexual "experiments" ..(thank God ! Cool Twisted Evil)

P.S. With the numbers of hippies kids voting in the likes of George W. Bush, I would have to say most of them ultimately brought up their kids with too much of a traditional (Dr. Spock) upbringing.

Private Joker
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
I gotta admit, I tremendously enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow. Solid old-style disaster movie plot with a good cast, a thankfully not-too-breathless tone, a decent dash of satiric wit, and genuinely impressive and even beautiful special effects. Roland Emmerich's best to date by a country mile.

I agree. A pleasant surprise -- and some of the best special effects I've ever seen. The biggest crime of this year's Oscars was this movie not getting nominated for visual f/x.

Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
undisciplined behavior

thats a load of shit. As a hippie of longstanding, I have found hippies (at least the real ones) to be very disciplined. Meditation practices, yoga, vegetarianism, raising your own food, recycling, building your own home etc., all require discipline. I live in Taos, a hippie center, and the hippie community is involved with many of the practices and disciplines mentioned above. Questioning society and attempting implement positive change requires discipline. It takes more discipline to build a solar powered home and to "live off the grid" than it does to just tap into the local power company. My store recyles, which takes more discipline than merely throwing all the garbage into one bag. We also use recycled paper products which is harder to get and more expensive to buy. We also offer organic vegetables and meats in our cafe. It is not only more expensive to buy these products, it is also harder to obtain. It would be alot cheaper and easier to serve chemically treated crap. But, because we are disciplined in our approachg to honoring and protecting the environment, we make the extra effort and spend the extra cash.

Taking drugs, fucking, dancing, playing music, all require discipline - discipline being balance, moderation and focuus.
Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
focus.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Billy's just mixing up hippies with beatniks. When you get to be his age you have a tendency to confuse social movements.

The store where I buy my wild rice from started calling it organic wild rice (though there is no such thing as non-organic wild rice), and they started charging more. I was a bit pissed but I had to admire their chutzpah.

Marc if you want I'll bring some the next time i visit and you can have it as a special some day. FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY CANADIAN WILD RICE PREPARED BY CHEF GARIBALDI de MARANTZO.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched What the Bleep Do We Know? last night, which I'd recommend despite the rather amateurish and generic construction.

Like those educational films we watched in high school (and earlier), there is a fictional story covering a couple of days in a woman's life (Marlee Matlin) as she goes through certain struggles and these are related to the findings of science. There are a certain amout of been-there/seen-that visual images to suggest the beauty of life on this planet and the marvel of existence (lots of slow-mo shots involving people laughing or children playing and running through water in a fountain). These are intercut with comments from various real-life people, including the New Age charleton who claims to channel a guru called Ramtha (she was last heard of in the early 90's, telling people to buy up land near her ranch because the rest of the world was about to be destroyed). Typically misguided, Roger Ebert is quoted on the film's website claiming she was the only person in the movie who made perfect sense.

But there are also contributions from many quantum physisits, neurologists, anethesiologist, physicians (one man still earning his degree), as well as information on studies such as the effect of thoughts on water. These are fascinating, and pose different ways of looking at the universe, different ways of looking at who we are and who we can be. I loved this, and though I could accept some ideas , remain on the fence on other instances, and rejected others (sometimes this would happen with different ideas from the same person), I was always involved and really liked the excuse just to ponder these ideas about how reality is constructed, how the brain is constructed, and what we as human beings can be. I'm much more interested in looking up the physicists and looking at their work in depth.

This is a feel-good movie, ultimately, but one that accomplishes this by stretching your brain rather than shutting it down. I think it's worth seeing.
Marj
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Joe - Good Review. You've made me reconsider seeing this movie. Hope you'll send it on to Lorne.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

Thanks.

There's a lot of interesting stuff about alternative healing and also emotional addiction that is interesting. But I do think the viewer has to be careful.

To give you an example of how this movie has good qualities and bad, and the difficulty of knowing how to take what is being offered, keep in mind Jeffery Satinover, one of the experts, with an MD in psychiatry and MS in physics, a product (in part) of Yale, a William James lecturer at Harvard. He comes across as kind, open-minded, and interesting. He was one of my favorites. I looked him up. He supported Clarence Thomas at the time of his nomination to the Supreme Court. Okay by me. He's also one of the leading believers in "curing" homosexuality. Not so okay by me. Of course, you wouldn't know any of this by watching the movie, and how his concepts play into the ideological choices he's made are worth investigating.

So: I'm saying there are some fascinating ideas in this picture. I'm also saying they bear examining more deeply than the movie allows (to be fair, I'm sure the filmmakers would agree).
Rod
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
A little gem I watched last night: The World of Henry Orient, which I had often heard about but didn't expect exactly the type of movie I got. You've got two thirteen year old girls, Valerie and Gil, chasing nutty concert pianist Orient (Peter Sellers) around New York while he's busy trying to seduce first paranoidly frigid Stella (Paula Prentiss) and then Val's own not exactly kind and caring mother (Angela Lansbury). It threatened at first to be Disney-Hayley Mills cute but actually contained dashes of lyrical anarchy, screwball comedy, tart satire, and an aching undercurrent of familial pathos. It's the slightly hysterical edge to the girls' actions, and the explanations for it, that stop everything being too cartoonish, and the dark underneath comes flooding out with perfect timing. As bright and zesty as the film's young heroines are now, they're sitting on top of a Petulia or Igby Goes Down-junior emotional minefield surrounded by the super-rich and super-creepy. But the comic set-pieces are genuinely funny, like the avant-garde performance Orient gives during which orchestra members play checkers, and the film blithely enjoyable. Directed by George Roy Hill, always good at keeping serious material and comedy in dialetic balance, and fired up by a bunch of terrific performances, first and foremost of course being Sellers' title character, a right wanker whose accent swings between the damndest affected Euro brogue and his native Brooklynese; Prentiss doing one of her patented weirdoes; Lansbury doing one of her patented maternal bitches; Tom Bosley showing how he got cast as Mr C by playing a concerned papa; and two great mischievous jobs as the girls by Merrie Spaeth (now a Republican hitwoman, apparently) and Tippy Walker (now an art dealer whose long commentary on why she stopped acting can be found on the IMDB posts on this film).

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Tippy Walker (now an art dealer whose long commentary on why she stopped acting can be found on the IMDB posts on this film).

Rod--I looked at all the user comments on Orient and found nothing by Tippy Walker. Did they put her comments in another section?