Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Marilyn
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Maybe, but this is supposed to be a modern story. I can accept it in the context of the 50s and earlier, but not the 90s.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
I made my judgment as a woman. A movie with a line like that is not my cuppa.

This is insanely closed-minded. To make a snap dismissal about an entire 140 minute film based on three words of dialogue is outrageous. I could name three lousy words in any film that any of us like. If you said A CLOCKWORK ORANGE had the line "I've read the bible, Father" and I decided to dismiss it because Christian films "aren't my cuppa" then I would feel pretty foolish. (Something similar to that line is in CLOCKWORK).

Granted, "you complete me" is a bit more indicative of the film's genre (it's a romantic comedy), but reveals absolutely nothing of the film's true attitude, which is layered and mature and intelligent.

JERRY MAGUIRE is a fantastic film -- loaded with excellent supporting performances (I love the relationship between Cuba Gooding and Regina King), gorgeous Janusz Kaminski photography, hilarious dialogue ("I love black people!" "That's not why you went into football, is it. Is it! Is it?") and a stellar Cruise arc. To not see it, well that's your loss.

Marilyn
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Guess so. So many movies, so little time.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Private Joker wrote:
Marilyn wrote:
I made my judgment as a woman. A movie with a line like that is not my cuppa.

This is insanely closed-minded. To make a snap dismissal about an entire 140 minute film based on three words of dialogue is outrageous. I could name three lousy words in any film that any of us like. If you said A CLOCKWORK ORANGE had the line "I've read the bible, Father" and I decided to dismiss it because Christian films "aren't my cuppa" then I would feel pretty foolish. (Something similar to that line is in CLOCKWORK).

Granted, "you complete me" is a bit more indicative of the film's genre (it's a romantic comedy), but reveals absolutely nothing of the film's true attitude, which is layered and mature and intelligent.

JERRY MAGUIRE is a fantastic film -- loaded with excellent supporting performances (I love the relationship between Cuba Gooding and Regina King), gorgeous Janusz Kaminski photography, hilarious dialogue ("I love black people!" "That's not why you went into football, is it. Is it! Is it?") and a stellar Cruise arc. To not see it, well that's your loss.

For one of the few times in movie discussion history on this forum, I agree with you 100%, joker. And to say that makes me smile. Smile

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn,

I guarantee that within five minutes you know exactly what's going to happen over the course of the entire 140. So why waste your time?

Also, Joker's argument is faulty. You aren't dismissing the movie based on an insigificant line or a misunderstanding of the intent. It isn't as if "You complete me" is meant as a sarcasm and you misread it as a heartfelt sentiment.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The last time Joker told me I was insane for not wanting to see a movie, it created an enmity between us that lasted for years. That is NOT going to happen again. I still reserve the right to pick movies any old arbitrary way I want. It's my time and money.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Also, Joker's argument is faulty. You aren't dismissing the movie based on an insigificant line or a misunderstanding of the intent. It isn't as if "You complete me" is meant as a sarcasm and you misread it as a heartfelt sentiment.

Actually, I think Marilyn's basis of dismissing the movie from a line that bothers her is exactly what joker's rebutal is about.

That line most likely comes across as cheesy to her and pointless to hear, almost as if you would never expect any real person to say that line out in the real world.

From another point of view, it's a line in the movie that captures and summarizes the chemistry that was building between Crusie and Zellweger. That whole ending conversation was catamount to how things were played out the previous 120 mins.

Marilyn
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Chilly, you are probably right. I actually did see some of the movie on TV somewhere. Not very grabby for me. Nonetheless, I reject the idea of people completing other people. It's a romantically dangerous idea that too many bubbleheads (mainly women) are going to be looking for in their relationships now.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
It's also a running gag between the couple, since they first over"heard" the "you complete me" line from the deaf people in the elevator. When Cruise says it to Zellweger, he is quoting a deaf person, not inventing his own words.

Marilyn
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Was one hearing and the other deaf? That would make practical sense.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
The last time Joker told me I was insane for not wanting to see a movie, it created an enmity between us that lasted for years. That is NOT going to happen again. I still reserve the right to pick movies any old arbitrary way I want. It's my time and money.

I can respect that. And I don't have an issue with that just like I don't have an issue with joker and I not agreeing on Mr. Alda and English Patient.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Private Joker wrote:
It's also a running gag between the couple, since they first over"heard" the "you complete me" line from the deaf people in the elevator. When Cruise says it to Zellweger, he is quoting a deaf person, not inventing his own words.

Yes.. that's right... Thanks for mentioning that part.

Private Joker
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Was one hearing and the other deaf? That would make practical sense.

Actually, I don't know. I'm not sure this is explained. Cruise and Zellweger are in an elevator and see a couple signing to each other. Zellweger knows sign language so she translates for Cruise. As far as I remember, there's no evidence whether one of them is hearing or not.

Anyway, since the line is just a quote from an earlier throwaway scene in the film, it's not meant to be the total sum of the film's theories on relationships. If you've seen SAY ANYTHING or ALMOST FAMOUS, you know Crowe's attitude towards romance anyway, and it is complicated and mature. (And if it matters you, maybe it's significant that it's Cruise who finally admits that Zellweger completes him, not the other way around -- it's not saying women need a man to complete them; it's saying an arrogant man good at friendships and bad with love has found someone strong enough to meet Cruise in the middle and give him a reason not to fall back on his athlete best friends in times of woe.)

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Chilly, you are probably right. I actually did see some of the movie on TV somewhere. Not very grabby for me. Nonetheless, I reject the idea of people completing other people. It's a romantically dangerous idea that too many bubbleheads (mainly women) are going to be looking for in their relationships now.

I agree. As much as I love that line and that whole movie, it's a line that I would never say to anyone in the real world.

I like the movie mostly for it's wonderful writing, screenplay, the chemistry and the pure fact it was directed by Cameron Crowe.

Counting the days until Elizabethtown comes out.

Marj
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Chilly wrote:
Quote:
That line most likely comes across as cheesy to her and pointless to hear, almost as if you would never expect any real person to say that line out in the real world.

Oh, you'd be surprised at how often I've heard some woman say that, or something close to it. And it is such an old fashioned way of thinking, IMO. If memory serves I cringed when I heard it in the movie. And I've heard worse! I actually remember a man who said to me, "You and I could make beautiful music together." I told him to catch up on his movie lines. He didn't get it.

Not to presume and not to push anyone to see a movie they don't want to see, I think Joker's point was that this movie had more to it than just the love interest. It really is a fun film and one of the few flms I felt Cruise was perfect for. In fact, even though it's been some time since I've seen it, I thought the love interest was the weakest part of the movie. It was just a little too cute for my taste. But the rest of the movie is certainly worth it.