Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The Blanche Awards 2005

yambu
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Disagree. Humor is the great disarmer. Last week Rummy was in front of the Euro powers, begging for their support. Someone asked him a barbed question about his go it alone attitude. "That's the old Rumsfield", and the room laughed and applauded. I still hope the guy gets run over by an Abrams tank, but you get my point.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I think it more savvy P.R. than masochism. Self-ridicule softens detractors, which leads to more money, which buys many berries. Susan Lucci understood this during her long Emmy-loser streak.

I saw Monster's Ball, and don't remember much of it. I didn't see Catwoman, and can't erase the trailer from my mind.

Oh, my goodness. Has Blancheland become The Lobby?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Born Into Brothels

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
earl, are you serious?
Trish
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
I think it more savvy P.R. than masochism. Self-ridicule softens detractors, which leads to more money, which buys many berries. Susan Lucci understood this during her long Emmy-loser streak.

You have a good point, it was great PR, but still took some guts - Of course it's a little easier to poke fun at yourself when you've already landed an oscar...
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
If I were nominated for a Razzie, I'd show up pretending to act all gracious, and then I'd go completely nuclear and start punching people and screaming at them, "How many movies were you in last year, dickhead?" What? WHAT? None? That's what I thought, bitch! Now get out on that street corner and make me some money."

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
If I were nominated for a Razzie, I'd show up pretending to act all gracious, and then I'd go completely nuclear and start punching people and screaming at them, "How many movies were you in last year, dickhead?" What? WHAT? None? That's what I thought, bitch! Now get out on that street corner and make me some money."

I would expect nothing less from you, Tim.

And I'd hope that would garner the most TiVO'd moment.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
You guys are all wrong about Halle Berry and the Razzies. She was stupid to go in front of a bunch of people who basically gave her the finger and ask for more. I mean, please, how masochistic can she be? If Catwoman is that bad (I haven't seen it), then she should just leave it in the cinematic dustbin where it belongs and pick better projects next time.

As much as we'd all love to forget a bad movie gone worse, I think her speech at the Razzies was not only class, showing that she could laugh at herself, but also to bring attention to other actors and agents to think about being in better movies for the future.

I mean, every great actor has made their share of crap. But Halle's speech really showed that someone was really human and not that full of themselves to take the high road and give a speech for a low brow award.

Earl
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
earl, are you serious?

Yeah, I am. Tim got it right when he said the Razzie people are dickheads. Why humor them?

chillywilly wrote:
But Halle's speech really showed that someone was really human and not that full of themselves to take the high road and give a speech for a low brow award.

The last word there is where our opinions diverge. The Razzie is not an award. It's an insult.

But perhaps this is, as was noted earlier, a conversation better suited for The Lobby. The Blanches discussion seems to have run its course.