Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The Blanche Awards 2005

Marilyn
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
It's not, Gromit. It's a marketing event. We are consumers to the Academy and fashion folks, not people.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The best way to enjoy the Oscar show is to first accept it for what it is, a glitzy, self-promoting extravaganza where movie makers reward their own for merit as well as reasons other than merit. While you are watching the show, read a book or knit a sweater at the same time.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
marilyn: Thankee, and yes, there is life after Phoebe Wallingford, er, Emily Norton Kane, um, Ruth Warrick Crying or Very sad . Whether there's life after Binaca, er, Bianca Montgomery and Maggie Stone, well, that remains to be seen.

lady w.:: Aren't you dear. I didn't say how she sings too Razz That she totally outsang He Whose Name I Dare Not Utter For Fear of Melting Like The Nazis in Raiders, doesn't really say much -- that number was purest treacle, as opposed to the Lloyd Webbed ditty, which was foulest truffle, and I don't mean the chocolate kind -- because even my darling Furrbawl could outsing J--- G---- (can't afford to have my head melt, too many bills), and frequently does.

I do, however, have less tongue in my jowl when I reiterate that she looked like a bazillion. Even with a cruller on top of her head, like Lady Thiang of the Buffet Table, or sump'n. The French dress was sorta cute, too, and has Beyoncey got the arm-sing thing down, or what?

But, really, it's ALWAYS about the hair.

And the money.

And, for mareviewer's bouncing baby gonzo journalist, about the affectionate ridicule. There wasn't much room for ridicule this year, and that's just not right.Wink

Meanwhile, Racso rehashes continued today with a big LAT picture, of, why, Beeyonsay, and Mary J. Blige (who sings, too, wonderfully), and Gwen Stefani looking like a longlost Edie Falco link.
No comment on the photos of Queen Elizabeth of Hollywood rolling into Elton John's bash, except I'm glad that Ms. Taylor can still roll in late to something and completely suck the oxygen out of the place. More power to her, seriously. Star, star, star.

Update: The upper balconies at the Kodak loved Chris's riff on Jude Law, the orchestra seats did not, at all. Though the ratings were down 5 percent overall from last year, the two occurrences are, I think, entirely unrrelated.

Just like the Jeff Gannon Journalism School and the Jim Guckert Modeling Agency.

At least, at the Blanche Awards, it's all about the love. Also, the booze.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
What ghulam said.

It's a hollow shell of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of an artistic celebration, but, as I've said before and often it's our hollow shell of a sham. etc., dagnabbit.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Correction: There wasn't as much room for ridicule this year. Too fast a pace, and it still came in at three-plus hours.

And that brings it full circle.

inla out.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of awards shows, did I miss the winners of the Razzies?

lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Apparently not only did Halle Berry show up at the Razzies, she gave a much more eloquent speech than she did at the Oscars: http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,1427782,00.html
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
lady_w...

Thanks so much for that link. That pretty damn funny...

my favorite was this line from Ms. Berry:

Quote:
---- (referring to the movie "Catwoman") ----
"I want to thank Warner Brothers for casting me in this piece of shit," she continued, "I'd like to thank the rest of the cast - to give a really bad performance like mine you need to have really bad actors," before hauling her agent on stage and warning "next time read the script first". Berry then left the stage to euphoric cheers and a standing ovation.

Trish
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I think its so fantastic Halle showed such class and wit to show up to accept her razzi - I saw a clip of it and wow my respect for her (not that it was particularly low before) just leaped up a good 50% - nothing is more attractive and appealing than a great sense of humor - especially when you can laugh at yourself
Nancy
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I should have said this before....

Lorne and Marilyn, great job on the Blanches! Thanks!

Isaacism, 2009
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Halle's appearance at the Razies more than made up for her overwraught speech at the Oscars. I love it when someone whom you think is a jerk proves you wrong. And I, (as opposed to many) think that she deserved the best actress award.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Halle's appearance at the Razies more than made up for her overwraught speech at the Oscars.

I swear that on first glance I thought this said "overnight speech at the Oscars," which is exactly how long it felt at the time.

Laughing

Yeah, her acceptance of her Razzy was pretty darned clazzy.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
inla you could have corrected my spelling of overwrought while you were at it.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
i liked "overwraught" better.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
You guys are all wrong about Halle Berry and the Razzies. She was stupid to go in front of a bunch of people who basically gave her the finger and ask for more. I mean, please, how masochistic can she be? If Catwoman is that bad (I haven't seen it), then she should just leave it in the cinematic dustbin where it belongs and pick better projects next time.