Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Jynx
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
shannon - my room mate and I would sing girls ... aren't home right now on our answering machine, which came from that album.

Nobody knew it was TBB.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
Having heard the album three times through already, I can that the only track that really stands out is "Slither." The rest just kinda runs together. No choruses, no hooks, just plenty of Weiland doing his boring, fake-tough, Core singing voice and using a lot of extraneous profanity.
....... That discrepancy is a gone with Velvet Revolver and we're left with generic "down n' dirty" and it just ain't fun.

Wow... I can think or more swearing on previous STP albums (ie. Purple. Tiny Music..) than on the debut VR release. And I've heard the album at least 20 times in the last week.... maybe I'm missing the profanilty for the music.

Anyway, I do agree that Core was pretty grungy and that he found his real voice on later albums. But I have to disagree on him trying too hard with VR. I think his being clean has really helped him expand his voice and his overall talent. And that's coming from a long time STP fan (pre-Core days in South Calif.) His heorin-twinged days were the ultimate demise of STP and the lack of using his talent in trade for a line of smack caused a lot of their tour dates to have Weiland to be simply a physical figure on stage, lacking the earlier days of all-out performer. A sad thing to watch if you've seen them live several times over the course of their career.

Not that reviews are the ultimate "end all" for a band's talent measuring, but I've yet to see a bad review of Contraband. It's the most anticipated album of the year and one that I've been waiting over a year for.

As for Audioslave, I love Cornell's voice and the Rage background, but I think Chris sounded so much better in Soundgarden.

And while we are on the subject of mixed bands and sounding better, the new Van Halen song "It's About Time" should have been called "It's Not About Talent", where Sammy's voice is still great, but EVH pretty much sucks ass. The sloppy guitar work in this song just blew me out of the water on Friday, when I heard it for the first time. I had anticipated the new songs for some time now, and as I listened, I couldn't believe they would release this fucked up garbage. How sad for Sammy to have to sing to washed up Eddie's mutilation of the 6 string. There is a grunge-metal band that plays 7 blocks from my house and their guitarist is so much cleaner..... maybe this is Eddie's way of saying "Slash is the best there is now that I'm washed up." Anyway, that's my take.

shannon
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of a single time Weiland has ever used the word "fuck" on record, except for maybe Core, which I haven't heard since I was 15. On Contraband, I've counted at least 20 different instances. Not that I mind the word "fuck," but it's just so apparent Weiland is trying to step into Axl's bad boy shoes by cursing a whole lot that it kinda irks me, especially since Weiland was such a captivating personality in STP for me.

No time, gotta run, but I'll talk more about this later.
Jynx
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people say fuck in their songs ... Greenday, Maroon 5, Kid Rock

Why in the fuck would anyone want to 'be' Axl?

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Again, nothing is inherently wrong with saying "fuck" a whole buncha times in a song unless it is indicative of the artist trying to be something that he's not, which in the case of the Velvet Revolver, it clearly is.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
I can't think of a single time Weiland has ever used the word "fuck" on record, except for maybe Core, which I haven't heard since I was 15. On Contraband, I've counted at least 20 different instances. Not that I mind the word "fuck," but it's just so apparent Weiland is trying to step into Axl's bad boy shoes by cursing a whole lot that it kinda irks me, especially since Weiland was such a captivating personality in STP for me.

The two that come to mind are: Purple, which has the song Lounge Fly and Shangri La Dee Da with the song Dumb Love, but now that i've scanned the VR lyrics, there is more "fucks" than I realized... more than I'd "heard" before. But regardless, Weiland has his own shoes.... I don't see him trying to fill Axl's shoes... (i'll hold off on my Axl comment).

I look at VR like this... GnR was then... and so was STP. Other than songs that have styles that have a GnR or an STP feel to them, VR is a new band and different from either previous bands (sorry Dave, but I've not caught any Suicidal Tend. styles in VR yet... that could be a good thing, even though I liked ST)

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=23&u=/nm/20040607/music_nm/leisure_velvet_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The bad boys of rock are back -- sober, older and wiser, but still hoping to turn the music world on its head.

Guns N' Roses ruled the 80s with a mixture of punk and glam rock, while Stone Temple Pilots were one of the top grunge bands of the 90s. Both crumbled under an avalanche of alcohol and drug abuse, but now individual members have recovered and merged to bring back rebellious rock anthems as Velvet Revolver.

The supergroup emerged when Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan (news) and drummer Matt Sorum co-opted Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland (news) and Wasted Youth guitarist Dave Kushner.

"Guns N' Roses just got so big and we were so young and didn't know any of the pitfalls, both on the physical level and on an ego level," McKagan said in an interview. "Scott has seen it too with Stone Temple Pilots, so I think we all come better armed for this thing."

The group already has a radio hit with "Slither," the first single off their album "Contraband" set for release by RCA on June 8. And they are wrapping up a U.S. theater tour feeling invigorated and ready to make a dent in today's heavy metal scene.

(more at link)

This was a major news story feature on Yahoo's main page. Even though some of the article is so-so, it's cool to see their name in lights.

Marc
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
pj harvey is on letterman tonight!
juepucta
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
weeeeeeelllll

SHAAAZAAAMMM AN' ABBBRAAA CADDAAABRAH!
censored-03
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Glad to hear Creed and Phish broke up...watery bands at best.

Creed over-everythinged. Total rock schmaltz...like what a rock band would have been like is Lawrence Welk lead one. The only band Creed was better than was Hooty and the Blow-me Fish. I mention this last band because bands like Creed think that is the level of spirituality and cleverness one should strive for as a musical artist..BZZZZZZZZ...WRONG ANSWER!

Speaking of fish out of water...Phish was the single most lucky band in the history of rock...what with hundreds of thousands of pseudo-hippy day job Dead-Heads out on a limb really after Jerry's bad health and subsequent death this un-ready band from Vermont somehow jumped on the bandwagon and lucked out with this crowd. They were adequate at best.

Where is the songwriting these days. I have my favorites and they are cool...maybe about 20 acts the rest just suck when it comes to writing a decent melody and chord progression.

Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:27 am Reply with quote
censored,

I agree with everything you just fucking said.

The Ramones are looking more and more like the musical geniuses of the end of the 20th century.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
manchesternews

Monday, 7th June 2004
'Bush should have died, not Reagan': Morrissey

MANCHESTER music legend Morrissey sparked controversy when he announced Ronald Reagan's death live on stage during a concert - and then declared he wished it was George Bush who had died instead.

Thousands of fans at Dublin Castle, in Ireland, cheered when the ex-Smiths frontman made the announcement that the former American president, who had battled with Alzheimer's Disease, had passed away.

And an even bigger cheer followed when Morrissey - who is no stranger to controversy - then said he wished it had been the current President, George W Bush, who had died.

Fan Tony Murray said: "He commented about the death of Ronald Reagan and when he wished that it was George W instead the crowd went wild."
censored-03
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:35 am Reply with quote
Granted it may have seemed that a former ambitious Navy man and peanut farmer who made it to President might have been over his head in the Beltway's approach to politics as usual (meaning white rich snobs) but. Jimmy Carter was at the front of no national malaise so often given to him and his people as if the cocaine and disco drentched mid-late 70's and Ivy League old boy network weren't at the front of the over-commercialized, over-amped, over-coprporate, and over armed country that was due for a let down. Hardly a Washington outsiders fault.

The under-utilized youth movement that had stalled due to it's prophet's murders in the late 60's turned inward and personal (can anyone say EST ? ...and I don't mean Eastern Standard Time) where younger people were still trying to rally new concepts ( ecology, womens rights and new sexual experimentation, new musical styles and literature and applied arts, architecture, education et al) that were flourishing at this time...so it was hardly a malaise as the supposed "left wing media" had dubbed it, but more a rebuilding and replentishing period, that was frankly looking for a leader to take over and push the new decade of the 80's into a peaceful, prosperous, modern and yes enlightened period.

Instead we got the malaise alright in the name of Ronald Wilson Reagan.

censored-03
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:43 am Reply with quote
Sorry for all the typos and bad spelling but...

pepperseed
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 4 Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Robert Quine - RIP