Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Jynx
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:46 pm Reply with quote
You shouldn't stifle yourself for fear of offending other forumites, God knows it doesn't stop me, right Marantz?

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote
One may question the timing, but everything in Greg Palast's column is true.
Marj
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Pammylammy,

Your wording on the death of Reagan proves to me why you're a writer. Do keep writing while wearing your rings.

I mean it!
shannon
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Any new reviews will generate a little hand icon next to the topic, which is exactly what happens with all new posts in all topics. It has nothing to do with anyone's username.

Actually, Lshap, there is no hand icon next to the Reviews topic due to the lock icon, so there is no way to see if there's a new post or not, especially since every post is posted by you, so we can't look at the "last post written by..." field.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Shane,

Did he actually stick with the "no benefits to Vietnam vets" policy? How was that resolved. I can't believe those soldiers aren't getting benefits, but I don't know the story there. Again, I appreciate the info.

Tire,

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
A locked forum will have a colored lock if there is a new post in it. If not, the lock will be gray (at least in subSilver)

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks marj - I write, shower, clean and run my fingers through the boy toys hair with them on. I'm not a believer, but I swear they give me my grandma's strength. She was the strongest woman I have ever known.

Two plain silver bands. His on my right middle finger, hers on my left thumb. She was 5'8" and weighed in at about 200 lbs. He was 4'9" (which is, in a family of 6'4"'s and 5'8"'s, gave me my stellar 5'2" frame) and weighed maybe 110 lbs. soaking wet. They shared one set of false teeth and would reduce me to peeing in my pants giggles when they would do their "let's share an apple" routine. He loved the night, she loved the day ... but they were necking until they were 82 and she split his head open with her cane b/c of the disease that robbed her of her memory of the greatest love affair Akron, OH has ever seen.

He took his own life the day he knew she was safely in an Alzheimer's home and would not be turned away due to financial or health reasons. Her disease advanced quickly, but many institutions would not take her b/c of her violent tendencies. I remember sitting with him, feeding him spoonfuls of coffee with SIX SUGARS! And applying salve to his ravaged mouth, from breathing 100% pure oxygen, and reading to him from Redbook (his favorite). He was dying of emphysima and I, oddly enough, went out to have a cigarette. When I returned ... he was clutching the pamphlet to her new 'home' and had taken his oxygen mask off ... suffocating himself. The only thing he had on -- sans hospital gown -- was his silver wedding band.

I wish every one of you could have met them.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the person, I wish for no one to sufer under the hand of Alzheimer's. My great aunt, who just turned 94, has had this for the past 11 years. Her health is in perfect condition... heart works great, never smoked, goes for a daily walk (that has curtailed a lot in the last 4 years), but doesn't remember a damn soul anymore... let alone, anything she eats or tasks she performs. So it's sad when I visit once every two years and the stories she used to tell are no more.

I'm sure Reagans family went through the same thing, but at the same time, it doesn't excuse the fact that he was the worst president we've had in the last 100 or so years (our current Oaf in Office is in the Smarty Jones Belmont position). For me, when a president puts our country in danger AND doesn't take responsbility for it AND then passes the buck to others, that puts them in the running for Worst President Yet.

I don't have to go into the many times he put this country in extreme danger, not to mention the many years he put this country's economy in the shitter. Let alone, lying under oath WHILE risking the lives of each citizen.

So while I feel bad he suffered, he should be getting more attention from those involved with fighting Alzheimer's then being honored for his "great work", of which there is very little to applaud.

That's my speak on the subject.

Jynx
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
And said very, very well.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Shannon -- I signed in under a different username to confirm there is a hand icon for new posts next to the Film Review topic. As Marilyn said, the icon may be different depending on the background style you choose, but the fact that the topic's locked doesn't prevent you from seeing it.
Marc
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quote
this from jbottle on the NY Times forum:

Quote:
the ranks fled to mostly not talk about film (and even use the occasion of Ronald Reagan's death as an opportunity to bash his political record) on another site.

jbottle continues to bash this site at the NY Times forum while begging Lorne and I for admittance here.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Marc - I think there's a 12-step program for weaning yourself away from old message boards. You need to enroll--now.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn I've done it too, but in my last email my spellcheck caught me. It's 'enrol'.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quote
"Enroll" is the preferred spelling in Merriam-Webster's. "Enrol" is a secondary spelling.

Honestly, I haven't been back to the old site other than to pick up stragglers at the Buffy forum.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I received this e-mail from jbottle:

Quote:
If I'm admitted to the forum, you know that I'm not going to edit myself anymore than I expect you do (it would be pretty sorry if you did). I have no intention to flame the site and would get canned anyway if I did, I imagine. I have the support of mcbain, shannon, jeremy, and others, and I doubt you care much about banning me either

While jbottle continues to express his disdain for Third Eye in the NY Times film forum, he is petitioning for admittance here. I've also received similar e-mails from oilcan.