Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Befade
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen Kitchen Stories? I'm off to see it this afternoon. Sounds fun to me. Two Norwegian bachelors, one in the kitchen, the other observing him scientifically from a high chair (a study of kitchen habits).

When I have more time I'll write about Dogville and My Architect.
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Betsy
I heard a review of that kitchen movie just the other day. The reviewer raved about it. He said it was very funny and he loved it.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Befade, in my view My Architect (2003) is a great movie. The central character, Louis Kahn, is very interesting and complex, his life was very eventful, sometimes glorious, often messy, and his son's devotion to him which brought this movie about and which elicited the needed cooperation from relatives and colleagues of Kahn in the making of this movie, is remarkable. An inspiring documentary.
Marc
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
My favorite film of 2004, so far, OLD BOY just won the 2004 Cannes Film Festival Grand Prize. Yes!
Marc
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
"Supersize Me is a movie that I have as much interest in seeing as I have for picking up Madonna's Swept Away."

I screend SUPER SIZE ME to a sold out audience (325) and they were howling with laughter. It got a great ovation at the end. Its hilarious, scary and vitally important. Kids have to see this movie.
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it was a hit at the festival, but the subject matter just turns me off.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This from the guy starting the Atkins diet.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
First of all brownie it's not the Adkins Diet. It's a diet that was originally called The Canadian Airforce Diet and it has been around since the 60's. Secondly it does not allow for eating french fries or buns or non diet soft drinks etc. It's also a diet I have used to lose weight for over 30 years and I've never suffered any ill effects. And the last extensive study they did on low carbohydrate diets found that it doesn't increase your bad colesterol and actually increases the amount of the good colesterol in your system.

And what has that to do with the eating that goes on in Supersize Me?
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
"First of all brownie it's not the Adkins Diet. It's a diet that was originally called The Canadian Airforce Diet and it has been around since the 60's."

Right. The Sixties. When our health and fitness knowledge was sooo much more extensive than it is now. This is the decade that brought us sucking down raw eggs and the healthful benefits of smoking.

"Secondly it does not allow for eating french fries or buns..."

Neither does Atkins. The whole premise of Atkins is to drastically reduce your intake of carbohydrates, the body's primary source for energy, and use your secondary energy source, fat, for the body's fuel for activity. Hence, you force the body to burn its storage of bodyfat. French fries or buns are constituted of almost entirely simple carbohydrates.

"It's also a diet I have used to lose weight for over 30 years and I've never suffered any ill effects."

Excellent! If it works or you, great!

"And the last extensive study they did on low carbohydrate diets found that it doesn't increase your bad colesterol and actually increases the amount of the good colesterol in your system."

Perhaps. but it's effects in contributing to the onset of cancer, digestive problems, severe ketosis, and the debilitating effects on the body's metabolism aren't real good, either. I've trained people who were trying Atkins.

Everyone of them refused to listen to reason, and then came back to me 6 weeks later demanding to know why they hadn't lost any week sine they lost their first 10 in the first two weeks. In two cases, I didn't see the clients for almost two months, and when they came back they hadf gained back all of the weight plus more, quit Atkins, and quit working out in furstration. Atkins sucks; it's a diet for people who refuse to lead an active lifestyle.

"And what has that to do with the eating that goes on in Supersize Me?"

I just find it interesting that a guy who's starting a new diet, and has made mention of it previously, has also loudly provlaimed how absolutely uininterested he is in a film essentially about nutrition.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
marantzo
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
I just find it interesting that a guy who's starting a new diet, and has made mention of it previously, has also loudly provlaimed how absolutely uininterested he is in a film essentially about nutrition.

Tim listen to me carefully. It's not a new diet it's a diet that I've used for over thirty years. And I have no interest in your anecdotal evidence about pound lose or lack of same. Or the possible side effects etc. You are not a credible source. You are not objective. You have an opinion, as you have with many things and your mind is closed to any evidence to the contrary. I don't care, but that has nothing to do with me not wanting to see a movie about a guy going on a McDonald's crash diet,

And you have nothing to teach me about nutrition. I've been around the block a few times and I've seen nutritional theories come and go and come again. I've read about it and been friends with doctors and nutritionists most of my adult life.

If you don't think that my choice of diet, whatever, is corrct. Fine. I don't care. But to think that my not wanting to see this movie is somehow ignorant on my part or depriving me of a lesson that I am ignoring, is just stupid.
Kate
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
I saw Van Helsing with my 8 year old son tonight. I know no one cares about the movie, and frankly, I did not want to see it myself, but I enjoyed it because I watched it through his eyes. I want to write more on why, but need to gather my thoughts. I know that most of you don't care, but it is interesting how seeing a film with a kid can alter your perception of it.
Nancy
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
Kate --
I'm interested in hearing what you thought of Van Helsing. The people I know who have seen it really liked it. I haven't seen it yet, but will probably go next week.

Isaacism, 2009
Kate
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:31 am Reply with quote
Nancy,

You know, I liked it as the fluff that it was, and it was fluff. Jackman took the part too seriously and could have had much more fun with it. Beckinwhatever is harmless, but the fun lies in the vampiresses (sp?). I really enjoyed the imagery of those gals flying around.

If you go, know that you need to check your bullshit detector at the door.

Kate
Nancy
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:43 am Reply with quote
Kate --

I'm feeling the need for fluff at the moment, so it may actually appeal to me. (Unlike The Matrix, which I had expected to like, but I really, really didn't -- haven't bothered to see its sequels.) It probably depends on the mood I am in at the time.

Isaacism, 2009
Kate
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:52 am Reply with quote
Nancy,

I had fun, but I think that had to do with watching my kid have SO much fun, he was scared - thrilled- and sad all the same. It struck me 'cause so many films I thought were GREAT as a kid, really weren't, but that is OK 'cause I did learn that no matter what, I loved to GO to movies.

Ciao,

must sleep.