Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  East of Eden

marantzo
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Mitty, that sounds like the guy. Aron had dark hair in the movie.

Quote:
Truthfully if I could, it could be fun.

Marj, you are too kind. I'd make sure it was fun even if I had to behave myself.
Marj
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Gary, I know this is late, but for what it's worth, I actually do believe you.
mitty
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
mitty wrote:
[quote="mitty" Marj what I'd like to know is what is your take on Cal burning the money, and Lee's reaction to it? And why do you think Adam considered himself so pure that he could not profit from Cal's little business deal? Or did he?

If you mean the above, in other words, why do you think Cal burned the money, and was Lee's reaction suitable. Plus for what reason do you consider that Adam rejected the money? Was it because he considered himself "above" such "dirty" money?[/quote]

Marj? I posted this a few days ago, I suppose it got lost, but what about it? I'd be interested in your views on the above.
Marj
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Mitty, do you happen to have some page nos? I'd like to reread this. And I would like to give you at least a semi intelligent reply.
mitty
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Marj

Cal starts giving Adam the money on the bottom of page 539, and takes it back by p.542. The burning takes place on P.565, but the scene begins on the previous page and goes thru, well actually thru p.569 to get the full import. Smile
Marj
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Mitty,

I don't know if you have kids or not, but can you imagine how you might feel if a child of yours gave you a gift of money? And then imagine that the money came from some kind of questionable deal?

My first reaction to being given money as a gift, would be to insulted. But had it come from a child, I would be worried. Very. And I think Adam expressed that. And then he did try to soften the blow.

I remember that this scene in the movie was a amazing. Much better than in the book. Dean surprised Raymond Massey, who was hardly what you might call "Method." He hugged him and cryed and all Massey could do was push him away. But here you really feel Cal's desire to get his father's love. And his abject humilation when he's rejected. The scene was raw, fierce and almost embaressing.

It's there in the book but not nearly as powerfully. Nonetheless, it is scenes like this that make me agree with Syd. Cal is the most tortured character and also the most complex. He is riddled with guilt, jealousy and desire. And he encompasses every emotion Steinbeck wanted to explore. He is the most human of all the characters and ya gotta love him for it.

As far as burning it? I think it was totally in character. How about you?
mitty
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Marj

Regarding the burning of $15,000.00, all I can say is yes, it was totally in character. He was a spoiled brat that had not wanted for anything material in his short spoiled life. If he thought the money was so dirty, which I think was only in their minds, money has no characteristics. Only the people that own it have that. Anyway, if he thought the money was so dirty, he could have anonymously donated it to something or someone that actually needed it. That would have been a noble and mature course.

Poor baby, daddy has rejected my gift. I think I'll burn it...........please, its enough to puke a buzzard. That poor me stuff does not go down too well with me. Rolling Eyes
Marj
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
So I see! Laughing
yambu
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
So what's next?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Steinbeck, Cal, Adam, Lee, Aron, Cathy, James Dean, Raymond Massey, Julie Harris, Beryl Ives, and Elia Kazan are all dead. East of Eden RIP.

Where do we go from here?

Marj, wonderful job. No one could have done it better.
Marj
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ah, Thanks Gary.

What's next? I suggest we retire to the bookshelf and discuss it. That is, if no has anything more to add?

And if not, I'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in this discussion. Everyone contributed immensely to making this a lively, interesting and even controversial discussion. This has been the hardest book we've discussed so far. But you made it appear easy. And I'd like to thank Melody, for even though she couldn't stay with us, she did start us off with a bang!

Applause! Applause!
marantzo
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
My hostess here is a big reader. She had, of all things, East of Eden. She was going tho start reading it and wanted to know what I thought about it. I told her that I wouldn't say because I didn't want to influence what she thought about it. So she started to read it. She got about 5 pages in and gave up. I then told her that I almost hated it.
mitty
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Gary Then your perseverance is to be all the more admired! Cool
yambu
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Good one, Mit. This Canadian loon is obviously on a mission to pursue this book wherever and whenever he is.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
ROTFALOL