Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

dlhavard
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I'm going to talk about last night's LOST. Those who hate spoilers BEWARE!

First off - WOW. This show keeps getting better and better.

Second - BUMMER. Probably no new shows until after the first of the year. For those who haven't seen it yet, they are "encoring" all the previous shows starting with the first. (I hate winter RERUNS!)

Now for the SPOILERS.

I wonder at Jack's altrusim about telling the board about his father. Was it to keep the father from doing surgery again OR was it to get back at his dad?

I'm now more interested than ever in Hurley. (I see him as a reclusive Brain, maybe a nerd.) I'm curious about his statement "I was a hero once." Also interested in the kid. Two fathers? And one of them possibly like Locke, who the kid identifies with more than his own father.

And the brother/sister. I see them as fighting for the mother's (think Martha Stewart) affections. The sibling rivialry says it all.

And now we have ANOTHER Secret!

Most poignant moment: Charlie saying "they didn't want ME."
Hostile 17
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Hurley: is a great character...I read in Entertainment Weekly a few weeks back that they wrote him into the script when the actor (don't know his name) read for the show.

Locke: I think he's a good guy. Probably not interested in being rescued, as someone previously noted, but I don't think he has malicious intentions. He helped Charlie with his addiction, pays attention to the kid and generally tries to look out for most of the other characters. Why do you think the kid's father distrusts him? I can't remember any real reason to dislike Locke right from the start...except for maybe the creepy suitcase of knives.
Lacey
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Haiku, I’m so glad you’re enjoying Firefly. I watched the short-lived series the first time via Netflix and loved it. I got the series as a b-day present this summer and found the second (and even third) viewings even better (listen to the commentaries, especially the ones with Joss). Like BtVS you catch more the more you watch.

The opening date for the movie, Serenity, was changed from April 22 to September something. There is an official Serenity Web site (www.serenitymovie.com) where both Nathan Fillion (Capt. Mal) and Joss have posted wonderful blogs.

Loved last night’s Lost ep! DL you’re right this show does keep getting better and better. On the promo for re-airing the pilot the market the idea of going back to see what you missed the first time—not a bad idea.

Hostile 17. I agree with you. I don’t think Locke has malicious intentions. He may not want to be rescued himself, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want the others rescued. I find Locke intriguing b/c he seems to understand more about the island then we do at this point.

SPOILER
The scene with Charlie dead almost had me. The only thing that made me think they wouldn’t kill him off was who the actor is, then I thought “what if he’s signed on to do another movie and this is the end of his contract …” Great scene.

Laughed out loud at the red shirt reference, b/c I remembered the discussion here after the episode where the girl drowns.
mitty
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
dl
I just watched Lost tonight, I'd taped it last night. I don't think Jack was trying to get back at his father. It seemed to me that he had been covering for dad for awhile. Not in as serious situation as that, but in lesser matters perhaps. He was reluctantly going to cover this time, but when he saw his father "comforting" the widower, he seemed to see for the first time the hypocracy of the man. And when in the meeting he found out that the woman was pregnant...he was shocked. At that point he decided that it was just too much to cover any more. IMO.

Kate is becoming more and more interesting. Now she says her father was in the military, and taught her to some extent to track....verra interesting. Is that true, or is there another explanation? I like Hurley, he is a neato guy.

Do y'all think the father is jealous of Locke? The boy thinks hes tops, and mentioned his "other" father. Was that his step-dad? What happened to the other father? Didn't the mom die, and that was why he was picking up the kid?

I'd like to see more of the Korean couple.
dlhavard
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Good points everybody. I'm beginning to think Locke as bad guy was a red herring. Though I'd still like to know what he saw when he looked up. Rolling Eyes
And how he was given the ability to walk (though maybe striking the ground did something to his spine (don't know exactly WHY he couldn't walk).

Been thinking about the "metal thing". Maybe it's a bunker (like from WWII). Maybe the whole island is honeycombed with them. I remember reading that the Japanese did that to several islands. And maybe this one was one of those that was the U.S. dropped testing bombs on (like Enawetak). So maybe the animals (and hidden humans) mutated?

More conjecture................
Lacey
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:42 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember Lock having a prosthetic leg. Does anyone else remember that? As for the father and son piece, I don’t think they’ve spent much time together, so he’s trying to take on the father role with a kid he barely knows and that influences how he reacts to the people interacting with his kid. I agree that Jack’s turning in his father seemed like a last straw type moment.
Haiku
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quick Firefly question: Does anyone know whether the Chinese (or what seems Chinese to me) used by the characters in Firefly for curses, expletives and other exclamations is authentic and means what I guess they're saying?

Why do they speak Chinese anyway? Maybe I haven't gotten to that yet.

Am through the episode Waste - great stuff.
mitty
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Lacey In Locke's backstory, they showed him in a wheelchair, the same one that they showed in the first episode on the beach by the plane. Locke had gone to Australia to go on some sort of Marathon/Iron Man race/tour. The creators of that tour would not let him go because of being in the chair. They said he could not stand up to it. No pun intended! That is really to me the most amazing thing on the island, Locke's not needing the chair. It even surprised him in the beginning.

Thats a good idea about the metal stuff. But wern't the metal things the Japanese buried.................bombs? You know there were bunkers too. I remember hearing about at least one Japanese soldier that was still on one of those islands 30 or so years after the war ended. Maybe Lost will go down that road.
Lacey
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Haiku, they are Chinese slang and curses, and they are authentic (I think it's Mandarin --sp?). The history is that the remaining superpowers are America and China, and then eventually the Alliance is formed. One of the ways Joss shows this integration of cultures is that even the most uneducated, backwater person knows some Chinese like it’s second nature. You also see a lot of east meets west marriage of costume and set choices. You’ll notice later that the computer voice on Serenity speaks in Chinese and English. I think Joss addresses this in the commentary for the pilot. Also, on the last disc there’s a making of segment and the Chinese is addressed there.

Mitty, I remember most of Locke’s backstory, I think in that episode they show him in his chair with a prosthetic leg. Of course I could be confusing it with something else I’ve seen recently.
Haiku
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Lacey,
thanks very much for the explanation. I had noticed the costumes, writing, etc., but I didn't know why. You know, I don't think my Netflix DVD had the commentary option for the pilot. Maybe on the last disk.

It's great that everyone knows Mandarin and particularly that they use it for colourful expletives. I guess the FCC can't get it's pants in a bunch if it's not in English.

I am really looking forward to finding out what the preacher is all about. He must have a hell of a story.
Lacey
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The commentary is kind of weird to get to. I think you have to go to the languages option for each episode, and only some of the episodes have commentary. In the making of segment the actors mention how cool it was that they could say certain things w/out getting in trouble.

Unfortunately with the series ending when it did you end up w/ more questions then answers about these characters. I'm hoping the movie will tie up a few of the lingering mysteries. Forunately the mysteries make it more fun. As a writer i imagine you will love coming up with theories about the characters and their back stories. If you get to listen to the commentary Joss says something about Inara that raises lots of mystery.
V. fun.
lotang
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching the last episode of Lost and also am bummed that we'll have to wait weeks to catch a new one. That year round option is now starting to look better and better like what they're going to do with 24 and I think Tru Calling. No waiting.

I like Locke a lot and don't think he's malicious at all. I found the scary thing where he said that whatever he knew about tracking and hunting, Ethan was better. Something about that is really freaky given what we've seen of what Locke knows.

And I think you may be right about the island being honeycombed with tunnels because I was just thinking about the French Woman and I got the impression that the place where she was holding Sayid was underground. I say that because when he heard that animal(?) cry and asked what it was he looked up at the ceiling rather than out the walls. Okay, maybe I'm stretching here but that's part of the fun, right?

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote
haiku - that was my Firefly obsession - what is up with the preacher??? I'm going to spoil you and tell you....I think it is wait for the movie time. major bummer.

I am going to have to catch up with Lost later...so I am studiously avoiding the spoilers. I talked my roommate into Smallville and it seems hypocritical to steer him elsewhere now that he's hooked.
Earl
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Re Lost

What kind of a sicko freak am I for thinking that it would have made for a better episode (and show) if Charlie had died? OK, now that I got that off my chest...

It was still a pretty cool episode. It seemed as if Jack's turning point in his flasback scenes came when he discovered the woman in the ER was pregnant. Those scenes helped explain his almost unreasonable decision join the search party for Claire instead of returning to camp as Locke had advised. Locke didn't want to lose the only doctor on the island while Jack didn't want to lose another mother and child.

I found Lost somewhat late in the game so, unlike most of you, I'm looking forward to the reruns of those early episodes.
lotang
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote
Maybe watching the old episodes of Lost will be akin to the Buffy experience where you get more and more of the subtle details that you might have missed the first time.