Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Actually, it started with Xerxes saying "toodles" when he left for the day. Ehle picked it up as "Current Toodles," and the rest, as they say, is history.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
We watched The Night They Raided Minsky's tonight, first time for both of us. It's a fun movie, great to see Bert Lahr in a later film. Britt Ekland was perfection as the Amish gal gone burlesque. A fable with a lot of moxie.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Marilyn. Toodles!
yambu
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
No, the way ehle, and only ehle, uses it is as a synonym for films. So he talks about "current toodles." It is his expression exclusively, for now.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Marilyn wrote:
We watched The Night They Raided Minsky's tonight, first time for both of us. It's a fun movie, great to see Bert Lahr in a later film. Britt Ekland was perfection as the Amish gal gone burlesque. A fable with a lot of moxie.

Marilyn, my wife "the expert" knows a couple in a neighboring building, he is 97, she is 94. When they were young they met and befriended Billy Minsky while staying at one of the early resorts in the Catskill Mountains. One day Minsky was parading around the swimming pool with a statuesque scantily clad beauty, "the real cat's meow". The buzz around the hotel was that the buxom young thing was one of Minsky's Burlesque queens, after all he was practically the inventor of the strip-tease. When the "floozy" opened her mouth to speak, low and behold she had the most refined and intelligent way of talking. It turned out she just happened to be a very voluptuous, good looking professor of English Lit at one of NYC's finest and prestigious Universities ! Goes to show you never know and you can't judge a dame by her drag !

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
I believe it was related to something xerxes said once, in his laughably self-serious way.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
OH good grief, xerk-off said "toodles" many more times than once.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:51 am Reply with quote
Great story, Billy.

Minsky's is not the kind of movie people of today would seek out. It is very stagy, basically a recreation of the old Minsky burlesque shows. As a theatre person, I loved it, but it may be too conventional for younger viewers who might be looking for the exciting pyrotechnics of a Moulin Rouge! (which I also love, but for different reasons). Norman Wisdom, Jeremy, was a revelation to me. Superb.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:06 am Reply with quote
I mean, great story, Censored. I'm not quite awake today.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I was reading up on Minsky's. I had not realized that Bert Lahr was supposed to have a much bigger part in the film, but he died during filming. Large swaths of the film had to be reshot to accommodate the script changes.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
This is so cool. Comes out next Tuesday:

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
is anybody else a fan of Don ("Bubba Ho Tep") Coscarelli's PHANTASM movies? I think they are really amusing genre bending B movies. they steal from everything and add their own ridiculous contribution to create an inane sprawling myth. can this not be one of the most underappreciated franchise going?

a big CGI heavy part 5 is in order (to say nothing of getting parts 2 and 3 on DVD)--if any series could benefit from a hundred million dollars worth of CGI, its this one. taken as whole the series is like something out of Fulci by way of The Matrix, The Dark Tower, Star Wars, Dazed and Confused and John Carpenter at his campiest three stooginest worst.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The Saddest Music in the World is (to me) unwatchable. A working definition of "precious."
merlot
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't get Maddin's films, billy. I don't know if you like any of his other films, but I'm glad to have some company in this.

M.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
merlot wrote:
I don't get Maddin's films, billy. I don't know if you like any of his other films, but I'm glad to have some company in this.

M.

Never saw any other of his films. If this is a good example--and judging from the adoring press, it is--then I'm probably over him.