Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

mitty
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
SPOILER ALERT FOR LOST (kind of)

OK. The guy threatened to kill one of the two (in the preview), you know it won't be the girl. Maybe they need her and not particularly the baby. Maybe they have a baby that needs to nurse. Milk. The guy had a strange more than desperate look about him. As you noted above, how do civilizations develop...........maybe the others are more like
Lord of the Flies.

Do we know for sure there is a whole 'nother tribe? I don't remember anything like that. I don't think I missed an ep.
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Sahid said that there were "others". So I'm assuming more than 1 person (or 2 if you count crazy Delores). Sides, why would Ethan want the baby? Maybe the girl (but if it were me I'd grab the sister). Wink And why Charlie? (Hit Charlie, grab girl).
mitty
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The very fact that he did not actually harm Charlie in any way is indicitive of the fact he is not a bad guy. But the doc, et als don't know that, so Charlie can be used as a pawn. But I don't think will come to any harm. The guy (Ethan?) looked scared, and not used to any type of violence. So being violent made him even more nervous. So that in itself makes the situation dangerous. He may do something by accident.

I must have missed the reference to "others". How was that? Confused
mitty
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I suppose there are many reasons for wanting the pregnant girl (name?), milk for another baby whose mother is dead, or some that are pretty gruesome........hope it does not go in that direction.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Her character's name is Claire. Was I the only one that thought that the actress playing her did a phenomenal job last night?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Too right! Marvelous actress.
Lacey
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought she was wonderful.

Also I think the crazy French lady mentioned others on the island that were other than the people she was originally stranded with. But, it was set up in such a way that the viewer was supposed to question whether the others she talked about were real or in her head.
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Just had a sudden thought about Claire/babydear - two words Rosemary's Baby!

The psychic seemed very afraid. Afraid enough to get rid of both Claire and baby!

Whatdoyouthink? Twisted Evil
Lacey
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought he was afraid of the baby too, but he also seemed afraid for the baby.
Earl
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Re Lost:

I got the impression that the psychic's specific fear was that someone other than Claire would raise the baby. What I'm wondering is did he send her on that flight thinking she would be one of the ones who died or survived? Perhaps he saw only the crash and didn't know there would be survivors. Is it possible that he believed getting rid of both her and the baby would preclude some greater evil? (There I go again!)

Excellent observations here today about the characters on the show having to form a rudimentary society. When one of the female characters was told about the attack on Claire she made a heavily sarcastic remark along the lines of, "Great! Let's all move to the rape caves!". I couldn't help at that moment thinking of the caves as the island's equivalent of an urban inner city, which some suburban dwellers view (sometimes fairly, often unfairly) as being riddled with crime.

I like Hurley - both the way he's written and how the actor plays him. He has a knack, which belies his easygoing manner, for cutting through the bullshit and getting to the heart of the situation. While others are, quite necessarily, employing tunnel vision, he's seeing the bigger picture and thinking a few moves ahead.

Consider the rather direct approach he took with Sawyer about getting the flight manifest, which was handled without incident. ("Dude, you could use the points.") Or his recognition of the need for a census - the idea that, since they are going to be stuck there for a while, it would be better if they know more about one another. (That goes back to the "what makes a society" theme.) There was also his inspired idea to make a golf course for them to enjoy. He realized that people need to have fun once in a while, that if they spend every waking moment working only on those things that ensure our basic survival - food, water and shelter - they eventually burn out.

Will this lead to someone creating an arts and cultural center on the island? (I wonder this only half-jokingly.) Maybe a few of them will form a troupe and put on shows. And since we all know that the inner city is where most arts scenes thrive, the plays would probably be done in the caves. I suggest "The Grotto" as the name of the theater.
dlhavard
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote
Hurley's turning out to be one of my favorites too. I rather enjoyed one character's comment when Hurley was doing his census about "homeland security". Wink

About the psychic. I think he only "knew" that the baby would be in danger if it didn't stay with Claire. And that if he sent her off on a plane that the baby somehow the baby would be safer. The "Rosemary's baby" remark was concerning what it might turn into if it didn't stay with Claire. Which makes me wonder why the other tribe wanted the baby. (I'm thinking "tribe" rather than just one as why would just one person be so secretive about being a castaway (Ethan)). If it was just one person, they would be running up to the "newbies" saying - boy am I glad to see you I'vebeenhere-blank-numberofyearsletmeshowyouthecavesandstayawayfrombigfoot.
Lacey
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:16 am Reply with quote
Earl, great observation about Hurley. He really is the more perceptive member of the group. I had forgotten about the golf course, but he was the only one to recognize that the citizens needed some sort of stress release. I imagine music (Charlie has a guitar) and storytelling would be easy forms of entertainment to enjoy in their situation—the grotto, very nice.

Dl. Think you were right on with the Rosemary’s Baby remark. The psychic said something to the effect of danger surrounding the child. I was under the impression that if she didn’t raise the kid he/she would grow up to be a danger. But I also got the impression that the kid had a sporting chance of being normal if Claire did raise it, which is why he seemed concerned for the kid.

I too think there are others.
Haiku
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm waaay late on this, but I just started watching Firefly and I'm hooked!! Anxiously waiting for the rest of the DVDs to come...

I love the Captain's pragmatism. He's almost Rand-ish, but with more conscience. Well, I won't list why I like each character, but suffices to say that JW has done it again. Oh, and cute theme song (but it does remind me of OMWF).
Nancy
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Haiku---

Glad to hear you are enjoying Firefly! A friend gave me the DVD set for Christmas last year, and it's really been great. I particularly liked seeing the unaired episodes. Can't wait for the movie!

Isaacism, 2009
dlhavard
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I think I read on the SCIFI wire that they moved the movie (Firefly) from May to September next year. That's actually a better time than May as May is when all the blockbusters come out and it probably would be lost in the shuffle. In September, not much comes out which means Firefly would do well thus insuring ANOTHER Firefly! (One can only hope.)

LOST tonight - tv guide says that it's about Jack so we get more Jack flashbacks. Maybe we'll find out about all those tatoos!!