Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quote
I eat my brocolli with lots of butter. Which is almost devoid of carbs. So are many cheeses. I've been on my diet for one day and I haven't broken it yet.
chris563
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
There is a new (Dec04) Spin article that pretty well makes the case IMO that Elliott Smith killed himself. New info in the article = by the time he was doing heroin then crack in LA in 2001, he was also on liberal mixtures of 7 different categories of prescription drugs. When he decided to get clean and got off street drugs and drinking in 03 he moved down to 5 rxs or like a dozen odd pills per day. then he got it into his head where he was going to quit everything. in the months before his suicide he apparently also manically quit smoking, caffeine, sugar, and then all at once all the rest of his rxs.

anybody knows that with these crazy modern psychoactive pharmecutecals the WORST most DANGEROUS thing you can do is take that many of them for so long and then go cold turkey. and not only did he go cold turkey but then his girlfriend discovered it and made him see a new doctor and get a pill organizer to ween himself more slowly, and it seems this was the subject of their ultimate argument during which he killed himself.

if there is ANY good that can come from his death it is that people will become more aware of the real dangers of modern psychoactive pharmecutecals and how to get off of them without doing any irreperable damage to yourself. I survived my own similar circumstances and I can't even imagine how much worse his was given the volume of drugs we are talking about.

couple to this the revelation that he was preoccupied with repressed memories of childhood abuse by his stepfather--and that he finally confronted his mother about it shortly before he killed himself--and you can see how troubled he would have been. to have such an emotional thing to deal with, where he had wrestled with these memories, and then told his mother and she didn't believe him--in fact she apparently asked him to come home for thanksgiving so he could talk with his stepfather about it personally-- while he was messing with his drugs intake so hard... to me it's clear he killed himself. and now I feel real bad that his girlfriend has been subject of speculation of being a murderer by those crooked LA cops.
chris563
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
also here are some tracks I really like from an ES show (http://www.sweetadeline.net/101098.html) featuring Quasi as his backing band. don't know how long I'll have room to keep them there so get em if you want em.

http://cfmceroz.com/audio0002/Resources/IndependenceDay.mp3
http://cfmceroz.com/audio0002/Resources/bledwhite.mp3
http://cfmceroz.com/audio0002/Resources/Christianbrothers.mp3
http://cfmceroz.com/audio0002/Resources/happiness.mp3
chris563
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
whoops I think chrstian bros needs to be small c:

http://cfmceroz.com/audio0002/Resources/christianbrothers.mp3
unohoo
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Bought that new Nas, "Streets Disciple" and it is incredibly good considering it is a double album. It's part retro, part street, part slickness and yet it still maintains that grit that most hip-hop doesn't have these days. I guess the reason it doesn't sound all over the place was because I think he only uses three main producers on the album outside of himself. Salaam Remi provides some of the albums nastier moments with "Thief's Theme", "Sekou's Story" as well as some of the 'throwback' joints like "You Know My Style" (which samples Run DMC's "Jam Master Jay") and "Virgo" which puts Nas up with Ludacris on the rhyme and Doug E. Fresh on the beat box. L.E.S. appears to be the guy that provides some of the album lusher moments with live bass lines, swirling keyboards and linn drum sounds that put the 'p' in pimping. The album has 24 (or 25) actual songs on it, which is a lot when you consider that when you look at releases that have a track listing of 20+ songs you can bet that at least five are skits.

This one makes it easily into my top three hip-hop releases of the year, its just deciding whether or not this tops Ghostface's "Pretty Toney Album". Lately Nas has been on a good streak of just killing shit. There was some shit that was on a bootleg that didn't make the album that was just as good if not better than what made it.

Other recent purchases have been: T.I.'s "Urban Legend", MF DOOM's "Mm..Food", and Harlem World's own The Diplomats "Diplomatic Immunity 2". (more of that piff)

"Crunk Juice" is still getting major run too.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:52 am Reply with quote
daffy wrote:
ehle -

Are you a Joan Jett fan?

I was in my yoot. What's up? A Joan Jett tribute concert??

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:07 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
What's up? A Joan Jett tribute concert??

No, but she was there for the Ziggy show. I guess she liked it alot. The band was very excited to have a famous rocker in the crowd.

Next show December 16th.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote
I remember that December date, the one I can't attend. Hopefully the show will become a regular gig and I'll be able to catch it eventually.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Dec. concerts ehle, when do you go to experience the Pixies? Isn't it around the 12th?

ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I do believe it IS the 12th!

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ehle,

if your free on the 11th of December come and check out the SHROUD OF LOWELL at Acme Undergound. Showtime is 9:45pm and only $8.00 to hear some great Rock and Roll......

shroudoflowell.com
acmeunderground.com

PEACE!
Macca00
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
An interesting first hand account of record label politics & cultural philisinism at senior levels of said label in 1965 (even in the "golden age" there were a fair few corporate thickos) : http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/03/opinion/03considine.html .
Sadly, no mention of brocoli's importance to 60s music & the countercultural movement (although one of Dylan's early hits could be misheard as "Hey, Mr. Tangerine Man, play a song for me"). Wink
censored-03
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I think Saturday Night Live is re-running the Ashlee Simpson debacle tonight with the retarded skippiddy doo dah "what-the-fuck !" dance she does at the start of a song with the wrong vocal overdub. I loved it at the end of the show when Jude Law says "Ladies and gentleman...what can you do? Live TV !"

Awesome Television!

Another tidbit for tv fans...the director of the Simpson SNL show was Beth McCarthy Miller--the same director of the now-infamous 2004 Super Bowl halftime show that featured Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction". She can look forward to a great career! Twisted Evil

Macca00
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
censored, I reckon the guy on drums would make a better TV director.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Any Jane's Addiction fans will want to check out this new band... Panic Channel.

Here's their web site:
http://thepanicchannel.com

From Rolling Stone:

Quote:
Janes Addiction Minus Perry Farrell Forms New Band, Panic Channel

Saturday, December 04, 2004
If all goes according to plan, fans should get to hear new music from the Panic Channel -- which features three quarters of the most recent lineup of Jane's Addiction (guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins, and bassist Chris Chaney) and former Skycycle vocalist Steve Isaacs -- as early as this month.

"We're gonna go and mix some tracks and potentially put some stuff out, maybe do it online [at thepanicchannel.com]," Navarro said backstage at Los Angeles' Key Club, where the quartet made its official live debut Thursday night as part of a benefit to feed the homeless sponsored by L.A. radio station Indie 103.1.

The Panic Channel played nine songs, all of which are likely to come from their as-yet-untitled debut album, currently being recorded in L.A. with producer Brian Virtue (who worked on the last Jane's album, Strays). At present the group is not working with a label, but Navarro says the project is coming along. "We're almost done recording our record, and we're very happy with where we're at," he says. "We're kind of doing this homegrown, and it's a blast. It's like when we were fifteen years old."

"It's power and melody," says Isaacs, who played Tommy for a year and a half in the stage production of the Who's rock opera, of the group's sound. Perkins believes that all four musicians get to express themselves in the Panic Channel. "You can hear Dave and me and Chris and Steve all say something throughout the songs," he says. "That's important to me: being surrounded by great musicians and then having something to say."

Onstage those unique blended together effectively, as the quartet showed off surprisingly heavy chops on the Tool-esque opener "Go On" and paid homage to Chaney's favorite band, Led Zeppelin, on the "Rain Song"-like ballad, "Outsider." The band hopes to launch a tour this spring.

The quartet has been working together since May, when Navarro, Chaney and Perkins recruited Isaacs to handle vocals for a song they were asked to record for a film. "I met Steve when he was working at as a VJ at MTV," says Navarro, who starred in the cable network's reality show 'Til Death Do Us Part with actress/model wife Carmen Electra. "I knew he was a great singer, and we did this track and it came out phenomenal. The film passed on it, but we continued working and decided, 'Why not just make music?'"

The Jane's members formed the Panic Channel after a less-than-friendly split with their frontman Perry Farrell, who told Rolling Stone at the time, "The band went astray, falling into shallow holes ... Jane was getting stripped of her majesty."

According to Navarro, the new band is still forming its identity. "We're just getting to know each other musically," he says. "Us three have played together for a long time, but the four of us is a new unit."