Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Best Stones album BETWEEN THE BUTTONS.

You piqued my interest in this album again.... and the only format it's available in now is the new hybrid SA-CD.

Will have to scout out a copy of this since I see the only format I have it in is vinyl (and nothing to play it on anymore)

censored-03
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Tattoo You was the Stones last good album particularly the slow side with Tops..after that who cares at all.

Marc- I agree with lshap, Bowie's a true talent. I do agree with you about Nirvana being one of the most over-rated talents ever for such a small discography and small list of really good tunes. So what if Cobain was influenced by The Pixies and The Beatles and as the reviewer kept writing it "Lead Belly". It's Leadbelly genius!. And does anyone really hear a drop of Beatles in Nirvana ?..and don't say Helter Skelter or Why Don't We Do It In The Road because as some folks don't seem to get, The Beatles influenced everybody by default, so saying they influenced one band and not another is not to understand their impact back then or now..still.

Joker-Sam Cooke's A Change Is Gonna Come is on the RS 500. Nobody's going to buy a RS top 500 of the obscuro stuff we love. They are a money making magazine in a country you so eloquently claimed to be (to paraphrase) full of 58 million fucking idiots.

These "obvious" songs are on lists because of what they meant at the time they were released not for what they mean to the lot of you young upstarts Laughing with way too much hindsight and overplayed airtime for most of these songs, thus Like A Rolling Stone not Hurricane on the list Brownstone. When my sister brought LaRS home one day in the middle of 1965 I listened to it and thought "what am I going to do with all my 2 1/2 minute Kinks, Stones, Animals and Beach Boys 45's ? This 7 minute song is strange, different and absolutely rivetingly real" it was as revolutionary to the ears and psyche as Rolling Stone claims it was.

I am no big fan of Rolling Stone magazine though, it has to be taken with more than a grain of salt, if you can believe anything they write at all. This is a magazine that suffers from what I see quite a bit of these days (my old theme), rewriting of musical history. (Why is it that so many who obviously weren't there keep touting Revolver as if it stands alone? That is total hipster hogwash. Rubber Soul and 10's of other Beatle songs before it were as explorative, innovative musically and lyrically and kicked your ass if they didn't break your heart just as much as Revolver. It is an excellent Beatles album with the two Lennon songs that end each side of the American versions and one George tune being the finest.) Frankly the two sided 45 of Rain and Paperback Writer were the most audio asskicking, bass thumping tunes to ever come down the pike at that time, thus Ozzy's love for The Beatles. Back to Rolling Stones's ridiculous rewrites of time intervals.... First of all my wife and I caught a most stupendous mistake in a what I remember to be a car ad in the magazine which talked about Woodstock and it's being part of the Summer Of Love. Rolling Eyes Hello it was the summer of Charles Manson, Chappaquidick, the moon landing and later Altamont idiots! And in the top 500 issue which I am reading now, for some stupid reason, they say Keith Richards woke one morning in early 1965 and recorded the Satisfaction riff onto a "handy cassette player". Now you didn't have to be born then to know even he didn't have his hands on a cassette player that early in time. This might seem like a small error but the articles are full of these sort of glaring mistakes (written by carelessly un-cool or un-informed 30 year olds). If your going to tout the past as great get it straight, if you're going to criticize it, also be sure you know what the hell you're talking about!

censored-03
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
Shannon- I meant to include you in that last post. Thanks for the wonderfully alternative Christmas sampler. Death Cab For Cutie's Christmas is particularly haunting I think.

censored-03
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry lshap I forgot you as well -
Quote:
If you want a true rock band that's kept its edge and its inspiration over decades, look no further than U2. They've got the career the Rolling Stones only presume to have.
Oy vey !

jeremy
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I agree with just about everybody about the hackneyed Rolling Stone list of top rock songs. Nevermind the artists they've overlooked, they haven't even done justice to their choices. The royalties aside, Lennon must have hated the cloying and stupid Imagine.

It is the nature of all lists put together by popular vote or committee that they tend to the safe and conservative. They're always full of tracks that people think are ok rather than rock their world. Better than asking what are the greatest songs of all time (a question bound to attract the worthy rather than the interesting) would be to ask what three songs would you like to listen to now or you have twenty minutes to live, what's your playlist (your not allowed to say you'll be to busy with Jamelia to care).

I was going to say the Olsen twins, but decided that sounded a bit creepy. They maybe 18 or 19 or whatever, but in everybody's mind they're forever pubescent cuties.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:28 am Reply with quote
censored:

"And does anyone really hear a drop of Beatles in Nirvana ?"

Yes, in Helter Skelter, Why Don't We Do It in the Road and Revolution.

"..and don't say Helter Skelter or Why Don't We Do It In The Road..."

Why can't I offer those songs as proof?

"...because as some folks don't seem to get..."

Youhave this annoying habit of constantly assuming the rest of the world is incredibly stupid.

"The Beatles influenced everybody by default..."

Including Nirvana, which renders your first statement moot. You're contradicting yourself.

"...so saying they influenced one band and not another is not to understand their impact back then or now..still."

Once again, censored, you're fighting this imaginary battle against adversaries you assume "just don't get it."

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
Bowie is as much Rock and Roll as the Rolling Stones or Beatles anyday!!!

That said this stuff don't matter when you have new music around like Linkin Park or Korn. The new stuff is coming through loud and clear and the old is being remembered as classics.

The new singer for Widespread Panic is going to take some getting use to, not to mention they need a songwriter.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:08 am Reply with quote
There's no denying some of the grooves coming from harder edged bands like Korn and Jane's Addiction are mindblowingly explosive, but only time will tell if those songs last.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
And in the top 500 issue which I am reading now, for some stupid reason, they say Keith Richards woke one morning in early 1965 and recorded the Satisfaction riff onto a "handy cassette player". Now you didn't have to be born then to know even he didn't have his hands on a cassette player that early in time.

Actually, the Compact Cassette player was invented in 1962, and given their ability as musicians to aquire equipment, it was possible that Richards did have a cassette player handy to record that riff.

I do see your point in the other stuff about RS magazine. While it's one that I enjoy each issue, there are errors that crop up every so often.

I also see the point of omission on the obsure great songs that are either lower on the list than they should be or not there at all. Personally, I do take a lot of their TOP 500 or best of lists with a grain of salt. For me, I treat them more like lists of music that I like and to explore songs and music I may have forgotten about or something I've never heard before.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote
chilly and censored:

Keith Richards has often told the story of how he woke up in the middle of the night with a riff stuck in his head, reached for his guitar and pressed play on his cassette recorder, cranked out the riff that would be Satisfaction, and promptly fell back to sleep without turning the recorder off.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
chilly and censored:

Keith Richards has often told the story of how he woke up in the middle of the night with a riff stuck in his head, reached for his guitar and pressed play on his cassette recorder, cranked out the riff that would be Satisfaction, and promptly fell back to sleep without turning the recorder off.

Thanks for the posting of the story. I've heard various parts of this story over the years. I figured it was true and that even in Richards constant state of iniberation, you tend to remember certain things about your musical past.

Private Joker
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:

Joker-... Nobody's going to buy a RS top 500 of the obscuro stuff we love.

I know; that's why I think lists like that are a joke. They're just annual retreads of the stuffy canon that helps sell magazines to the masses.

Quote:
They are a money making magazine in a country you so eloquently claimed to be (to paraphrase) full of 58 million fucking idiots.

I should amend this to about 90 million. Bush-voters don't have a monopoly on stupidity.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Private Joker wrote:
I should amend this to about 90 million. Bush-voters don't have a monopoly on stupidity.

I'll claim to be one of the 90 million filled with stupidity. Laughing

Plus, censored's 58 million makes it sound like only those that voted for Bush read Rolling Stone, which actually is pretty far from the truth. I don't remember seeing Bush's picture on the cover or featured in any flattering light.

What do the rest of the non-stupidity read to keep up on the musical world? I'm taking suggestions. I already read SPIN and Alternative Press on a regualr basis.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
My hopefully finalized Best of 2004:

1. Slither, Velvet Revolver
2. 99 Problems, Jay-Z
3. American Idiot, Green Day
4. My Happy Ending, Avril Lavigne
5. I Miss You, Blink-182
6. Vertigo, U2
7. The Outsider, A Perfect Circle
8. The First Cut is the Deepest, Sheryl Crow
9. Fall to Pieces, Velvet Revolver
10. TKO, LeTigre
11.Growing on Me, The Darkness
12. Meant to Live, Switchfoot
13. Getting Away with Murder, Godsmack
14. Triple Trouble, Beastie Boys
15. Away from the Sun, Three Doors Down
16. Weak and Powerless, A Perfect Circle
17. Lovesong, 311
18. Somebody Told Me, the Killers
19. What You Waiting For, Gwen Stefani
20. Ch-Ch-Check It Out, Beastie Boys

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
My hopefully finalized Best of 2004:
13. Getting Away with Murder, Godsmack

Great list, with some exceptions for me (songs 4 and 5 and 11).... but small correction... the above song is by Papa Roach, not Godsmack.