Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Kate
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
I caught 6FU last night and am so so pysched. Ruth's new husband, while I like that actor, really gives me the creeps.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
How do I CHANGE the title of the Sopranos forum (rather than create a new one)?
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:08 am Reply with quote
At the risk of seeming to be a traitor, I must say there are some very interesting posts on "The Sopranos" on the NYTimes site. People went in for a great deal of analysis of the most recent episode, much of it perceptive. The Television forum there is still very much alive, as opposed to the depressing Movies forum.

On the subject of Adriana's disappearance making waves, someone opines that Tony can put out the story that Ade fled the country. True, but never forget that Ade's mother is played by Patty ("The Bad Seed") McCormack, who still can do fierce pretty well. (She got a chance to show it in this recent episode.) She may not let sleeping dogs lie as easily as some.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:36 am Reply with quote
Billy, the discussion in Salon's Table Talk was also very lively, insightful and profuse. I am sure you and Lissa would have enjoyed it. I don't know if you need to be a member in order to lurk or not. Membership does cost a bit.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam--If that's the one with the Mafia journalists, I saw it. In any case, you can get daily memberships in Salon by watching an ad a day. I do it daily. One of my most favorite sites of them all.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Billy, the Mafia journalists are in Slate, not Salon. For the latter, there is a subscription, and there is an additional fee for their Table Talk. Very liberal stuff with a West Coast emphasis.
jenifer
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:59 am Reply with quote
Well, Matthew Gilbert of the Boston Globe has finally succeeded in getting me to want to do something that no one, not even my wonderful husband, had been able to get me to do: I now want to watch The Sopranos! Hey, nobody has ever accused me of being on the leading edge of a cultural wave ...

I am pasting the link to the article if anyone cares to read it. The Globe keeps its stuff available for only a couple of days, so this link will work (I think) for just 6/3 and 6/4.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/155/living/The_beauty_of_Edie_Falco+.shtml

I told my husband about the Gilbertian-induced revelation, and he is delighted at the prospect of renting and viewing the earlier seasons on DVD again. He had completely given up on me, although he understood my reasons for staying away before. We both know people who know people, and we find the deceit and hypocrisy in those people to be repulsive beyond words. But I will watch the show to watch Edie Falco, now that I've gotten this perspective on her work.

Plenty of people will say, "But you could have known this if you'd only listened to me ..." and they would be right. I guess I needed to hear it in just the right way at just the right time. Who here cannot relate to that?

I hope you all are doing well, and I'll try to drop in here more often to read your posts. Things at work are still insane, but I got a glimmer of hope yesterday. I only hope it's not the lights of an on-coming train!
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
jenifer--Hey, whatever works. But great as Falco is, she's only one of hundreds of reasons to watch "The Sopranos," which benefits greatly from but is hardly solely dependent on her artistry. This show is one of the supreme works of art of the last 50 years, and never forget it. I guess what I'm doing is saying, as you predicted some would, "But you would have known if you'd only have listened." But, hey, better late than never.
Jynx
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe all this hooey about Adriana being alive ... "nobody saw her body" ... that I'm reading.

Does anyone actually believe Silvio would MISS????

As far as telling Ma, who gives a shit? Tony will take her ass out just like he did the puke-spewing, clueless, over made-up Adriana.

I still think one, if not two, major characters are going down Sunday. ACK! I can't wait ... giddy giddy giddy.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:16 am Reply with quote
C'mon ... somebody post a thought or two on the end of this season's Sorprano's.

Why is Carmella allowing herself to be dragged back in ... is she lonely? Why is Finn getting caught up in something that is eating away, literally, at his person? Why has Tony become so naive suddenly (re: flashbacks, crying jags, moral clauses read: Tony B)? Is Uncle Jr. dying or not? Is there going to be a war since Tony S. got a conscience about Tony B?

Dish dish dish please.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:39 pm Reply with quote
For one thing, they've already killed off Adriana, even if that wasn't a "big" surprise. I think the biggest shocker was Janice killing Richie and that was before the season ended. I think Carmela went back because she had no place to go. No lawyer would take her and she too liked the good life. He was squeezing her out financially and he was making it hard for her to divorce him. Not much choice for her.

I'm looking forward to Sunday but it means waiting another YEAR AND A HALF FOR THE LAST SEASON? Wow!
john s
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Have you been watching the same show? For weeks Chase has set us up as to WHY Carm needs Tony and vice versa...family obligations, business obligations, sex, etc.

I wonder if Tony had Christopher dismember Ad's body (behind the scenes, not shown to us) like he did Ralphie last year. That would be repulsive!

I don't see how Ad's mother is much of an influence on Tony, unless her husband (and Adriana's father) was connected long ago.

She MIGHT just be alive, as we didn't see her body. Good point to ponder and so we'll see tonight, unless Chase saves this card to throw out next season.

I'm so sad about tonight...but looking forward to 6' under!!!!!
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
What an ending!!! True "Soprano" fans can only be cheering this conclusion to the season, as close to an ecstatic ending as a show like this can have. This episode could easily (with minimal tweaking) have been the conclusion of the whole series and I would have been satisfied.

Looks like A.J. will be joining the "family" for sure, probably as a club owner or some such.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Tony S does assert himself, makes some tough decisions, shows what it takes to be a leader, and in so doing quells the brewing disaffection in his own clan. This, in combination with what befalls Johnny Sack, leaves the Sopranos with enough energy and latitude for the next ten shows, though one can sense that the noose is slowly and inevitably tightening around them too.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:09 am Reply with quote
Tony's actions vis a vis the painting and Tony B. reaffirm what I find admirable about this essentially unadmirable character, and why in the realm of mobster protocol, he has always been and will always be a million times the man Johnny Sack is.

The fadeout was as close to "heartwarming" as any moment since that ending of that episode in Season One when Tony arrives home drunk and singing rock and roll. Remember? Sigh.