Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

gromit
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:41 am Reply with quote
Some strange happenings.

I watched Football Factory, about hooligan sporting fans in England. Reasonably good film, although it seemed to have borrowed heavily from The Sopranos. I'm almost positive the director told one main character. "Okay, you'll play the part like Tony Soprano." A few plot elements seemed to also have been "inspired" by The Sopanos as well. Anyway, the film is all about brawling.

About an hour after watching the film, I found myself in a punch-out on the street. Can't remember the last fight I had. I was just casually riding my bicycle on the way to play basketball, when a guy took a left turn directly in front of me. He was turning into a small driveway, and crossing in front of a large bus which was stopped due to traffic. I was riding ont hye side of the bus, so neither of us could see each other. With under a second to react, I slammed into the front of his car. Got the old handlebars-in-the-groin as I flipped over the bicycle and across the hood of his car.

I got up fairly angry, with the back of one hand bleeding mildly from various scrapes. Now if the guy had the sense to apologize or ask if I was okay, I would have left after ranting for only a few minutes. But he started countering my accusations by blaming me, saying I must have been going too fast. So he gets to arguing and yelling at me. So naturally I cursed him and kicked his car, provoking him to shove me. His 2nd mistake. So I started popping him in the mouth. It should have been a fair fight as this guy had an inch or two and about 20 pounds on me, and was maybe 5 years younger. But damn was he a terrible fighter.

I was like Roy Jones Jr., mid-career, out there. Disturbingly, it was a good feeling to be able to punch someone and to take care of myself that way. Fortunately, I quickly feel absurd and foolish in such situations, so I gave it up after delivering 4 straight rights and a mediocre left hook. Only bloodied his mouth a little and staggered him, but didn't bother to knock him down. Not to excuse my behavior, but I usually get hurt and banged up worse than that playing basketball (and indeed I did, after I ditched my mangled bike and hopped a cab to the hoops-yard).

But here's where it gets a bit strange:

The next night I watched La Dolce Vita.
And then a little later I stopped at one roadside DVD stall, and threw a smile at a cute girl in white boots passing by. She half smiles, slows up, and stops to look at the DVD's. Clearly a ploy, waiting for me to follow-up. So I chat up this hottie and get her number. She too is interested in movies. Turns out to be a screenwriter. Goes by the English name Kitty.

So now I think I had better choose my next dvd with care,
seeing as how these films are affecting my life.
I had planned to go with either Eyes Without A Face or The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, but I don't really think I need those kind of complications coming into my life just now.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 am Reply with quote
Dunston Checks In or Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot!

Good job on the punchout. Too bad the guy didn't go down like Roy Jones, Jr. last month.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
censored-03
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Buy a car ! Mr. Green

Marilyn
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Interesting stories, Gromit. Whatever you do, don't watch The Passion of the Christ.

Finally caught up with School of Rock. Man, Jack Black throws everything into his performance but the kitchen sink. I really thought he was out of control of his performance in the beginning. I enjoyed the combination of rocker/teacher he eventually settled into. This is a very fun film that always held my attention. A great way to spend a Friday night after finally being sprung from work.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:24 am Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
Buy a car ! Mr. Green

You kidding me. It's those soft car drivers who get punched out all the time. Bike riders are tougher.

Actually there is a strong incentive in China to avoid public fights. For even a simple argument, people come out of the woodwork to watch. I must have had an instant crowd of 15 people watching my little dust-up. And then when I wheeled away my mangled bike, I noticed another 15 people across the street, including 5 young cooks who gave me the thumbs up and waved.

People here love to watch these things. But worse, they also get involved. Usually you'd end up with about 10 people grabbing you, and each of them taking sides on who was wrong. And the whole thing just keeps attracting more people and getting noisier, seemingly without end. It becomes Street Theater of The Absurd. Spectators will take up the argument if one of the main participants starts to tire.

Then when the police arrive, they either sensibly try to get everyone to leave, or more usually bring both parties to the police station, with the aim of getting some money out of the foreigner. It's a lengthy and draining process, and usually the fight itself is very unsatisfying as the crowd intercedes.

So I felt very fortunate to get out of there quickly.
Still had time to get some hoops in.

So far, I've preferred my Mastroianni cameo over my (bicycle) hooligan role.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
Gromit, I recommend Priscilla, Queen of the Desert or perhaps Ed Wood as your next film. Balance is key.

Remember: Breathe in "I Am," exhale "Peace."

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Gromit if you must fight this might be quite instructional...
http://www.centralparkmedia.com/dbimages/USMD_2314a.jpg
...although it sounds like you came out on the winning side..if there is such a thing!

Haiku
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Watched Ju-On (the Japanese version of The Grudge) and it was indeed creepy, but definitely not as scary as The Ring.

Ju-On had some good gasp moments and the ghosty characters were creepy (and pasty and bloody). The quick camera work made for good now-you-see'em-now-you-don't moments and the creepy sounds were very good. However, the story was random and it didn't make much sense to me. There never was any explanation why the ghosts do what they do (even outside of the haunted house) or why some people survive for a while, while others don't. I'm glad I rented it, but I was ready for a good scare - and one to last a few weeks, like The Ring did for me.

I'm curious to watch the American remake (although it's the same director) to see whether there is something more.

Nice punch-up Gromit.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
Scarier than any Ring or Grudge was Alain Resnais' short masterpiece Night and Fog. 31 minutes of alternating peaceful landscapes and more horror than horror could ever be real images of death of millions. I am still completely shocked that there could be anyone as ignorant as someone who is in Holocaust denial. These images are hardcore and sad. Turn away from them if you have to (I had to a couple of times) but what you see that makes you turn away to begin with will stay with you forever.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:54 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
...what you see....will stay with you forever.

Ehle,
That is exactly the reason for my uncompromising attitude toward Hitler and Nazism. World War II and the Holocaust were going on while I was a child and I saw the pictures in the news after the War as the camps were being opened. I have never needed to see another picture or read another story of those atrocities. In fact, I can't. And to this day I think that the two words Hitler and Nazi should be preserved only in a special place of hatred in our language and in our memories and not ever trivialized by use in other unrelated contexts.

I am just simply hard over on the matter.
Charles
pedersencr
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
My apologies if I should have said that in The Lobby. I didn't mean to start a discussion in here.
Charles
Syd
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've been going through a major project to catalog videotapes full of material from television. I was pleasantly surprised that I had recorded the The Thief of Bagdad--the 1924 Douglas Fairbanks version, which I'd never watched. I found it to be irresistible, full of high spirited action by Fairbanks, some very good romance, a lot of good humor, and wonderful sets and costuming, and a cracking good story. The special effects are somewhat dated but were good for the time. The guardian ape still works, and I wish he's had more screen time. Has a nice appearance by Lady Wakasa's avatar Anna May Wong as a Mongol slave girl/spy. She was sixteen years old at the time and more than held her own against Fairbanks.

This has been remade, most notably with Sabu, but they got it right the first time.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:12 am Reply with quote
Gromit:

As a veteran of numerous streetfights, I can vouch for your experience that American streetfights seem to attract people hellbent on intervention.

In one fight a friend and some other stranger thought they were doing me a favor by grabbing me, but this left my opponent to use his keys and punch me in my face about five times, cutting me open, while I tried to wriggle free. (Don't worry, once I broke free I launched two left hooks that landed square on the key-guy's dome, which quickly ended the melee - a friend described the noise of my fist hitting his head as "a bat smacking against a watermelon.).

Agitated, though, that a guy I destroyed was able to cut me open because my dumbass friends thought they were being the good Samaritan, I vowed that if I was going to get my ass kicked, it would be due to running into someone who could kick my ass, not because a bunch of morons would help me get my ass kicked.

So now, if something is about to go down, I quietly tell my friends beforehand, "If anything happens, you can grab anybody but me. Because anyone who touches me is getting fucking drilled."

Problem with that approach is, you gotta keep your word. So fire away, street fightin' man.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
ehle64
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Gromit:

As a veteran of numerous streetfights, I can vouch for your experience that American streetfights seem to attract people hellbent on intervention

Scary, scary stuff. I deplore violence.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gromit:

As a veteran of numerous streetfights, I can vouch for your experience that American streetfights seem to attract people hellbent on intervention.

In one fight a friend and some other stranger thought they were doing me a favor by grabbing me, but this left my opponent to use his keys and punch me in my face about five times, cutting me open, while I tried to wriggle free. (Don't worry, once I broke free I launched two left hooks that landed square on the key-guy's dome, which quickly ended the melee - a friend described the noise of my fist hitting his head as "a bat smacking against a watermelon.).

Agitated, though, that a guy I destroyed was able to cut me open because my dumbass friends thought they were being the good Samaritan, I vowed that if I was going to get my ass kicked, it would be due to running into someone who could kick my ass, not because a bunch of morons would help me get my ass kicked.

So now, if something is about to go down, I quietly tell my friends beforehand, "If anything happens, you can grab anybody but me. Because anyone who touches me is getting fucking drilled."

Problem with that approach is, you gotta keep your word. So fire away, street fightin' man.

welcome to Fight Club. brownstone, you are clearly overcompensating for "little man syndrome".